Whatcha reading redux.

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
User avatar
HTRN
Probably Unemployed
Posts: 10856
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:05 am
Location: Under your bed with a knife
Contact:

Re: Whatcha reading redux.

Postby HTRN » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:01 am

HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt

User avatar
Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed
Posts: 12398
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:04 am
Location: Anchorage, AK

Re: Whatcha reading redux.

Postby Netpackrat » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:19 am

HTRN wrote:I found it :ugeek:


I am pretty sure that was posted here a while back.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop

toad
On a list somewhere
Posts: 2469
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:00 pm

Re: Whatcha reading redux.

Postby toad » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:42 pm

HTRN wrote:I found it :ugeek:

Damn that is it but I would have sworn they landed in New York City? I wonder if Turtledove upgraded it?

toad
On a list somewhere
Posts: 2469
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:00 pm

Re: Whatcha reading redux.

Postby toad » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:53 pm

https://pastebin.com/rT1Aq8pr

Found the sequel. Takes place long after the human empire collapses.

Langenator
Loose Cannon
Posts: 840
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:10 pm
Location: Brazos County, TX

Re: Whatcha reading redux.

Postby Langenator » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:57 am

So today I finished Zahn & Weber's latest prequel in the Honorverse, Call to Vengeance.

For some reason I thought that the Manticore Ascendant books were going to be a trilogy, but it's apparent now that that is not the case. I guess why make hamburgers when you can keep milking the cash cow?

BLUF: Good read, good addition to the storyline, does a good job of adding to the backstory of Manticore, the Royal Manticoran Navy, and the House of Winton, and a good job of further developing and pushing forward the main character of this story arc, Travis Long.

My main quibble come from disappointment of my utterly unfounded expectation that this was the final book of a trilogy, and that parts of the story line would come to conclusion. I'm working on separating that from how I feel about the books on it's merits.

The major complaint in the Amazon reviews seems to be that most of the story in this book is back-room and back-channel intrigue and politics, as well as espionage and other forms of skulduggery, and relatively little space battle action. I'm cool with that, and the story seemed to me to move forward at a good and readable pace.

Spoiler! :
SPOILER ALERT

The Manticorans do figure out who the invaders were, but they don't figure out who was behind them, or why. They still don't know that they're sitting on top of a figurative gold mine in the form of the Manticore Wormhole Junction. I guess that's to come in the future.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus

User avatar
randy
Moderator
Posts: 7263
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:33 am
Location: EM79

Re: Whatcha reading redux.

Postby randy » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:39 pm

The major complaint in the Amazon reviews seems to be that most of the story in this book is back-room and back-channel intrigue and politics, as well as espionage and other forms of skulduggery,


So apparently they've never read any of David Weber's other stuff?
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".

User avatar
Rumpshot
Active Shooter
Posts: 3901
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:56 pm
Location: Arizona

Re: Whatcha reading redux.

Postby Rumpshot » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:35 pm

"The Jungleers: A History of The 41st Infantry Division" By William F. McCartney. 1948.

"From Poplar to Papua; Montana's 163rd Infantry Regiment in World War II" by Martin J. Kidston. 2004.

"With the 41st Division in the Southwest Pacific; A Foot Soldier's Story" by Francis B. Catanzaro. 2002.

My Dad joined the Montana National Guard before the war, then was activated, trained in Washington, Oregon, and California before being shipped off to Australia aboard the Queen Elizabeth. The 41st Infantry Division was the point of the spear up through the Pacific Islands, though they were not as well remembered as the Marines. Had the war not ended when it did, they were scheduled to be the lead into Japan.

My Dad was wounded in Zamboanga, on March 16, 1945 in the San Jose Sector. He was part of A Company, 1st Battalion, 163rd Infantry, 41st Division. He had enough points and with the battlefield injury, was rotated home. He was separated from the Army as a Tech Sergeant on 15 August 1945. Battles and Campaigns: New Guinea, Southern Philippines, Papuan. Decorations: Purple Heart (which is on display in a local museum in my hometown), Good Conduct Medal, Distinguished Unit Badge, Philippine Liberation Medal with one Bronze Service Star. Though not listed on this certificate, I have reason to believe he also held the Combat Infantry Badge.

My Dad passed away in 1974. He did not often say much about the war. However some of the stories he did tell, I read about again in From Poplar to Papua.

Unfortunately, many of his records were amongst those that burned in the late 60's. If I get a chance, I will visit the Eisenhower Presidential Library, which I understand has a lot of the original records.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona

User avatar
MiddleAgedKen
On a list somewhere
Posts: 2396
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:11 pm
Location: Flyover Country
Contact:

Re: Whatcha reading redux.

Postby MiddleAgedKen » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:32 pm

Just started Stendhal, The Red and the Black.

So far the protagonist is not particularly sympathetic; I have a hard time with that.
Watergate didn't have a body count.

Langenator
Loose Cannon
Posts: 840
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:10 pm
Location: Brazos County, TX

Re: Whatcha reading redux.

