New to the site and guns.

The place for beginners, or anyone else, to talk about gun, gear, and shooting topics with a minimum of jargon and/or geekery. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask that blows up in your face later.
HTRN

Re: New to the site and guns.

Post by HTRN »

Netpackrat wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:31 pmthe flite control wads are negating one of the shotgun's advantages, which is the spread of the shot. What would have been a miss with single projectile weapon like a rifle or handgun can become at least a marginal hit, which is good for you, and bad for your assailant.
Except buckshot spreads far, far less at typical interior dimensions than is popularly believed:
https://www.tactical-life.com/gear/ammo ... ammo-test/

When you have a sub six inch pattern at 50 feet, I don't see how a miss with a rifle is going to turn into a showstopper with a shotgun.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
thefifthscallop

Post by thefifthscallop »

Are there any podcasts that y’all would recommend checking out?

Edit: firearm related.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

HTRN wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:11 am
Netpackrat wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:31 pmthe flite control wads are negating one of the shotgun's advantages, which is the spread of the shot. What would have been a miss with single projectile weapon like a rifle or handgun can become at least a marginal hit, which is good for you, and bad for your assailant.
Except buckshot spreads far, far less at typical interior dimensions than is popularly believed:

When you have a sub six inch pattern at 50 feet, I don't see how a miss with a rifle is going to turn into a showstopper with a shotgun.
That article makes my point, since all of the data they collected was using the stupid flite control buckshot, so yeah, you are not going to see anywhere near the sort of spread expected when using more conventional buckshot loadings. Which was also noted in the article.

At across the room distances, no it isn't going to matter at all, but depending on the size of your house it may start to matter. For most of us in a more suburban setting, a conventional buck load is going to exhibit enough spread to be useful outside the house. If you are shooting from your house at somebody on the street or down the street the amount of spread is probably going to become a problem (and you may want to switch to slugs or better yet use a rifle), but at that point unless there has been a complete breakdown of law and order, you're going to have a more difficult time of justifying those shots in court. Your mileage may vary according to the actual distances and circumstances of your situation.

Either way the FC wads are somewhere in between pointless and actually detrimental.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Precision

Post by Precision »

thefifthscallop wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:23 am Is there a gun that is more suited for a woman? I mean, I’m sure we will both want our own for when we go to the range, but we’ve also been talking about the idea of getting a concealed carry license. With the way things have gone the last year and a half in Portland, and what the trend is doing, there is certain parts of town even I wouldn’t feel safe in.

Just the other day an article came out about a homeless camp in one of Portland’s neighborhood parks. This has been historically one of the best, and now it’s over-run with tents. Needles everywhere. The city put in a bunch portopotties for the campers, and when cleaners came, they were threatened with firearms. Absolutely unreal. This is in a neighborhood with really expensive homes.
Yes, see the answer about going to the range and renting some guns. Let her experience tell her what works for her. If you fess up to being new, some ranges will allow you to shoot several guns of the same caliber (5 rounds each) if you ask and tell them your reasoning. It also helps to show up / make and appointment for their slow time.

My wife is 5' tall and has small hands, but loves a full sized Glock even though it shouldn't fit her hand. She shoots it very well. My (more ergonomic
full sized Smith M&P) only works slightly better for her.

to the homeless encampment part, you get more of what you subsidize and your town is subsidizing crappy attitudes and intrusion by the homeless.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Precision

Post by Precision »

Netpackrat wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:57 pm
HTRN wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:11 am

That article makes my point, since all of the data they collected was using the stupid flite control buckshot, so yeah, you are not going to see anywhere near the sort of spread expected when using more conventional buckshot loadings. Which was also noted in the article.

At across the room distances, no it isn't going to matter at all, but depending on the size of your house it may start to matter. For most of us in a more suburban setting, a conventional buck load is going to exhibit enough spread to be useful outside the house. If you are shooting from your house at somebody on the street or down the street the amount of spread is probably going to become a problem (and you may want to switch to slugs or better yet use a rifle), but at that point unless there has been a complete breakdown of law and order, you're going to have a more difficult time of justifying those shots in court. Your mileage may vary according to the actual distances and circumstances of your situation.

Either way the FC wads are somewhere in between pointless and actually detrimental.
This guy and his article may help with patterns for shotgun ammo.

https://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/patter ... e-edition/
Hope it helps
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Good article covering the advantages and disadvantages of the shotgun, good data on the loads tested. I don't really care personally about CTD one way or another (other than I don't buy anything from them because of their shipping policies to AK), but "that guy" may find that writing for CTD may turn some people off.

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Precision

Post by Precision »

Netpackrat wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:18 pm Good article covering the advantages and disadvantages of the shotgun, good data on the loads tested. I don't really care personally about CTD one way or another (other than I don't buy anything from them because of their shipping policies to AK), but "that guy" may find that writing for CTD may turn some people off.
Yeah. Gun writing isn't my primary source of income. It does bother some people, but it keeps me in mad money and almost every reseller of gun stuff has some shady issues. Midway, CTD to name just a few. I write for others as well and half of them have trouble paying on time...
thefifthscallop

Post by thefifthscallop »

Holy shit, that was so much fun! 50 rounds is not enough!

I had a great time today, but more importantly, my wife had a ton of fun. And she is a fucking natural! I didn’t take any pictures of our targets, but her groupings were really fucking great. She wants to go back and do it again. I mentioned maybe we should go look at some guns, her reply, “Maybe after the next time, but I definitely want to do it again. We should start saving for one though.”

We shot glock 17 gen 5’s, a gun that was recommended, and I really liked the feel of it. Another gun that was recommended was the CZ p10c, and well I couldn’t help myself. I found one online when we got home, and I bought it. $525 all together with two mags. I know it was recommended to try a few before buying, but I’ve been watching a lot of reviews the last few weeks on the two, because that’s what y’all told me to look into. It seems like they’re very similar, so we’ll see how I like it. I’ll just surprise her with it and say, ”you want to go to the range today?”.

Thanks for all the info, everyone! Although it seems like I’m about to get deep into another hobby.
tfbncc

Post by tfbncc »

Welcome to the Dark Side!
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »