How to make a blind wrist repait to a stock.

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Candyman

How to make a blind wrist repait to a stock.

Post by Candyman »

This repair will cover making a wrist repair when the crack starts behind the trigger guard and runs through the wrist. I will show you how to make the repairs without pins or screws and with little to do none of the work showing after the work is done. This is what I call Blind Repair Work.
The repairs will be made with Brownell's Acraglas.
Our Victim will be a 03A3 Walnut stock, I just love working on these old girls.
I like to clean with Denatured Alcohol because, it removes dirt and oil and will dry very quick. But if there is a crack the Alcohol will get into it and not dry as fast and allow you to see the crack.
Here in Photo #1 you can see the crack very good.
In photo #2 the crack is a little harder to see. If the repair is not done on the stock it will continue to crack until the stock comes apart.
First You will need to drill down into the wrist so that you will be able to insert a large dowel to secure it. I used a 3/8 inch wood bit to drill this hole. To get the right depth, lay the bit on the side of the grip and mark it with tape. This will be your stop point when drilling.

Be sure to keep you angle right as you drill and grip the wrist as you drill. If the bit starts to cut too clost to the sides you will feel a hot spot and you will need to stop and check your angle.

Now for the crack. A lot of times you will find that you will be unable to get resin down into the crack or not all the way into the crack. You will need to drill holed into the crack. This will allow you to get resin into the crack. The depth of the holes will need to be a little deeper then the crack. You can pick up extra long drill bits from Harber Fright, they don't cost much. As you can see I drilled 3 holes into the crack. This will help get more resin into the crack. Now fill the holes with Denatured Alcohol to remove any oil that may be in the area. Allow the stock to dry before you move on with the repair.
Pick out some dowels that are a little smaller then the holes you drilled. When I drill large holes I like to wrap the dowel with fiberglass cloth. This will give you a stronger repair.
Now is time to mask off the areas that you dont want ant over run resin to get on. You can just use paste wax on the stock but be sure not to get the wax too close to the cracks. you can use clay to fill the rear action screw hole but if you drilled through the hole you will have to fill the hole and redrill.
Fill the holes with resin and do your best to flex the stock to work resin into the cracks. Then insert your Dowels and clamp everything up tight.
After about two hours you can remove the clamps and chech out your handy work.

Use a dremel tool with a milling bit to clean up the repairs. Be careful and don't go wild, just take your time, this is the easy part.

Now just allow the Acragls to cure for 24 hours before you clean with Denatured Alcohol and apply any type of finish.
And as always I hope that this helps you with your repairs. If you have any questions, just post them.
Do not relish to feel what the men that used these weapons felt when they saw the elephant. For the elephant has tusk and to see him is to have his tusk dig deep into your soul. You will always have a part of you that will be cold and empty.
Bullspit

Re: How to make a blind wrist repait to a stock.

Post by Bullspit »

Nice tutorial!
"Stand it like a man, and give some back." Al Swearengen
randy

Post by randy »

The mark of a true artist. Makes it look so easy that I could do it (but I know better. I think I could make a structurally sound repair, but to make it as pretty/invisible as you? NFW).
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

Nice trick wrapping the dowels with fiberglass.
Candyman

Post by Candyman »

Well I have been at it for over 20 years. The hardest part is Clamping and Dressing up the repair.
I tell most people to start off with just putting two pieces of wood together then bust them apart and put it back together.
Do not relish to feel what the men that used these weapons felt when they saw the elephant. For the elephant has tusk and to see him is to have his tusk dig deep into your soul. You will always have a part of you that will be cold and empty.