Postby Langenator » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:15 pm

Rumpshot wrote:"The Jungleers: A History of The 41st Infantry Division" By William F. McCartney. 1948.

"From Poplar to Papua; Montana's 163rd Infantry Regiment in World War II" by Martin J. Kidston. 2004.

"With the 41st Division in the Southwest Pacific; A Foot Soldier's Story" by Francis B. Catanzaro. 2002.

My Dad joined the Montana National Guard before the war, then was activated, trained in Washington, Oregon, and California before being shipped off to Australia aboard the Queen Elizabeth. The 41st Infantry Division was the point of the spear up through the Pacific Islands, though they were not as well remembered as the Marines. Had the war not ended when it did, they were scheduled to be the lead into Japan.

My Dad was wounded in Zamboanga, on March 16, 1945 in the San Jose Sector. He was part of A Company, 1st Battalion, 163rd Infantry, 41st Division. He had enough points and with the battlefield injury, was rotated home. He was separated from the Army as a Tech Sergeant on 15 August 1945. Battles and Campaigns: New Guinea, Southern Philippines, Papuan. Decorations: Purple Heart (which is on display in a local museum in my hometown), Good Conduct Medal, Distinguished Unit Badge, Philippine Liberation Medal with one Bronze Service Star. Though not listed on this certificate, I have reason to believe he also held the Combat Infantry Badge.

My Dad passed away in 1974. He did not often say much about the war. However some of the stories he did tell, I read about again in From Poplar to Papua.

Unfortunately, many of his records were amongst those that burned in the late 60's. If I get a chance, I will visit the Eisenhower Presidential Library, which I understand has a lot of the original records.


MacArthur (and his staff) made sure nobody in the Southwest Pacific but MacArthur got any publicity.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus

User avatar
Rumpshot
Active Shooter
Posts: 3901
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:56 pm
Location: Arizona

Re: Whatcha reading redux.

Postby Rumpshot » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:11 pm

Supposedly there is a photo of MacArthur that was published in one of the magazines, that has my Dad in it.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona

User avatar
Captain Wheelgun
Loose Cannon
Posts: 835
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:31 am
Location: Austingrad, Travis County Socialist Republic

Re: Whatcha reading redux.

Postby Captain Wheelgun » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:49 pm

randy wrote:
The major complaint in the Amazon reviews seems to be that most of the story in this book is back-room and back-channel intrigue and politics, as well as espionage and other forms of skulduggery,


So apparently they've never read any of David Weber's other stuff?

Speaking of which, the E-ARC of "Uncompromising Honor" is up on Baen's web site. I'm about a third of the way through it now. :ugeek:
"The best diplomat I know is a fully charged phaser bank" - Cmdr. Montgomery Scott
Captain Wheelgun's World

User avatar
Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed
Posts: 12398
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:04 am
Location: Anchorage, AK

Re: Whatcha reading redux.

Postby Netpackrat » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:05 am

Finished Alliance Of Shadows on a flight today. Started Angeleyes by Mad Mike... It started off kind of slow, and then I thought I was reading Ringo there for a minute... :shock:
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop

User avatar
Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed
Posts: 12398
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:04 am
Location: Anchorage, AK

Re: Whatcha reading redux.

Postby Netpackrat » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:48 am

Netpackrat wrote:Finished Alliance Of Shadows on a flight today. Started Angeleyes by Mad Mike... It started off kind of slow, and then I thought I was reading Ringo there for a minute... :shock:


Yeah, the main character is kind of a whore, sleeps her way around space. But eventually she hooks up with a Grainne military ship, so she's doing it for patriotic reasons. And when I say she hooks up with the ship, she literally hooks up with a significant percentage of the crew while she is aboard.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop

User avatar
Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed
Posts: 12398
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:04 am
Location: Anchorage, AK

Re: Whatcha reading redux.

Postby Netpackrat » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:57 am

Never going to read this in quite the same light now. Thanks, Mad Mike.... :roll:
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop

Cobar
Trigger Junkie
Posts: 1284
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:23 pm
Location: Western NC

Re: Whatcha reading redux.

Postby Cobar » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:09 pm

Netpackrat wrote:Never going to read this in quite the same light now. Thanks, Mad Mike.... :roll:


Does Ivan make an appearance in one of his books?

User avatar
Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed
Posts: 12398
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:04 am
Location: Anchorage, AK

Re: Whatcha reading redux.

Postby Netpackrat » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:50 pm

Cobar wrote:
Netpackrat wrote:Never going to read this in quite the same light now. Thanks, Mad Mike.... :roll:


Does Ivan make an appearance in one of his books?


Angie will not fucking talk about it. Ever.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop

toad
On a list somewhere
Posts: 2469
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:00 pm

Re: Whatcha reading redux.

Postby toad » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:16 pm

Does anybody know where I can find a collection of short stories by Verner Vinge?

