money fantasy

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
Netpackrat

Re: money fantasy

Post by Netpackrat »

For the first year, a sailboat, or down payment on a nice sailboat. Year after that, put it towards having the rest of the body and the paint work of my MG done by a professional.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Netpackrat wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:28 am For the first year, a sailboat, or down payment on a nice sailboat. Year after that, put it towards having the rest of the body and the paint work of my MG done by a professional.
There's a bunch of 80s era Catalina 30 foot listed on Craigslist in the mid atlantic area for under 15k...

Hurmm..

More importantly, there's this:
https://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/boa/ ... 19522.html
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

HTRN wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:35 am
Netpackrat wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:28 am For the first year, a sailboat, or down payment on a nice sailboat. Year after that, put it towards having the rest of the body and the paint work of my MG done by a professional.
There's a bunch of 80s era Catalina 30 foot listed on Craigslist in the mid atlantic area for under 15k...

Hurmm..

I need to have something trailerable, so a Catalina 25 with the swing keel tops the short list, alternatively maybe a Nimble Kodiak if I decided I want to give up some sailing performance and go with a motorsailer. If I get the C25 I want to modify it to have a mini-pilothouse setup to allow for inside steering in bad conditions, because Alaska. There's not currently anything available in either plans or factory built that really meets my wish list, which is a trailerable sailboat that sleeps 4, has an enclosed head, and with inside steering capability. Aluminum construction would also be nice but again, there are almost no trailerable aluminum sailboats. Has to have shallow draft (i.e. centerboard or lifting keel, maybe fixed shoal keel).

Has to be trailerable behind a full size pickup truck... Anchorage is the least accurate city name there is. There is no harbor, no anchorage, and massive tidal swings that leave most of the upper Cook Inlet as mudflat at low tide. Anybody here who has a boat either trailers, or keeps it in Whittier ($$$) or Seward. I'm not really willing to have a boat in the water that is too far away to check on whenever I want to. At least on a trailer in my driveway I won't have to worry about it sinking or getting loose, and I can work on it without making an expedition out of it. If I still lived someplace I could keep a boat in the water I would be after something in the 35 foot range probably... Remove the need to trailer it without an oversize permit and there are lots of options.

Closest thing in a factory boat is the Compac 23 pilothouse, which hits pretty much every requirement but it only sleeps 3. Which just means one of the kids has to sleep on the floor. :twisted: But those are an $80,000 boat new, and the oldest of them was made in 2012 or so, which means they are all new enough to be well out of my price range. Then there is the whole depreciating asset thing. It makes a little more sense to buy a C25 or Aquarius/Balboa 25 that's already depreciated out, and make it into what I want.

There are also a few plans available that are close, but most of them are plywood, or plywood cored composite which isn't the end of the world, and also some in foam sandwich (often an option on the plywood cored boats). Aluminum also becomes more of a possibility if I wanted to adapt one of the ply designs to Al, but no matter what I'd be looking at another massive, years long project. For now I would rather find something close and modify it.

OTOH, if I had $15k in mad money showing up each year, then I could probably afford to pay somebody in Seward or Valdez to maintain my boat and check on it, so that I would just need to show up on weekends/vacation and use it. :D
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Netpackrat wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:31 am OTOH, if I had $15k in mad money showing up each year, then I could probably afford to pay somebody in Seward or Valdez to maintain my boat and check on it, so that I would just need to show up on weekends/vacation and use it. :D
Honestly, if I had serious money to spend on a boat, I'd buy this tomorrow:
https://longisland.craigslist.org/bod/d ... 23967.html

Then try to talk my brother into getting me an in at the private yacht club he belongs to as slip space there is vastly cheaper than at a typical marina - a slip big enough for that boat would probably run 7-8 grand a year.

Then all I have to do is find cheap dock diesel without water in it and add a fighting chair(which are shockingly expensive when bought new)
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
evan price

Post by evan price »

Let's see.
New Clay sports guns for the family.
Down payment on the cabin on our land on the island.
Concrete floor in the barn, with a twin post lift. Maybe an add on to the shop to be a dedicated reloading room
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Precision wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:42 pm
Weetabix wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:00 pm Guided sheep hunt in Alaska. When I lived there, I never could afford it. I worked with a guy whose employment agreement included 6 or 8 weeks off during hunting season to guide hunts. It always sounded great.
Would that guided hunt run $15k? Sounds like great fun though.
Dunno. Guide fees, air fare, probably some equipment needed. Ammo costs to practice should cover the rest. :roll:
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

Much as I'd like to say 'buy ALL the ammo' and a .50BMG rifle, I think I'd start the restoration work on the '71 Challenger sitting in my garage collecting stored objects all over it. Lay in the remaining parts I need, pull the engine and send it in for cleanup and machining (I want to rebuild it myself); later payments would continue the restore and maybe be put to a modern engine/trans.

But my boss just bought 80 acres and a barn in a state that is not illannoy and is moving there soon. The thought of having our own land... some room, with a decent house and a workshop; the 15K every year might be the bump that makes it possible...
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

I would not take the money. I had fun once and hated it.
Precision

Post by Precision »

Netpackrat wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:31 am
HTRN wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:35 am

Hurmm..

I need to have something trailerable, so a Catalina 25 with the swing keel tops the short list, alternatively maybe a Nimble Kodiak if I decided I want to give up some sailing performance and go with a motorsailer. If I get the C25 I want to modify it to have a mini-pilothouse setup to allow for inside steering in bad conditions, because Alaska. There's not currently anything available in either plans or factory built that really meets my wish list, which is a trailerable sailboat that sleeps 4, has an enclosed head, and with inside steering capability. Aluminum construction would also be nice but again, there are almost no trailerable aluminum sailboats. Has to have shallow draft (i.e. centerboard or lifting keel, maybe fixed shoal keel).

Has to be trailerable behind a full size pickup truck... Anchorage is the least accurate city name there is. There is no harbor, no anchorage, and massive tidal swings that leave most of the upper Cook Inlet as mudflat at low tide. Anybody here who has a boat either trailers, or keeps it in Whittier ($$$) or Seward. I'm not really willing to have a boat in the water that is too far away to check on whenever I want to. At least on a trailer in my driveway I won't have to worry about it sinking or getting loose, and I can work on it without making an expedition out of it. If I still lived someplace I could keep a boat in the water I would be after something in the 35 foot range probably... Remove the need to trailer it without an oversize permit and there are lots of options.

Closest thing in a factory boat is the Compac 23 pilothouse, which hits pretty much every requirement but it only sleeps 3. Which just means one of the kids has to sleep on the floor. :twisted: But those are an $80,000 boat new, and the oldest of them was made in 2012 or so, which means they are all new enough to be well out of my price range. Then there is the whole depreciating asset thing. It makes a little more sense to buy a C25 or Aquarius/Balboa 25 that's already depreciated out, and make it into what I want.

There are also a few plans available that are close, but most of them are plywood, or plywood cored composite which isn't the end of the world, and also some in foam sandwich (often an option on the plywood cored boats). Aluminum also becomes more of a possibility if I wanted to adapt one of the ply designs to Al, but no matter what I'd be looking at another massive, years long project. For now I would rather find something close and modify it.

OTOH, if I had $15k in mad money showing up each year, then I could probably afford to pay somebody in Seward or Valdez to maintain my boat and check on it, so that I would just need to show up on weekends/vacation and use it. :D
It would seem that I am not the only one who thinks through complicated thought projects that likely will not happen anytime soon.
I find it a sort of meditation and often when doing such things I find solutions to real world issues pop up in my brain.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Precision

Post by Precision »

HTRN wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:39 am
Netpackrat wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:31 am OTOH, if I had $15k in mad money showing up each year, then I could probably afford to pay somebody in Seward or Valdez to maintain my boat and check on it, so that I would just need to show up on weekends/vacation and use it. :D
Honestly, if I had serious money to spend on a boat, I'd buy this tomorrow:
https://longisland.craigslist.org/bod/d ... 23967.html

Then try to talk my brother into getting me an in at the private yacht club he belongs to as slip space there is vastly cheaper than at a typical marina - a slip big enough for that boat would probably run 7-8 grand a year.

Then all I have to do is find cheap dock diesel without water in it and add a fighting chair(which are shockingly expensive when bought new)
Although I am firmly in the camp that the best boats are those owned by friends and family, I was interested in seeing your idea of awesome. HOwever the listing expired.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/