Fishing with a Baitcasting Rig

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
SeekHer

Re: Fishing with a Baitcasting Rig

Post by SeekHer »

HTRN wrote:
SeekHer wrote:When visiting the in-laws in Florida, I’ve gone surf fishing with a spinning rig, huge sucker, under a 14’ or 15’ rod and throwing 2 oz lures…It was a lot of fun!
I think everybody I know has either a 10foot+ surf rod, or a boat... Usually both. :mrgreen:

Maybe I'll dig out my surf rod later and take pictures. :)

HTRN
I didn't think they were that short up your way...Is it maybe a regional thing?

Spey rods are 12' to 15' and these were at least that length...Only thing I remember about them is they had a fantastic reel, a Van Staal that was so smooth to operate but carried more line then my old Abu Garcia Ambassador bait cast reel that I troll with.
There is a certain type of mentality that thinks if you make certain inanimate objects illegal their criminal misuse will disappear!

Damn the TSA and Down with the BATF(u)E!
Support the J P F O to "Give them the Boot"!!
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

SeekHer wrote:
MarkD wrote:I looked yesterday, the record trout taken in NJ waters was about 32 pounds.

You folks must be dumping radioactive waste in your lakes or something, do the fish glow in the dark?
What kind of trout though? I'm referring to Lake trout...we don't have any Brown, Rainbow, Cutthroat etc. in our region, way too far north and the pike would eat them...we're also too far north for Muskie...the only other fish in our area are Grayling and Arctic Char besides though mentioned.
I would bet quite a bit that Termite (MarkD might be too...)is thinking of a Speckled Trout when envisioning that 30# monster. They have other names, naturally. I seem to remember Spotted Sea Trout is the proper name. Weakfish are a similar fish found on the East Coast (C. regalis v C. nebulosus). When they get about as long as your arm they're referred to as "Gators." We just call them "specks."

They are God's gift to the salt water fishing world. I have yet to find a finer fish for deep frying and, as I'm typing this, do not believe a better example even exists.

Edited for an error.
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

I have a ten foot and two twelve foot surf rods, all of which are about 30 years old. I've seldom seen longer than 12 foot.

These "trout" you're talking about, are they salt water fish? Around here the only things we call trout are fresh water. I think the 32 pounder I saw was a lake trout.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

SeekHer wrote: I didn't think they were that short up your way...Is it maybe a regional thing?

Spey rods are 12' to 15' and these were at least that length...Only thing I remember about them is they had a fantastic reel, a Van Staal that was so smooth to operate but carried more line then my old Abu Garcia Ambassador bait cast reel that I troll with.
Keep in mind, you still have to transport these things, and even with them it 2 parts, beyond 12 feet, they're a major hassle if you don't own a fullsize SUV/Truck.

10-12 foot seems to be about the norm, but you occasionally see them as long as 16 feet as well.

HTRN
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
SeekHer

Post by SeekHer »

I know they were in that range, the exact length I'll have to call down to my uncles and ask them...I know they were taller then 12' because when I first set them up and stood it up it was higher then the basketball hoop backboard on the garage and that was regulation height...

I can't remember if they were four piece or five piece rods but the case they came in was around the size of a pool cue, again, I'll have to ask...

All I know is that I could cast, distances that amazed me! 100', 125' 140' once I got the rhythm down for the cast and if the wind was right.

I don't remember all the fish we caught except Redfish and we kept most of them for suppers...That was my first times, 25 or so, that I went surf casting because the only other times I'd been salt water fishing it had always been from a boat but never the kind like in the old movies with the fighting chair bolted to the deck...went after Marlin and Swordfish but never caught anything of size although I did catch a 150# tuna and around a 100# tarpon...

All our fishing is freshwater and some tidal plains if we go near the "Bay" but that's only for Char and Grayling which is one of the better tasting fish there is and gives you the best fight of any fish species I've ever tackled...A two pounder that will run and jump and flip like you'd think you had a 10, 12 pounder on...I love them!

There's a fish found only in the Lake Winnipeg drainage called Mooneye that when smoked is incredible and they give you the same fight the grayling do...There is also Walleye (we call Pickerel) that is delicious to eat and having been to the USA for so long and got acquainted with farm raised cat fish which I like even more and my friends and family think me the fool, but we know...Those that have retired or winter in Florida are also finding they'll eat catfish a lot...

We catch Channel Cats in the river and I've seen caught and released some 50 pounders and my biggest was just over 35#, to qualify for an Provinvcial Fishing Merit Badge (Master Angler) the minimum qualifying weight is 22 lbs...I can go around 50 to 70 miles from my home and catch Sturgeon which are just plain old tanks and take foreever to land but I've never caught anything heavier then 20 lbs. but I've seeen caught a 150 pounder and they're bigger yet...They found skeletal remains of one in the Grand Canyon area they figure was over 2,000 lbs...Smoked they're very good, my late uncles loved then canned in quart sealers and they're quite nice pan fried...

No I'm hungry and it's almost supper time, go to the kitchen and cook, me, alais vite
There is a certain type of mentality that thinks if you make certain inanimate objects illegal their criminal misuse will disappear!

Damn the TSA and Down with the BATF(u)E!
Support the J P F O to "Give them the Boot"!!
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

SeekHer wrote:All I know is that I could cast, distances that amazed me! 100', 125' 140' once I got the rhythm down for the cast and if the wind was right.
And that was only with 2 ounces. I've seen surf rods rated for 3 times that. :shock:

Personally, I'm trying to avoid buying lures - I want to try making 'em myself(more "lure assembly" than actual fabrication), especially as it requires nothing in terms of tools - I like to page through Jann's Netcraft, and look at things I'll never have the time to build.

HTRN
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Erik

Post by Erik »

HTRN wrote:
SeekHer wrote:All I know is that I could cast, distances that amazed me! 100', 125' 140' once I got the rhythm down for the cast and if the wind was right.
And that was only with 2 ounces. I've seen surf rods rated for 3 times that. :shock:
I've had a setup of 12ft rods rated 4-8oz. I used them for eel and burbot fishing (long story)... Long rods are becoming more and more popular in Europe, I have a few 13 and 15ft matchfishing rods for light tackle, and most serious carp anglers has a setup of 13ft+ rods rated for 3-4oz. They use it for long distance fishing for big fish, 100metres and up.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."
John Wayne
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

I don't think I've ever seen anybody casting at 8 ounces. six, yeah, but 8?

Me, I'm happy with a 5", 1.5 ounce "rattler" lure. Works great on big stripers when they come into the shoals.

HTRN

Fivetoes

Post by Fivetoes »

I have used half pound blue gill for catfish bait, probably even heavier. I have also use large mouth bass that were likely over a pound. I may not try casting that far but I have used heavy bait.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Seekher - here' a vid you might want to watch.

The guy isn't casting 150 feet. He's casting 150 YARDS.

HTRN