Dominate eye switching

The place for beginners, or anyone else, to talk about gun, gear, and shooting topics with a minimum of jargon and/or geekery. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask that blows up in your face later.
Vonz90

Dominate eye switching

Post by Vonz90 »

So my daughter's dominate eye switched from right to left. She has crapy eyes anyway and has had several surgeries in the past. Per her eye doctor it is entirely possible that they will switch again.

So do I try to teach her to shoot left handed or maybe cover the left eye and keep her on the the right? I am not sure where to go with this.
Greg

Re: Dominate eye switching

Post by Greg »

Suspect you're overthinking this. Teach her to shoot dominant hand dominant, doing otherwise is punitive in an old fashioned way.

Then deal with the eye thing as needed, especially as her eye dominance is subject to change. Worse things than being cross eye dominant.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Rich Jordan

Re: Dominate eye switching

Post by Rich Jordan »

I've got a not so well working right eye, had it since birth; they tried surgery when I was a toddler, no go. So I'm strongly right handed and by necessity strongly left-eye dominant. While I practice weak hand handgun shooting when possible, and shoot rifle on the left shoulder, normal handgun is strictly right handed.