Single, two, or 3 point slings? Differences and benefits?

The place for beginners, or anyone else, to talk about gun, gear, and shooting topics with a minimum of jargon and/or geekery. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask that blows up in your face later.
bubblewhip

Single, two, or 3 point slings? Differences and benefits?

Post by bubblewhip »

So I am looking at various sling systems for my firearm and I am relatively confused by the practical differences between single, two, and 3 point slings. From what I can tell right now these are what each can do.

Single Points:

- Attaches on one point of the gun against the body of the user
- Is the most tactical (For whatever that's worth) Magpul endorses single point slings against everything else except for large rifles
- Least comfortable
- Easiest to change to weak side transition
- Best for close quarter? (I don't know for what reason)

Two Point Slings:
- Attaches to two points of the gun as a simple strap
- most comfortable (don't understand why)
- Hangs off the neck or shoulder
- Can be used as a support for shooting

Three Point Slings:
- Military uses them and connects to the front of the gun, the rear of the gun, and the body
- Most secure sling system (difficult to get the weapon off the user)
- Most difficult to transition to weak side
- Seems to be as comfortable as a two point
- Can be used as a two point

I guess what I am most confused by is why you would use a single point sling vs a two or three point sling.
Aglifter

Re: Single, two, or 3 point slings? Differences and benefits

Post by Aglifter »

CC has a great sling, which he's lent me from time to time, and which I keep forgetting the name of, which has a snap release to be able to change shoulders.

I believe it is a three-point - it makes transitioning to a pistol very simple, as you let go of the rifle, and it ends up, pretty well, out of the way, while you draw/fire your pistol.

2 points are good for carrying, and wrapping up for long-distance shots.

The sling I borrow from CC converts to a single-point, once you release the snap (if I remember it, correctly), which means its easier to switch shoulders, but not as nice to transition to a pistol.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

point and 1 point are nearly identical, the only difference being where the gun siths when you are not fondling it.
TheIrishman

Post by TheIrishman »

The first thing you need to decide is what task you want the sling to perform. A standard 2 point sling such as the 1907 style slings used on Garands or the nylon slings found in most gun shops are used primarily for carry or support while firing a rifle. A "tactical" 2 point sling(such as the Ares Armor I picked up for my AR) is designed for carrying in a ready position. You'll note that a standard sling mounts to the bottom of the butt stock and forend, where most "tactical" slings mount to the top of the butt and side of the forend. This allows the rifle to sit flat against you while it is hanging. I have no experience with 3 point slings but really see no advantage, I did at one time use a Chalker single point sling on a shotgun. My opinion is that single point slings are ideally suited for those that never want children(or people who just enjoy getting whacked in the junk all the time). Drop the rifle to transition to pistol...Nut Shot, run with your hands full and not holding your weapon...REPEATED NUT SHOTS.
Formally the IrateIrishman
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

I've got a decent amount of experience with each type of sling, so I'll give my input:

Single Point: It's definitely the best for transitioning from strong side to weak side. It's also the most difficult to wear comfortably, especially over armor. Here's why I really don't like it. If you let go of it, all your rifle does is hit you in the junk and the knees. It does facilitate a quick transition to your sidearm. It also becomes heavy because you are holding all the weight of your rifle when it's in a shooting position. I've used a few different types, made by Blue Force Gear, Specter, and one or two more.

Two Point: My personal favorite, assuming it's one of the newer tactical models, and not the old fashioned carrying strap/shooting aid. The two point that I have is a Blue Force Gear Vickers Sling. I love it. It is adjustable on the fly, you can transition sides with just a bit more work, but most importantly, if you need to sling it behind you to do anything from climb over a wall to use both hands to load magazines, you can. Easy to wear over armor, bears the weight well, and it's very flexible. I will likely outfit all of my rifles with a similar sling.

Three Point: Works great for holding your rifle at the alert, but other than that, you wind up with an extra strap catching on all of your stuff. Able to sling it behind you if necessary, but a transition to weak side is very difficult. If you get one, make sure that it has a buckle up front that releases the strap from fixed to the sling swivel to being a moving glide along the strap between the two sling swivels. I think it's called a prone position buckle or whatever. Which really does what it's called, it allows you to shoot from the prone with it, and if it's loose enough, transition to your weak side. I'm not really a fan of them, as the extra strap catches on the junk on your armor all the time. The central strap can sometimes interfere with mag changes.
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

Vickers slings, full stop. I have a pretty cool 3 point with metal hardware that came with a rifle and I have no idea where it came from. That is the one AG is referring to. Other than that a two point is it. Three's often get in the way of the controls on the rifle and hang on gear but if no gear is chest mounted it works ok.

Single points are pointless and painful.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
bubblewhip

Post by bubblewhip »

Bringing this back because I'm going to buy a sling.

I'm going for a single point sling (because of the nature of the 10/22 takedown rifle)

I'm going with 5.11 Single Point.

My question is that there are 3 varieties. Static single point sling, single point sling with a bungee, and Kyle Lambs VTAC Single Point sling with options for both.

My question is, why would I want a bungee on a single point sling?
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

I personally like the 1907, but then I was into position shooting..
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Denis

Post by Denis »

bubblewhip wrote:My question is, why would I want a bungee on a single point sling?
So that, when your rifle has swung down and hit you in the nuts, it can bounce back and hit you in the nuts again?

Otherwise, I have no clue.
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

Denis wrote:
bubblewhip wrote:My question is, why would I want a bungee on a single point sling?
So that, when your rifle has swung down and hit you in the nuts, it can bounce back and hit you in the nuts again?

Otherwise, I have no clue.
NO! It's to bounce up after hitting you in the family jewels and catch you under the jaw!
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.