Peer to Peer Shipping apps (was Uber Freight type apps)

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
blackeagle603

Peer to Peer Shipping apps (was Uber Freight type apps)

Post by blackeagle603 »

Any experiences to share or lessons learned using UberFreight or similar apps?

Alternatives to Uber Frieght

I've covered a lot of miles the past year and expect to do more with a lightly loaded F250 diesel. I'm expecting more San Diego to San Antonio runs in the future. As well as up I-5 to WA and 15 into Utah.

Even when my 8' cabover camper is onboard I have plenty pulling capacity left.
Last edited by blackeagle603 on Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
HTRN

Re: Uber Freight type apps

Post by HTRN »

So you're thinking of hotshotting? You really need something like a 1 ton or better, and a gooseneck to make it pay. Most of the guys doing this quickly realize that they really need to move up to a cdl and commercial plates and insurance to make it worthwhile.

The problem you're going to run into is you're limited to small loads, and thus small payouts. Add in you have to claim the whole thiing on your taxes, and you're probably have to get freight insurance, which will not make your vehicle insurance provider happy.

"Plenty of towing capacity" with a single axle 3/4 ton towing a conventional flatbed , means hauling 10k lbs or less. Considering that diesel is $5 a gallon or more, and you can expect mileage to halve...
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
blackeagle603

Re: Uber Freight type apps

Post by blackeagle603 »

What got me interested is a couple friends who move a lot of odd bits of car, motorcycle, RV parts and some furniture. Mostly what would be Ebay or Craiglist type items.

With my camper on and mpg drops to ~13, put a small 2 axle dump trailer and small bobcat behind that and I ran about 11 mpg from San Dog to Castle Rock CO.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
blackeagle603

Re: Peer to Peer Shipping apps (was Uber Freight type apps)

Post by blackeagle603 »

Fixed the title. I was having an early onset senility moment and couldn't recall that term. It's sort of opens up a tier below the traditional hotshot niche.

Like a peer to peer ridesharing app for smaller deliveries.

e.g. Dolly, Roadie, Grabr

Any users here with experience or opinions to share?

BDK

Re: Peer to Peer Shipping apps (was Uber Freight type apps)

Post by BDK »

I made a small investment in LaneAxis, specifically because broker shenanigans irked me.

I have to admit, using a ride share app, for small loads is either going to be an incredibly bad idea, or work well.

Lots of potential issues though - EG, what do you do when the shipment isn’t in spec, and the delivery is refused?