CCW Mindset

The place for beginners, or anyone else, to talk about gun, gear, and shooting topics with a minimum of jargon and/or geekery. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask that blows up in your face later.
AndytheAxe

CCW Mindset

Post by AndytheAxe »

Now that I'm in a free state and have my ccw and have started looking at small pistols, I was wondering going from someone who's only gone to the range with the guns unloaded in the trunk how do you get into the mindset of "I'm going to leave the house with a loaded gun in my pocket today and go about my business armed." It seems heavy.
"Of All the gin joints in All the Towns in All the World... she walks into mine" ~ Rick (Humphrey Bogart)
Gunnuts

Re: CCW Mindset

Post by Gunnuts »

Sounds like you're thinking like you're expecting to have to shoot someone with it.

Consider it more of a game where you're doing your best to make it invisible to everyone around you.

You know you have it if you need it, but otherwise no one is the wiser.

After carrying for a bit, you realize that's what it amounts to....carrying it doesn't attract gun fights, it's there just in case.
AndytheAxe

Post by AndytheAxe »

Thanks
"Of All the gin joints in All the Towns in All the World... she walks into mine" ~ Rick (Humphrey Bogart)
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Carry it in the house. Then it will become no more unusual to walk out the door with it than it is to walk out the door wearing the rest of your normal attire. Plus, statistics show that 100% of home invasions take place in the home.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Termite

Post by Termite »

Netpackrat wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:08 am Carry it in the house.
What NPR said. And something else: train yourself not to be constantly touching it. I can't tell you how many people in public I have ID'd as CCW carriers from them periodically touching their concealed carry gun.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."