Fishing with a Baitcasting Rig

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
Erik

Re: Fishing with a Baitcasting Rig

Post by Erik »

We use heavy bait for catfish(wels) and pike. The heaviest I remember using right now was a 2lbs live bait for pike. Was years ago though, and I used the 4-8 rod for it. To say that I cast it would probably be incorrect, more lobbed it out a few yards. :)
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."
John Wayne
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

MarkD wrote:I've noticed that most serious [strike]bass[/strike] fishermen use a baitcasting reel, and have wondered if that's something I ought to add to my "arsenal"
Fixed it for ya. Missed out on this because AlaskaTRX and I were out in BFE for the last few days, without means of electronic communication. Spinning reels are popular because they work, anybody can be taught to cast with one, and most fishing doesn't really require the control or distance that can be afforded by a good level-wind bait casting reel. Since they also require the development of a bit of skill to use, it isn't surprising that most people will skip the level-wind. Baitcasting rigs will predominate when fishing for species or using techniques that require a great deal of precision and feel. For example, steelheaders tend to be religious in their use of level-wind rigs, because those fish like to mouth the lure softly, and it takes a sensitive touch to detect a strike. And where long, precise casting is required, there is nothing better.

Other advantages include the ability to be geared more highly than a spinning reel, if fast retrieves are required, and in most cases, increased durability. In my experience, spinning reels tend to be pretty much disposable. Even the so-called "better" brands don't last more than a couple of seasons of hard use, and are not really worth repairing. In contrast, level-wind reels tend to be far more durable, despite their mechanical complexity. My brother is still using my dad's 1970s era Ambassadeur 5000, and it works as good as it ever did. It's had to be repaired once or twice in that time, but the point is that they are worth repairing, unlike most spinning reels I have encountered. I bought my 5500c at least 19 years ago, after giving up on spinning reels, and it seems to be okay (granted, my fishing has been infrequent for the last 10 years or so). We've had others over the years, and I don't think we have ever thrown one away.

The big disadvantage is that the bait casting rig will always require more skill to use than a comparable spinning reel. Use too much thumb pressure on the spool, and you'll just thrash the water in front of you instead of casting. Too little, and the spool will overspeed the outgoing line, resulting in a nasty backlash that must be cleared before the retrieve can begin. But, backlash builds character, and will teach you not to do that again.

Finally, there is something to be said for fishing a level-wind rig while surrounded by the oafs and their spinning reels. Once you've mastered it, you'll be able to reach farther, cast more accurately, and have a better feel for a soft strike. And there is the way they whine as the line races off the spool on the way out. There is just something magic about that sound.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Erik

Post by Erik »

Netpackrat wrote: In my experience, spinning reels tend to be pretty much disposable. Even the so-called "better" brands don't last more than a couple of seasons of hard use, and are not really worth repairing. In contrast, level-wind reels tend to be far more durable, despite their mechanical complexity. My brother is still using my dad's 1970s era Ambassadeur 5000, and it works as good as it ever did. It's had to be repaired once or twice in that time, but the point is that they are worth repairing, unlike most spinning reels I have encountered. I bought my 5500c at least 19 years ago, after giving up on spinning reels, and it seems to be okay (granted, my fishing has been infrequent for the last 10 years or so). We've had others over the years, and I don't think we have ever thrown one away.
Using the ABU classic 5000 series as a benchmark isn't really fair to spinning reels. The early ABU reels was amazing works of precision, I have one that's well over 50 years old and is still in perfect working order, and I have two 6500 over 20years old that also work as well as when they were new, despite real abuse.
ABU also made some really great spinning reels in the 70s, the Cardinal 50-series, that was also really rugged, but in the 80's they desided that they couldn't maintain quality and still keep the reels affordable, so quality went down.

A bit of trivia: ABU was a clock factory close to the famous seatroutriver of Morrum in south Sweden. The swedish King was an avid fisherman, and often went there, and one year the clock factory decided to use their skills as clockmakers and make a fishing reel for the King. And the rest is history. (On the old ABU Ambassadeur series, you can still se the mark for Royal Court Supplier)

I'm not so sure if the difference in quality between spinning and casting reels still is as big, but it's been a while since I bought a new casting reel. But it's certainly more sensitive, and it's also more rugged, if you are after really big fish it's your only choice. So +1 :)
John Wayne
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

HTRN wrote:Seekher - here' a vid you might want to watch.

The guy isn't casting 150 feet. He's casting 150 YARDS.

