Texas, yer drunk

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
Vonz90

Re: Texas, yer drunk

Post by Vonz90 »

g-man wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:08 pm
Vonz90 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:39 pm Nothing wrong with a split system for the HVAC, but I don't know it will move the needle on what generator you get in the end. An emergency generator probably will not run your heat pumps and whole house setup will run it either way.
Starting load is what I'd be worried about. For example, starting a 4-ton compressor with a 10k generator is a big stretch, and only if I install a soft-start on the compressor first. However, with three 1.5-tons, a 10k wouldn't have an issue starting them individually, and in an emergency we'd only have to run a single section at a time. Example: Current house would use one for the kids rooms and guest room (1.5 ton + 3 wall units), one for the main living area (1.5 ton + 1/2 wall unit(s)), and a third for the master suite and playroom side of the house (1.5 ton + 3 wall units). I realize this is more expensive than a single 4-ton compressor and the same number of wall units, but it offers a significant upgrade in...
I get that, but I do not think it is the right way to look at it. If you want to run your whole house on a generator, then install one that will run your whole house. Cutting it as finely as you seem to be contemplating is not really going to save you any money and will cause headaches later.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Weetabix wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:49 pm I think those split units are mostly 220.
Put one in remodel of old garage granny flat this past summer. 15A 110vac for a 400 sq ft space.

Central HVAC might be cheaper to install depending on how many rooms you have in mind. I'll go with water lines in the floor for heat if I ever build again.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

That's what I'm talking about!

I've seen repurposed EV batteries home brewed for home use and now seeing companies built up around that and selling as a turnkey solution

https://www.pv-magazine.com/2021/02/26/ ... batteries/
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story