Retirement?

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
blackeagle603

Retirement?

Post by blackeagle603 »

Nope. "Refocusing"

I reckon retiring is a good way to die on an accelerated schedule.

Looks like I'll be taking a voluntary separation deal my employer offered. Was told as in past RIFs that I'm mission critical and would not be considered even if I volunteered. Apparently they looked at my age and decided to give me the deal after all. I'm going to be extended a qtr after the RIF till 03JUL along with my boss to deal with the aftermath/gaps/transition.

With the offer they made I'd have been basically working for free nearly 2 years (til close to my 65th bday) if I hadn't taken it.

Now what? :)
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
randy

Re: Retirement?

Post by randy »

Since I went on disability retirement a little over 4 years ago I've been;

Doing more around the house while CINCHOUSE works (not as much as I like, but the neuropathy and arthritis in the spine limit what and how long I can do stuff)

Putting time in as the Post Adjutant of my VFW Post

Volunteer work supporting the local EMA

Spending a lot more time on my ham radio stuff

unfortunately I don't have the finances to support more range time.

I'm not bored or "searching for purpose". which seems to me to be a lot of why some retirees go down hill so fast. I'm limited to what ever jobs I can take by the terms of my disability, abut I know several folks that get part time jobs doing stuff they enjoy, so some extra funds and stuff to do, while still having time to enjoy retirement.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

We've got rental property in Texas that's a work in progress.
That's top of the list post-July 3rd for intense focused time.

I've been bouncing back and forth between San Diego to work on it and arrange/oversee work.

The tenant in the larger of the 3 houses on that lot vacated around Thanksgiving. That house is an old USAF barracks and Dayroom that were moved to the property and married up to form an L-shaped ranch style (~3800 sq ft). Idea is for it to be sort of a group lving home associated with some church/ministry friends in the area.

It's been slower going getting that turned around than I'd like. Decades of neglect inside on top of some truly unfortunate 1980's decorating and design choices.

Just about have the interior back together. Paint wrapping up this week. Putting kitchen and a bath back together now. Those two rooms were like a picking a scab. As I followed water damage the bad wood just keep coming. In the bath it was all the floor joints, a bunch of studs and bottom plates were goners. That shower and tile is finished. Finishing up drywall/and beadboard today/tomorrow then finally able to set the sink and stool.

Kitchen base cabinets all had to be pulled and lifted so that the saltillo tile that was added later doesn't trap dishwasher foot. The sink cab was a total loss from water. Finding a 48" sink base hasn't been an easy task. Going to have some mismatched doors but /meh/... rental. So, fine for now.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Mike OTDP

Post by Mike OTDP »

Sounds like me...the Navy made me an offer I had a hard time refusing about two years ago. I'm torn between going nuts from boredom and enjoying the control over my own schedule.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

03JUL final day. 4th of July -- independence day

Captain Wheelgun

Post by Captain Wheelgun »

blackeagle603 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 5:51 pm 03JUL final day. 4th of July -- independence day
Congratulations! May you have a long and happy retirement!
"What is this, the Congress Avenue Independence Day Parade?" - Capt. Karl von Stahlberg, RTN
Republic of Texas Navy Archives
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

thanks, possibly stay in the game. Do some consulting/contract work that would allow for flexible time off.

Either that or I think I could be the best Walmart greeter EVAH. Checking out blue vests on eBay

Cobar

Post by Cobar »

Congratulations. My dad claims that now that he is retired he busier than when he was working.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Woke up breathing freedom.

Back in Texas for a couple weeks. Still got CA house but primary residence changed. Just my wife's car and a utility trailer left to retag in TX.

Have a contract in email waiting for my review and signature. We'll see how that goes. 1099 work. 3 days a week, limit travel to week quarterly, full time when/if I feel like it. Sort of a "pick your days/hours" contractor/consulting thing. New tech development team for a manufacturer.

Captain Wheelgun

Post by Captain Wheelgun »

blackeagle603 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 2:58 pm Woke up breathing freedom.

Back in Texas for a couple weeks. Still got CA house but primary residence changed. Just my wife's car and a utility trailer left to retag in TX.

Have a contract in email waiting for my review and signature. We'll see how that goes. 1099 work. 3 days a week, limit travel to week quarterly, full time when/if I feel like it. Sort of a "pick your days/hours" contractor/consulting thing. New tech development team for a manufacturer.
Congratulations! Welcome to Texas!
"What is this, the Congress Avenue Independence Day Parade?" - Capt. Karl von Stahlberg, RTN
Republic of Texas Navy Archives