diesel truck upgrade time

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
Precision

diesel truck upgrade time

Post by Precision »

Last year, I sold a very good shape 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 (gasser) for a ugly 2005 dodge Ram 2500 diesel 4x4 and it cost me about $2500 extra. BUT I have diesel and 4x4 and a Pre DEF engine.

I am wrapping the truck, my first panel was kinda sketchy but still WAY better than the paint. I put on Fender flares after cutting out and bondoing the wheel well rust. Yesterday my RDS 95 Gallon auxillary tank and tool box combo arrived. Side note the install instructions are generic and refer to 3 mount tabs and 3 fastener set ups. I have two tabs and 3 fastener sets. Customer service was "at lunch" and would call me back in an hour. Still waiting 6 hours later (now closed for the day).

The good side, other than the tab question, it looks like hooking it up to the fuel line and bolting it down is pretty easy. Should take about 1-1.5 hours once I get the tab answer.

That brings me to just over 120 gallons on board or roughly 1800 miles of mixed driving and 2000 highway before running dry. SHTF vehicle. Can even tow the Prius on the trailer if we are really serious.

Next week the AC problem is getting fixed so the GF / Fiance / wife in a week can be comfortable.

In another month or three, getting a weld it yourself front bumper with winch capability and a 12k winch.

Look at where I am having to spend my ammo budget, since there are no bullets to buy. lol
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Precision

Re: diesel truck upgrade time

Post by Precision »

pictures

ugly version of the truck --- well it was going to be but even at 450x337 pixels it says file is too large. NOt sure why? Tried drag and drop and add file on attachments.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Check the file size, not the pixel size. I think the limit here is 800kb.

The dodges are notious for rusting out wheel wells. You didn't get rid of it, you only slowed it down.

If it's an suto, it's a 48RE, and since it's behind a dodge, expect to replace it, sooner than later. If it's a manual, unless the previous owner had a light foot, expect to replace the clutch. As it's an early 4v (ISB) I'd wager even money you have at least one cracked valve seat, most likely an exhaust seat, especially if it had any kind of tuner in it. The injector pump (CP3) is notorious for having issues withe the FCA(fuel control actuator) You can replace just the FCA, but the local dealer will insist you have to replace the whole pump - don't believe them. The FCA is $130ish, vs 4 figures for a new pump.

Oh, expect to replace the front ball joints, Cummins dodges are notorious for eating them, due to the half ton weight of the motor.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
evan price

Post by evan price »

So i recently picked up an 03 F350 Super Duty 4x4 with the 6.0 Powerstroke and automatic with 175k for a grand.
An 02 F250 Super Duty 2wd with the 7.3 powerstroke and auto trans and 300k for a grand.
A 96 F450 super Duty auto trans dually with 7.3 powestroke and 450k for 500.
They all run and drive.
Those Cummins motors do keep the Dodge resale values high.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
Precision

Post by Precision »

HTRN wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:09 am Check the file size, not the pixel size. I think the limit here is 800kb.

The dodges are notious for rusting out wheel wells. You didn't get rid of it, you only slowed it down.

If it's an suto, it's a 48RE, and since it's behind a dodge, expect to replace it, sooner than later. If it's a manual, unless the previous owner had a light foot, expect to replace the clutch. As it's an early 4v (ISB) I'd wager even money you have at least one cracked valve seat, most likely an exhaust seat, especially if it had any kind of tuner in it. The injector pump (CP3) is notorious for having issues withe the FCA(fuel control actuator) You can replace just the FCA, but the local dealer will insist you have to replace the whole pump - don't believe them. The FCA is $130ish, vs 4 figures for a new pump.

Oh, expect to replace the front ball joints, Cummins dodges are notorious for eating them, due to the half ton weight of the motor.
Yes the wheel wells will need to be addressed every few years.
It is a 48RE which I just had rebuilt. My experience is about 120k between rebuilds. The previous owner rebuilt it but didn't fix the 8+ inch crack in the housing so the trans fluid poured out while driving and...
Noted on the FCA. Thanks, I did not know that. The upper half of the engine was rebuilt about 25k miles ago to include new injectors so perhaps I will get good mileage out of that. To be seen.
Precision

Post by Precision »

as to the file size they are all under 420 kb. will try again now.

nope failed again even at 305kb
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

evan price wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:13 pm So i recently picked up an 03 F350 Super Duty 4x4 with the 6.0 Powerstroke and automatic with 175k for a grand.
This is what is known as a "miracle" :ugeek: :mrgreen:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
g-man

Post by g-man »

A buddy from work has an Excursion with the old 7.3L PS, and it’s got something like 400k on it. I plan on my 6.4 F250 going that long, except that it’ll take a rebuild in the near future to get the other 200k. Of course it’ll live the entire latter half with the emissions/ regen problem ‘solved’, which is a plus. Can’t really do the aux tank with the camper shell (I know it technically can but requires carving into the shell for a filler), but would like one of the larger options for the stock location at some point.

Still kick myself every time I think about the ‘06 3500 Dodge with the 5.9 and 6-speed manual I never should’ve sold...
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

g-man wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:07 pmOf course it’ll live the entire latter half with the emissions/ regen problem ‘solved’, which is a plus.
That fix worked so well, the regen system caused my brothers Truck to burn to the ground. You'd think he'd learn after dealing with a Ford dump truck years earlier. He wised up and bought a GMC gasser as a replacement.

g-man

Post by g-man »

HTRN wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:30 am
g-man wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:07 pmOf course it’ll live the entire latter half with the emissions/ regen problem ‘solved’, which is a plus.
That fix worked so well, the regen system caused my brothers Truck to burn to the ground. You'd think he'd learn after dealing with a Ford dump truck years earlier. He wised up and bought a GMC gasser as a replacement.
Yeah, the whole "lets dump a bunch of extra fuel into #s 7 & 8 so we can cook the DPF clean" was such an awesome idea. /sarc

Come the day, the thought of swapping in one of the new 7.3L gassers has crossed my mind.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum