New to the site and guns.

The place for beginners, or anyone else, to talk about gun, gear, and shooting topics with a minimum of jargon and/or geekery. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask that blows up in your face later.
BDK

Re: New to the site and guns.

Post by BDK »

Now, the only non-standard things I have to add:

Ignore “greatest thumpenboomer” loads, in handguns.

Get the defensive load which either duplicates your practice load, or which is cheap enough (if that currently exists) to practice with.

Similarly, don’t try to carry a gun which “fights” you, at least at first…. Might be hard to explain what I mean by that to a new shooter…

How does your wife dress? While it requires a small gun, I taught a few professional women to shoot in Houston, and they preferred those bra holsters to other options.
randy

Post by randy »

...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
thefifthscallop

Post by thefifthscallop »

So now I guess the next question is, what the hell do I do about ammunition? Looking online, it seems to be super expensive right now. Where is the most reliable place to purchase, and where are places to stay away from?
thefifthscallop

randy wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:46 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=535Zy_rf4NU
Dude, I’m a giant Star Wars nerd. I absolutely love that scene. Very great response.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I like sgammo.com. Not always the cheapest, but almost always close. I've found that on order with multiple calibers, the total is less than if buying from several places. Great service. Great guy - I've met him in person.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
thefifthscallop

BDK wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:02 pm Now, the only non-standard things I have to add:

Ignore “greatest thumpenboomer” loads, in handguns.

Get the defensive load which either duplicates your practice load, or which is cheap enough (if that currently exists) to practice with.

Similarly, don’t try to carry a gun which “fights” you, at least at first…. Might be hard to explain what I mean by that to a new shooter…

How does your wife dress? While it requires a small gun, I taught a few professional women to shoot in Houston, and they preferred those bra holsters to other options.
She wears pants and tshirts mostly.
thefifthscallop

So a couple questions about ammo…

1. Which grain weight should I be considering? I’m looking to start purchasing ammo for my CZ, but I’m a little overwhelmed with all the different grain weights.

2. Versatile ammo. What’s going to give me the best home defense, while being a good range round? I figure I really should be practicing with something at least similar to what I would use for home defense?

I really appreciate everyone’s input.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

1. Well, isn't that a perennial question and debate? Don't over worry it. 115gr and 124gr are pretty commonly available. Buy some from different manufacturers and make sure they all function well in your gun, then buy the cheapest that gives you the accuracy you want.

2. IMHO, home defense and good range rounds are mutually exclusive. The HD rounds are going to be too expensive for me to use at the range except for function testing. I'll let the resident experts expound further.

Recommendations for HD rounds are legion. And most of them are probably reasonable. If your range ammo is the same weight, they'll probably hit about the same place.

Right now, at your stage, it's more important to avoid paralysis by analysis and just get shooting.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
randy

Post by randy »

Weetabix wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:50 pm 1. Well, isn't that a perennial question and debate? Don't over worry it. 115gr and 124gr are pretty commonly available. Buy some from different manufacturers and make sure they all function well in your gun, then buy the cheapest that gives you the accuracy you want.
When I carried a Browning Hi Power, I shot 115gr Winchester Silver Tips as that was the common weight when the pistol was designed, (and most common in the 80's when I got my first one) and the Silver Tips were designed to feed in the Hi Power, as well as having a high velocity punch. However, over the years it's been harder to find it in stock, or even order sometimes even before the effects of the CHICOM Flu.

When I switched to a Glock to carry, I looked at the ammo choices available locally and went with 124gr Hornady XTP.

2. IMHO, home defense and good range rounds are mutually exclusive. The HD rounds are going to be too expensive for me to use at the range except for function testing. I'll let the resident experts expound further.

Recommendations for HD rounds are legion. And most of them are probably reasonable. If your range ammo is the same weight, they'll probably hit about the same place.
+1

When looking at practice ammo to match your HD ammo, also look at the rated muzzle velocity, not just the bullet weight.

If your practice ammo has the same weight and approximately the same muzzle velocity as your HD ammo, it will be a good enough to replicate your experience in shooting the HD ammo. If you can find practice ammo from the same manufacturer as your HD ammo, and the specs (except for the bullet type) match, you are good to go.

And quite frankly, I can't really tell the difference between shooting the 124gr XTP and generic 115gr FMJs, except for some difference in point of impact, which, in combat shooting at normal engagement ranges, is negligible. I'm not a competition shooter, so good enough.
Right now, at your stage, it's more important to avoid paralysis by analysis and just get shooting.
Another +1.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I have been carrying 124gr Federal HST, which seems to have a pretty good reputation. And generic 124gr FMJ for practice at the range. Be sure to run a few boxes of your carry ammo through the gun just to make sure there are no reliability issues.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop