money fantasy

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
Precision

Re: money fantasy

Post by Precision »

HTRN wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:50 pm
Precision wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:37 pm The One Rule. Unless you are POOR, the money must be spent within 6 months AND used for fun things. .
Define "fun" :twisted:
fun for this exercise should be read as uses for "mad Money".

Nothing that is a mandatory, drudgery or on the honey do list... like paying down the mortgage, sending the kid to vocational school or college, adding insulation to the attic.

Things that would work. Building a barn to add horses to the ZA plan, down payment on a double rifle in 416 Rigby, Enclosure for the new Pet Tiger.
Most of the things posted so far are very good examples.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

It was an 80s 48 foot Viking 48' foot sport fisherman, with an ask of around $130k. To buy new, they start at just over a million, and go up from there, I think they average around 1.5m.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

The C25 listing expired, but the trailerable centerboard 25' is likely to be a good option. I learned to sail back in the '90s on a Venture 24: iron centerboard, nice roomy cockpit, cuddy cabin with a 2-burner alcohol stove. You wouldn't want to live on it, but it's a nice weekender and it could get up and go. One summer day with a good steady 20kt breeze on Lake Erie, a bigger ketch came out and tried to cross tacks with us, but we blew his doors off -- after luffing the second time, he gave up and turned back.

The owner of the boat looks at me (on the helm) and says, "Uh, the lee rail's in the water -- you maybe wanna bear off a little?" "I'LL SHOOT THE MAN WHO DOUSES SAIL!" :lol: :lol: (I did ease the helm, though. A good helmsman does as the owner asks.)
Last edited by MiddleAgedKen on Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Precision wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:45 pm Although I am firmly in the camp that the best boats are those owned by friends and family, I was interested in seeing your idea of awesome. HOwever the listing expired.
Indeed. But I moved away from my friends with boats, plus I want to sail. There's a nice Aquarius 23 on a galvanized trailer for sale down in Seward at the moment but for the money they are asking, I'd rather hold out for something 2-3 feet longer.

My favorite designer has a fast 23 footer but it doesn't seem to have the interior space for an encloseable head. A big build, too. It's an updated version of the boat which won the first Mini Transat, which was more of a "run what you brung" affair with production boats, than what that race has become now. He has a nice 26 foot design too, but it's not really trailerable. And again, a huge build project although there are pre-cut CNC kits to speed it up quite a bit.

https://boatbuildercentral.com/product/ ... lans-vg23/
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

I once harbored a boatbuilding dream, and I fell in love with the designs and design philosophy of the late lamented George Buehler, who struck me in his way as rather Franklinesque, for clever ideas and insistence on the pragmatic and practical. I wanted to build an Archimedes, or maybe an Uncle Sam.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

There's a few Beuhler builds on Youtube. Salt and Tar is a young couple nearing completion of a 35' ketch down in Napa, and there are at least a couple of Diesel Duck trawler builds, both in steel and wood. I like a lot about Beuhler's design philosophy even though most of his boats don't really appeal to me. Like a lot of designs targeted towards amateur builders, and in spite of his practical construction methods, they seem to prioritize a traditional, or "salty" look over practicality (though they are still plenty practical) in actual use. One of the reasons I like the VG23 I linked above, is the modern, performance oriented design. I'd build it with the "offshore" cockpit option which adds a small bridgedeck and moves the rudder forward into a notch at the expense of cockpit size. The purpose of that is reducing the amount of water that can be taken on in the event of a boarding wave.

One other limitation I would run into is the size of my available building space... I could probably do a 20-22 footer without too much difficulty, but even with the extra long garage I have going bigger would be tough, and outdoor building is kind of a no-go because Alaska. Aluminum or steel would make that a little more practical, but I actually like most of my neighbors. Saw the website of a guy who built an aluminum version of a Didi 26 using a steel double axle trailer as the strongback for his building jig. That could maybe work since I could pull it out of the shop and park it in the driveway if I needed to work on one of the vehicles indoors. Wouldn't really want to do that with an uncompleted composite or plywood hull.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Precision

Post by Precision »

Vonz90 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:47 am I would not take the money. I had fun once and hated it.
For that comment, your wife is now also a recipient of $15k annually as well. Just to insure you never have any fun again.

Made me laugh.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Don't give the money to wimmin - they'll just waste it on things like food and heat! :mrgreen:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

Thanks for that information, NPR. I'll check out some of those videos.

Steel is tempting, I'll say -- I always thought Inland Seas made a nice steel powerboat.
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

Cape Buff hunt methinks to start.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.