First Gun for my daughter

The place for beginners, or anyone else, to talk about gun, gear, and shooting topics with a minimum of jargon and/or geekery. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask that blows up in your face later.
John_in_Longview

First Gun for my daughter

Post by John_in_Longview »

My daughter is ready for her first firearm and I was thinking of a bolt action 22LR. I would appreciate any suggestions on which rifles are good and bad. I plan on purchasing a Rascal for the first shooting lessons for her and her siblings. I want to purchase something that she will be able to use when she is an adult. She is about 5 feet tall now, if that makes a difference in your suggestions.

Thanks,
John
Yogimus

Re: First Gun for my daughter

Post by Yogimus »

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... 066861#PIC

Good sights, cheap, light. If recoil is an issue, then I recommend wood furniture.
randy

Post by randy »

Bought Darlin' Daughter a Chipmunk for her 8th birthday (she LOVED the pink stock). Small and easy for her to use at that time, but still shootable by me (i.e. large adult). Bought a Browning Buckmark when she was 11 that will be going to her when she turns 21.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

With the caveat that they might be hard to fine, an M&P 15 might be a good choice - at 5', there's no reason to buy a child's model.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Aglifter wrote:at 5', there's no reason to buy a child's model.
To my thinking, a youth model is something entirely different from a child's model. If you buy something common with a fairly long production history, even if they don't make a "youth" model, you can cut the stock down slightly; later on you shouldn't have any trouble finding an adult length stock.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Greg

Post by Greg »

Aglifter wrote:With the caveat that they might be hard to fine, an M&P 15 might be a good choice - at 5', there's no reason to buy a child's model.
Adjustable stocks are nice, in the states where they let you have them. This would make a good first centerfire, imo.

But I think the first gun should always be a .22
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Captain Wheelgun

Post by Captain Wheelgun »

Greg wrote:
Aglifter wrote:With the caveat that they might be hard to fine, an M&P 15 might be a good choice - at 5', there's no reason to buy a child's model.
Adjustable stocks are nice, in the states where they let you have them. This would make a good first centerfire, imo.

But I think the first gun should always be a .22
He's probably thinking about the M&P 15-22, not the centerfire one.
"What is this, the Congress Avenue Independence Day Parade?" - Capt. Karl von Stahlberg, RTN
Republic of Texas Navy Archives
Rod

Post by Rod »

Ruger 10-22 comes in a youth model that's fairly easy for an adult to use also. That's IF you can find one nowadays. :roll:
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist
Highspeed

Post by Highspeed »

Rod wrote:Ruger 10-22 comes in a youth model that's fairly easy for an adult to use also. That's IF you can find one nowadays. :roll:
Like it.

I'm not a huge fan of 10\22's , but they really are infinitely customisable. The rifle could grow along with the young lady and fill any .22lr role she wanted.
I'm not sure the horrible stock 10\22 trigger would be friendly for little paws, but it can easily be WECSOG'ed to something more acceptable without spending buckets of money on stupid titanium parts.
All my life I been in the dog house
I guess that just where I belong
That just the way the dice roll
Do my dog house song
TheIrishman

Post by TheIrishman »

If you're speaking of the 15-22, yeah. I picked one up for my nieces just after Christmas(I'll have a report up soon). It's a great little rifle and lots of fun to shoot. My oldest niece is just under 5' and her younger sister is a bit shorter. I un-pinned the stock(in PA so it's legal) and adjusted it down to one notch before it's shortest setting. It now fits both of them perfectly. Just this past Sunday, they ran about 800 rounds through both it and my BIL's Savage model 60.
Formally the IrateIrishman