Government Theft

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
Vonz90

Government Theft

Post by Vonz90 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:19 pm

randy

Re: Government Theft

Post by randy » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:34 pm

I read an article recently (don't have a link handy) where a federal court just kicked an asset seizure case back to the Indiana courts calling seizure of a $40K vehicle for a drug case with a max fine of around $10K (IIRC) excessive under the 8th Amendment.

So some glimmer of hope of some good news out there.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".

Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:37 pm

As an aside, I find it infuriating when SCOTUS (or other higher court for that matter) sends a case back to the lower court (that fucked it up in the first place) for rework, instead of just rendering the damned decision themselves. Because then the wronged party has to spend yet more time and money re-fighting the case in a court that’s already hostile to him.

We had a case like that recently here in AK where a guy sued the Park Service over their asserting control over the state’s waterways. The 9th circuit ruled against the guy twice, the second time even after SCOTUS threw out their decision and sent the case back for rehearing. His second trip to the Supremes resulted in a 9-0 decision in his favor, at an ultimate cost of a million and a half to him and his donors.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Ass-op

D5CAV

Post by D5CAV » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:46 am

Civil Asset Forfeiture laws are some of the most egregious laws of us.gov.

As Mencken said:
Every election is a sort of advance auction sale of stolen goods.
A good politician is quite as unthinkable as an honest burglar.
That SCOTUS hasn't overturned them yet is a sure sign there are no "liberals" left on SCOTUS.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:27 pm

D5CAV wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:46 am
Civil Asset Forfeiture laws are some of the most egregious laws of us.gov.

As Mencken said:
Every election is a sort of advance auction sale of stolen goods.
A good politician is quite as unthinkable as an honest burglar.
That SCOTUS hasn't overturned them yet is a sure sign there are no "liberals" left on SCOTUS.
I agree they should be abolished or severely limited but I do both want SCOTUS just pulling it out if their ass either.

Unfortunate it has been around for longer than the republic, but we can abolish it or limit it to when a criminal conviction has occurred (of which 6 states have done so).

One of my biggest needs with the Left is the desire to use the courts to circumvent political processes. I will not support doing likewise.