Remington bankrupt

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
Post Reply
User avatar
Vonz90
Posts: 3800
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:05 pm

Remington bankrupt

Post by Vonz90 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:05 pm


Precision
Posts: 4964
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:01 pm

Re: Remington bankrupt

Post by Precision » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:37 pm

The last rifle Rem 700 I bought about a year ago was unusable as shipped. They parkerize the barrel AFTER putting the scope mount screws back in. Leads to a bit of trouble getting them OUT. Once I did. Required removal of the barrel. I shot the rifle and Could NOT get it to shoot less than 3 inches at 100 yards with 10 factory loads and some tailored hand loads. If we were talking 30-30 I would not even mention it, but we are talking 24" barrel bolt gun. My factory one from +/- '09 shoots sub 1.00" with tailored hand loads.

Once I took it down to only the bolt and action and reassembled with quality parts, many of the same factory loads became sub MOA and the hand load option went to sub 0.60". Shilen barrel, a Moderate quality stock, much better recoil lug...When I added in a Geiselle trigger, it dropped to sub 0.45"

To me, High Point and Remington Quality are on par. But at least the price reflects it with High Point. Actually, High Point is better and more consistent if ugly as hell.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/

Greg
Posts: 8366
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:15 pm

Re: Remington bankrupt

Post by Greg » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:14 pm

That's quite an achievement, going bust during boom times.

Not normally the way it's done.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr

User avatar
Vonz90
Posts: 3800
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:05 pm

Re: Remington bankrupt

Post by Vonz90 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:44 pm

Greg wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:14 pm
That's quite an achievement, going bust during boom times.

Not normally the way it's done.
The current market is focused on defensive and compact pistols and ARs, they are not big players in either catagory (should be for ARs because they bought Bushmaster, but they kind of screwed that up too)

User avatar
Captain Wheelgun
Posts: 863
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:31 am

Re: Remington bankrupt

Post by Captain Wheelgun » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:06 pm

Vonz90 wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:44 pm
Greg wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:14 pm
That's quite an achievement, going bust during boom times.

Not normally the way it's done.
The current market is focused on defensive and compact pistols and ARs, they are not big players in either catagory (should be for ARs because they bought Bushmaster, but they kind of screwed that up too)
They bought Bushmaster AND DPMS, two of the biggest players in the AR market and destroyed them both. :evil:
"The best diplomat I know is a fully charged phaser bank" - Cmdr. Montgomery Scott
Captain Wheelgun's World

User avatar
Netpackrat
Posts: 13241
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:04 pm

Re: Remington bankrupt

Post by Netpackrat » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:35 pm

Speaking of Bushmaster, the near-constant litigation over the Sandy Hook thing hasn't helped, either.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop

User avatar
Vonz90
Posts: 3800
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:05 pm

Re: Remington bankrupt

Post by Vonz90 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:25 am

Captain Wheelgun wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:06 pm
Vonz90 wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:44 pm
Greg wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:14 pm
That's quite an achievement, going bust during boom times.

Not normally the way it's done.
The current market is focused on defensive and compact pistols and ARs, they are not big players in either catagory (should be for ARs because they bought Bushmaster, but they kind of screwed that up too)
They bought Bushmaster AND DPMS, two of the biggest players in the AR market and destroyed them both. :evil:
Time flies, I had forgotten about DPMS.

Greg
Posts: 8366
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:15 pm

Re: Remington bankrupt

Post by Greg » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:22 pm

Vonz90 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:25 am
Captain Wheelgun wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:06 pm
Vonz90 wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:44 pm


The current market is focused on defensive and compact pistols and ARs, they are not big players in either catagory (should be for ARs because they bought Bushmaster, but they kind of screwed that up too)
They bought Bushmaster AND DPMS, two of the biggest players in the AR market and destroyed them both. :evil:
Time flies, I had forgotten about DPMS.
You'd think the company that's the gold standard (or used to be, or could be, should be, just how bad have they fucked it up yet?) in pump shotguns could do well in a market that's chock full of first time buyers concerned with home/personal defense.

Plus yeah AR's.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr

Post Reply