trigger finger placement. Does it matter?

The place for beginners, or anyone else, to talk about gun, gear, and shooting topics with a minimum of jargon and/or geekery. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask that blows up in your face later.
Aglifter

Re: trigger finger placement. Does it matter?

Post by Aglifter »

As for how little finger you want - if I switch to shooting a gun w a trigger safety, I have to make a deliberate effort to put my finger far enough on the trigger to release the safety.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

In book of the revolver, Grant Cunningham advocates "B" for revolvers -- and to think of a complete stroke cycle in and out, not a squeeze and release. Analogy he uses is rowing. It relates to his recommended smooth, narrow trigger.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Erik

Post by Erik »

blackeagle603 wrote:In book of the revolver, Grant Cunningham advocates "B" for revolvers -- and to think of a complete stroke cycle in and out, not a squeeze and release. Analogy he uses is rowing. It relates to his recommended smooth, narrow trigger.
Yeah, that's the general rule I've been taught for double action.

However, some good revolver shooters I know that compete where precision matter uses a slightly different technique, though they still use B. They pull back hard until they feel the break point, then they stop briefly and stabilizes the sights before breaking the shot. It takes a lot of practice, but when learned they'll shoot double action just as accurate as single action, and much faster.
The guy I mentioned that used the C method uses the tip of his finger on the frame to find the break point of the trigger, which he says is even faster and much safer. I've seen him do it, and he is very fast and accurate, but it's a lot of practice involved in it.

Personally, I still use single action and the A method when shooting revolvers, unless I get pressed for time. In that case I use B and pull through in one motion, but I'm not very good at it. Incidentally, that's also how I shoot Glocks.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."
John Wayne
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

I really need to get rest and stop taking the nerve painpills. I thought the title here was "trigger finger REplacement, does it work?" :shock: :shock:
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
Cybrludite

Post by Cybrludite »

<----- Another "B for revolvers, A for pretty much everything else" shooter.
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

It is whatever you are consistent with