Curio & Relic License circle of death.

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
toad
Posts: 2575
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:00 pm

Curio & Relic License circle of death.

Post by toad » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:55 pm

Ok, I was interested in getting a Chinese SKS so I started looking up getting a C&R license. Well there the fee for the license about $30 IIRC. But a further requirement is to get a Texas State hunters license. The fee for that isn't to bad but you also have take an online hunters safety course ,
$ 39.95 . Then there are the shipping fees. Then the necessity of buying ammo. I think I'll just wait until the Virus Panic stops and get a Palmento State or other forged trunnion version of an AK . :o

User avatar
Captain Wheelgun
Posts: 854
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:31 am

Re: Curio & Relic License circle of death.

Post by Captain Wheelgun » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:39 pm

toad wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:55 pm
Ok, I was interested in getting a Chinese SKS so I started looking up getting a C&R license. Well there the fee for the license about $30 IIRC. But a further requirement is to get a Texas State hunters license. The fee for that isn't to bad but you also have take an online hunters safety course ,
$ 39.95 . Then there are the shipping fees. Then the necessity of buying ammo. I think I'll just wait until the Virus Panic stops and get a Palmento State or other forged trunnion version of an AK . :o
Why would they require a hunting license to get a C&R FFL? Why a Texas license? I thought you were in Louisiana.
"The best diplomat I know is a fully charged phaser bank" - Cmdr. Montgomery Scott
Captain Wheelgun's World

toad
Posts: 2575
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:00 pm

Re: Curio & Relic License circle of death.

Post by toad » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:53 pm

Nope, I have been in Texas since 1962. The requirement to get a state hunting license is a new requirement. Mostly I am not a fan of the 5.56 round and also not a fan of the AR-15 , M-4 forgery action. To tricksy for me. I know that people have shot them for thousands of rounds by just dunking them in cleaners but I wouldn't buy one unless it was an actual Colt.

User avatar
Vonz90
Posts: 3643
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:05 pm

Re: Curio & Relic License circle of death.

Post by Vonz90 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:15 am

toad wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:53 pm
Nope, I have been in Texas since 1962. The requirement to get a state hunting license is a new requirement. Mostly I am not a fan of the 5.56 round and also not a fan of the AR-15 , M-4 forgery action. To tricksy for me. I know that people have shot them for thousands of rounds by just dunking them in cleaners but I wouldn't buy one unless it was an actual Colt.
The problem with SKS is actually hitting anything. The ones I have fired were not exactly precision instruments.

User avatar
HTRN
Posts: 11395
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:05 am

Re: Curio & Relic License circle of death.

Post by HTRN » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:50 am

toad wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:53 pm
Mostly I am not a fan of the 5.56 round and also not a fan of the AR-15 , M-4 forgery action. To tricksy for me. I know that people have shot them for thousands of rounds by just dunking them in cleaners but I wouldn't buy one unless it was an actual Colt.
You might want to take a look atGun Jesus video comparing the AR and the AK. After a mud bath the AK was non functional, while the AR was...

Colt is out of the AR market i think, and were one of the better values out there for awhile, but they are nowhere near the best the market has to offer. LMT, Daniel Defense, Hodge, Knight Armament all make a better gun, but the stocker shock is truly epic. Honestly? Id look hard at one of the Rugers for 600 bucks.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt

Precision
Posts: 4906
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:01 pm

Re: Curio & Relic License circle of death.

Post by Precision » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:57 pm

Colt hasn't made a quality AR in years. About 5 years ago I was an across the counter monkey at a gun store. We had more defect returns on Colts than on Diamondback AR's. Just sayin.

If you want a ZA AR, then buy a top brand. If you want a good enough gun, the sweet spot is probably about $5-600 ( outside of Covid scare season).
My Yugo SKS shoots minute of 1 gallon paint bucket at 75 yards with irons. Others have not done nearly as well.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/

User avatar
Jered
Posts: 7517
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:30 am

Re: Curio & Relic License circle of death.

Post by Jered » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:37 am

You have to get a hunting license to get a C&R?

That doesn't sound right. It's been a couple of years since my last renewal, but all I did was fill out the application and pay my ducats.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.

User avatar
Netpackrat
Posts: 13072
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:04 pm

Re: Curio & Relic License circle of death.

Post by Netpackrat » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:58 am

HTRN wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:50 am
You might want to take a look atGun Jesus video comparing the AR and the AK. After a mud bath the AK was non functional, while the AR was...
That one was on InRange, not Forgotten Weapons, so it was Gun Jesus plus Karl. And I can't remember if it was in that video or a later one, but they did mention that while the AR handled the mud test better, the AK could be expected to withstand that sort of treatment in the longer run much better and still be a usable rifle, the AR not so much.

Basically everything chokes on the mud test but the AR does better because it has a better dust cover. Performance on the mud test is an interesting data point but the real lesson is don't dump shovels full of soupy mud on any rifle's action and expect it to work.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Ass-op

User avatar
evan price
Posts: 1852
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:24 am

Re: Curio & Relic License circle of death.

Post by evan price » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:25 am

Jered wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:37 am
You have to get a hunting license to get a C&R?

That doesn't sound right. It's been a couple of years since my last renewal, but all I did was fill out the application and pay my ducats.
I know of no federal requirement to have a hunting license to get a c&r.
Is this a Texas thing?

Finger print card.
Letter to CLEO.
Check.
Application.

That's it.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!

User avatar
scipioafricanus
Posts: 1107
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:08 pm

Re: Curio & Relic License circle of death.

Post by scipioafricanus » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:49 am

Netpackrat wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:58 am
HTRN wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:50 am
You might want to take a look atGun Jesus video comparing the AR and the AK. After a mud bath the AK was non functional, while the AR was...
That one was on InRange, not Forgotten Weapons, so it was Gun Jesus plus Karl. And I can't remember if it was in that video or a later one, but they did mention that while the AR handled the mud test better, the AK could be expected to withstand that sort of treatment in the longer run much better and still be a usable rifle, the AR not so much.

Basically everything chokes on the mud test but the AR does better because it has a better dust cover. Performance on the mud test is an interesting data point but the real lesson is don't dump shovels full of soupy mud on any rifle's action and expect it to work.
https://youtu.be/YAneTFiz5WU

Dust cover helps, but the AR, which is basically a sealed action, keeps the crap out even when the dust cover is open. Plus the direct impingement gas forces crap out of the ejection port. All said in the video.

The Ordnance Dept really gave the AR a bad reputation for reliability. 50 years + of development helps too.
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka

Post Reply