Douchebags

The place for beginners, or anyone else, to talk about gun, gear, and shooting topics with a minimum of jargon and/or geekery. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask that blows up in your face later.
Yogimus

Re: Douchbags

Post by Yogimus »

Kommander

Post by Kommander »

Yogimus wrote:Gear is used to compensate for skill/experience. The more flashy someone is, the less sure he is of his own competence.
I think I know what you mean but I am not 100% behind you on this. For example I'm the only one at work that actually carries a first aid kit on his person. I don't want to be flashy, I just want to not bleed to death.
Erik

Post by Erik »

Kommander wrote:
Yogimus wrote:Gear is used to compensate for skill/experience. The more flashy someone is, the less sure he is of his own competence.
I think I know what you mean but I am not 100% behind you on this. For example I'm the only one at work that actually carries a first aid kit on his person. I don't want to be flashy, I just want to not bleed to death.
I think there's a difference betwen being prepared and being flashy. Having a first aid kit with you in an environment where it might come in useful is being prepared. Having three combat knifes strapped on you in various location when playing paintball is being flashy.

I seem to have developed a rep for always having lots of gear with me at the range (the term used is nsfw if translated to english). But I really dont think I'm being flashy, it's things like toolkits, gunoil, notbook and pen, extra ammo, spare parts, spotting scope, timer, target patches, water bottle etc, most of it stored in dedicated containers in a dedicated range bag. And yes, I also have a small first aid kit in it, complete with aspirin, bandaids and pills against allergy.
And the reason most people see what I have in my bag is because I'm usually the one that have the thing they need but didn't bring. 8-)
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."
John Wayne
randy

Re: Douchebags

Post by randy »

For example I'm the only one at work that actually carries a first aid kit on his person.
Having a first aid kit isn't being flashy.

Having a Special Operations SEAL TEAM Official Issue (says so right on the case) surgical kit in the latest tacti-fashion colors (I've lost track, is coyote, black, or digi-cam the coolest one right now?) is.

I have a hunch I know which guy I want working on me if there's an incident.
I seem to have developed a rep for always having lots of gear with me at the range (the term used is nsfw if translated to english).
People that don't prepare are often dismissive or snide about those that are. Whether the fact I'm more prepared for multiple situations makes them feel uncomfortable because they're sheeple who don't want to be reminded how dangerous the world can be, or they are lazy and don't want to be reminded of what they should be doing, I don't know.

I've been derided for having a "gunfighter mentality" (at least I'm sure they meant it as an insult) because I always have at least one spare mag with me when carrying and spent more than $20 for a nylon gunshow special on my holster and mag carrier.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

The current Mall Ninja color dejur is Multicam, though ATACS may give it a run for it's money.
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

If you ever color-coordinated your tac vest with your thigh holster, you might be a gear-Qu**r
Erik

Post by Erik »

Yogimus wrote:If you ever color-coordinated your tac vest with your thigh holster, you might be a gear-Qu**r
:lol:
Yeah, that's pretty close to the english translation of what I've been called. Except it has more humorous than offensive meaning when it's used here.

And before someone asks, I dont have a tac-west nor a thigh holster, and I don't color coordinate range wear. :mrgreen:
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."
John Wayne
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

Actually I've seen allot of ninja pictures recently of people with gear of a variety of different colors, "coyote", "foliage green", OD, and black all mixed together. My vest and (not thigh) holster do match, but that's required by my job so no real choice there. I did once spray paint an ACU pouch tan so it would match the rest of my BOB. ACU looks silly no matter what though.
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

Yogimus wrote:If you ever color-coordinated your tac vest with your thigh holster, you might be a gear-Qu**r
Yogi! You're back! Good to hear from you son!
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.