Texas, yer drunk

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
Jered

Re: Texas, yer drunk

Post by Jered »

HTRN wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:07 am Montana? Try NYC. It's dropped down as low as 12°f overnight this year, and franklly that hasn't been the coldest in the last five years - it hit -5°f one night a couple years ago, and I did the cup of water trick...
It's dropped almost low enough in Montana that the temperature is the same on the F or the C scale. :P
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Jered wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:02 am <stares in Montana weather>
LOL, yeah. Funny you should say that. Son&Heir is looking at a possible relocation to Ft Benton.

We're just shaking our heads here as this town stays shutdown a second day. Nothing precipitatig, good pack on the roads, nothing in the way of any hills. 2 wheel drive is just fine.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
g-man

Post by g-man »

2° here last night. Already had to go supply firewood to one of my workmate’s wife (he’s scheduled to come back from Poland soon), and then go help some of my in-laws’ neighbors, who had their water freeze up at the anti-siphon valve right outside the house. As I noted to a friend who’s just NW of Ft Worth “Of course we also have a generator, spare gas, propane, firewood, bottled water, and an RV to retreat to should the power go out. So Murphy has remained occupied f*cking with the less prepared...”
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Jered

Post by Jered »

blackeagle603 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:23 pm LOL, yeah. Funny you should say that. Son&Heir is looking at a possible relocation to Ft Benton.
I'm like 70 miles north of there. If he makes it, he should hit me up to shoot some full auto and my Barrett.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

thanks, I imagine the jarhead would be there with bells on for that and making any new connections.

H
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
FelixEstrella

Post by FelixEstrella »

Meanwhile in California ....
california.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Luck is where you find it—but to find it you have to look for it" -- Eugene Fluckey.
Blogspot
picsig
g-man

Post by g-man »

FelixEstrella wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:25 am Meanwhile in California ....

california.jpg
And promptly got taxed on it.

:roll:
Termite

Post by Termite »

I will just point out that a fireplace/wood stove and a few wheelbarrow loads of wood will get most folks thru winter power outages.

Personally, I wouldn't build a house without a fireplace, other than maybe deep south Florida. Adds to the resale value of the house.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
g-man

Post by g-man »

Ayup. And in about 3 months, when everybody has forgotten about it, there will be “free wood” piles that just need bucking and splitting. So I’ll source a half-cord or so and stack it. It’ll just cost me the gas for the chainsaw and some elbow grease to split it later when it dries.

Did a hot-wash with the wife and wrote down or went ahead and ordered the things from Amazon that we noted we should definitely have had on hand. Also turned the situation on its head and asked ourselves what we would have needed had this been a power outage with the temps over 100° daily for a week. We’ll source that stuff as it comes available in the spring, or keep our eyes peeled on the various used-stuff marketplaces. Full AAR will probably follow on the blog in the next week or so.
Termite

Post by Termite »

g-man wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:12 am And in about 3 months, when everybody has forgotten about it.......
Yep, that's how you can pick up deals on lots of stuff, such as generators.

A note on generators: It amazes me that so many people will put a generator up after hurricane/ice storm is over, and not run it again for many months to a yr or more. And then get mad because next time they need it, it won't run due to plugged carb, dead battery, etc.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."