2" 22WM vs. 3" 22 LR/hands going bad

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
BDK

2" 22WM vs. 3" 22 LR/hands going bad

Post by BDK » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:53 pm

As most of y'all know, I beat myself up, pretty thoroughly, in my youth.

I've started shooting again, recently, and I'm working on trying to get my hands back, but I am struggling to hold onto my guns.

I tried my old FN 57 - I cannot seem to get my right hand to grab the gun hard enough to control it. (I guess I could try weaver stance. 2 thumbs forward, and I keep pushing right.) My right hand can't reliably work the safety, and I don't like carrying it right handed, as I would have a very difficult time working the safety.

I can still work my open gun. I haven't tried my 2011s left handed yet... Might be the best option, but I cannot seem to find reliable carry mags. I tried STI and MBX, and only my SVI 140MM mags seem to work - SVI no longer makes mags to fit STI frames, TMK. I suppose I could carry it w. a 140MM mag, but I'm not certain.

I'll try my P7 as well, but even my 57 is causing some hand issues.

Right now, I'm carrying my Harton Bearcat in 327, and it will work to close distances, and its fine as I just fire it one handed. (The grip is too small to use my right hand on.)

So, all a long-winded way to say I'm thinking about a 351PD or a 317, or a 63. I looked up chronograph tests, and it seems like they all push a 40gr bullet to about the same velocity.

The 22LRs have an extra round, and more sight radius. I can put laser grips on both, and I'm guessing they both will require very accurate shooting.

blackeagle603

Re: 2" 22WM vs. 3" 22 LR/hands going bad

Post by blackeagle603 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:19 pm

Would love to have a thread hijack to talk about your hands -- and biohacking them back to health.

What's the issue? Old injury? Arthritic? Neuromuscular weakness of some sort?
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story

Precision

Re: 2" 22WM vs. 3" 22 LR/hands going bad

Post by Precision » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:28 am

Is the issue retention under recoil?

With either a 22WM or 22LR you are giving up a lot going with such a short barrel and that is after already giving up a lot due to caliber. Would something like the Keltec PMR30 be an option. Using that with the gold dot ammo designed for short barrel / pistol is a winning solution for many with hand issues, recoil sensitive...and you get thirty shots.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/