HTRN
Interesting, but IMHO not all that useful. In surf fishing the hot spot is the point just beyond where the waves are breaking, anything beyond that is just showing off. Maybe some beaches are shallow enough that the waves break 100+ yard out, but I've never fished there.

I also don't know about spinning reels being disposable, my primary freshwater reel for the last 25-30 years has been a Mitchell 500 that may be older than I am. Granted, it doesn't see real hard use, but it's still going strong.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

MarkD wrote:I also don't know about spinning reels being disposable, my primary freshwater reel for the last 25-30 years has been a Mitchell 500 that may be older than I am. Granted, it doesn't see real hard use, but it's still going strong.
I destroyed a couple of Mitchells on large salmon before I gave up on them and learned to use a level wind like my dad's.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Lokidude

Post by Lokidude »

Erik wrote:
HTRN wrote:
SeekHer wrote:All I know is that I could cast, distances that amazed me! 100', 125' 140' once I got the rhythm down for the cast and if the wind was right.
And that was only with 2 ounces. I've seen surf rods rated for 3 times that. :shock:
most serious carp anglers
You're joking, right? Carp? You mean my swimming archery target? I've heard rumors of people eating them, but having seen where they live and what they eat, I cannot fathom why.
workinwifdakids wrote: We've thus far avoided the temptation to jack an entire forum.

But what the hell.
Standing for Truth, Justice, and the American Way!
Fivetoes

Post by Fivetoes »

And that was only with 2 ounces. I've seen surf rods rated for 3 times that. :shock: [/quote]
most serious carp anglers[/quote]

You're joking, right? Carp? You mean my swimming archery target? I've heard rumors of people eating them, but having seen where they live and what they eat, I cannot fathom why.[/quote]

I used to have a neighbor who would go up a creek along the Muskingum river in the spring and bring back a bushel of carp.
I would be at work and he would insist my wife take some of them because they were "GOOD EATING". My opinion was that they tasted like a mud hole and the wife was stuck with them.
They can be a good fighter if their lip doesn't rip in reeling them in.
Erik

Post by Erik »

Lokidude wrote:
Erik wrote: most serious carp anglers
You're joking, right? Carp? You mean my swimming archery target? I've heard rumors of people eating them, but having seen where they live and what they eat, I cannot fathom why.
My mistake, I keep forgetting that americans have problems with that aspect of European sportfishing :mrgreen:

It's no joke. :mrgreen: Carp is *the* sportfish in Europe, people travel all over the continent to fish in the best waters, and some even go to Canada and the US to fish for them there. Carp fishing is almost a cult, people have setups and equipment that needs to be seen to be believed. We're talking 3-4 rod setups on pods with electric bite alarms, and a full camp setup behind it where they can stay overnight, or even for a week or longer. A full setup is easily $10.000, and the really serious guys have 3-4 setups for different types of waters.
In the most heavily fished waters, almost every fish is known on an individual basis, and if you mistreat a carp before putting it back, you are in serious trouble. 8-)
John Wayne
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Fivetoes wrote:My opinion was that they tasted like a mud hole and the wife was stuck with them.
Then use them for fertilizer in your garden. Nothing goes to waste. 8-) We did that with all the fish remains whether it was tuna (neighbor would go out on half-day boats), trout, catfish, etc. We'd have to bury them at least a foot deep or the cats would dig them up. We ALWAYS had plenty of earthworms in that garden too.
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
Mud_Dog

Post by Mud_Dog »

Erik wrote:
Lokidude wrote:
Erik wrote: most serious carp anglers
My mistake, I keep forgetting that americans have problems with that aspect of European sportfishing :mrgreen:

It's no joke. :mrgreen: Carp is *the* sportfish in Europe, people travel all over the continent to fish in the best waters, and some even go to Canada and the US to fish for them there. Carp fishing is almost a cult, people have setups and equipment that needs to be seen to be believed. We're talking 3-4 rod setups on pods with electric bite alarms, and a full camp setup behind it where they can stay overnight, or even for a week or longer. A full setup is easily $10.000, and the really serious guys have 3-4 setups for different types of waters.
In the most heavily fished waters, almost every fish is known on an individual basis, and if you mistreat a carp before putting it back, you are in serious trouble. 8-)
I've read it's getting more popular here, but more for trying for world records. They are a pest, on the level with I think or just below Snakeheads in American waters.

For the latter the appropriate course of action is nailing them to a tree through the head. At least that's the way we do it back home so when the Game Wardens go down the river they can see exactly where they were caught and report it.
Obamalypse, Part II: The Armening. (-NPR)