User avatar
Weetabix
Good Christ I Need A Life
Posts: 5374
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:04 am
Location: MO
Contact:

Re: Whatcha reading redux.

Postby Weetabix » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:59 pm

Working my way through Ringo's Posleen series. Just finished Gust Front.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D

User avatar
evan price
Trigger Junkie
Posts: 1785
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:24 am
Location: OH-IO The heart of it all!

Re: Whatcha reading redux.

Postby evan price » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:20 am

EE Knight.. Vampire World.. just started reading it.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!

Langenator
Loose Cannon
Posts: 840
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:10 pm
Location: Brazos County, TX

Re: Whatcha reading redux.

Postby Langenator » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:31 pm

Fiction: Honor Among Enemies by David Weber. Going through the Honor Harrington series again.

Non-Fiction: Silent Victory: The U.S. Submarine War Against Japan, v.1 by Clay Blair, Jr.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus

User avatar
First Shirt
Active Shooter
Posts: 4353
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:32 am
Location: Sweet Home Alabama

Re: Whatcha reading redux.

Postby First Shirt » Tue May 01, 2018 10:36 pm

Re-reading The Last Centurion by John Ringo. Reminds me, once again, how lucky we are that HRC is not president.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom

User avatar
MiddleAgedKen
On a list somewhere
Posts: 2396
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:11 pm
Location: Flyover Country
Contact:

Re: Whatcha reading redux.

Postby MiddleAgedKen » Wed May 02, 2018 1:26 am

First Shirt wrote:Re-reading The Last Centurion by John Ringo. Reminds me, once again, how lucky we are that HRC is not president.


Word. You speak for me. You know, the arrant dishonesty of our media and academic classes makes it unlikely most people will ever realize the bullet this Republic dodged...for now, anyway.

After I finish The Red and the Black (which got a lot better), I've got George MacDonald's At the Back of the North Wind and Clashes, by Marshall Michel III (the latter is about the air war over Vietnam) queued up.
Watergate didn't have a body count.

User avatar
308Mike
Moderator
Posts: 16524
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:47 pm
Location: San Diego area, People's Republic of Kommiefornia

Re: Whatcha reading redux.

Postby 308Mike » Fri May 04, 2018 4:09 am

I just picked up a book that's out of print, written by my old friend and former classmate, Scott Ereckson, titled: "The Unknown Mongol". I didn't even know about him writing a book about his biker experiences as a member of the Mongols until I learned of this book from an old friend. I had known Scott went to prison for the killing of the local Hell's Angels chapter president, and he'd also been involved in a few other incidents, but I had NO IDEA he'd written a book - so I HAD to go out and find it!! And if you search Amazon for it, you'll see that other than those copies still being offered at RETAIL price, they value of this book has simply skyrocketed - especially since it's out of print and details the life of Scott as a member of the outlaw motorcycle club Mongols (in direct competition with the Hell's Angels).

One of the Amazon.com pages shows the books being sold at hundreds of dollars ($723.35 & FREE Shipping + $0.00 estimated tax Used - Good), so I picked up 2 copies - one to keep, one to sell later when the price goes up. FYI - Scott is no dummy, he's quite smart, so I'm not surprised he self-published his own book, and so far, it's an entertaining read!! :lol: :D :lol: :) :D :lol: :shock: 8-) :lol:
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad

toad
On a list somewhere
Posts: 2469
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:00 pm

Re: Whatcha reading redux.

Postby toad » Sun May 06, 2018 2:25 pm

I've just finished reading 5 books by JL Curtis on kindle, The Grey Man series. They cover the Obama Years and the start of the Trump Administration.
They are kind of a police procedural , military action, and political commentary. Some interesting bits have been the growth of rules, regulations, and getting the proper forms filled out and procedure over riding actual getting the job done.
Also the loss of experienced people in the military and law enforcement due to bull shit ROE and the rise of paper pushers and political types.
Also having to master the digital age over the years.
It has been reported more veterans are starting to get into politics but the book hints that more ex-military are getting into law enforcement. Thing could get interesting in the next few years.

Greg
Probably Unemployed
Posts: 8148
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:15 pm
Location: MO

Re: Whatcha reading redux.

Postby Greg » Wed May 09, 2018 6:13 am

toad wrote:Does anybody know where I can find a collection of short stories by Verner Vinge?


Looking for this one?

https://www.amazon.com/Collected-Storie ... 0312875843

'The Whirligig of Time' is one of my all-time favorites. Read it while listening to Depeche Mode's 'Stripped'.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr

toad
On a list somewhere
Posts: 2469
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:00 pm

Re: Whatcha reading redux.

Postby toad » Thu May 10, 2018 4:18 am

Greg wrote:
toad wrote:Does anybody know where I can find a collection of short stories by Verner Vinge?


Looking for this one?

https://www.amazon.com/Collected-Storie ... 0312875843

'The Whirligig of Time' is one of my all-time favorites. Read it while listening to Depeche Mode's 'Stripped'.

Ayup, I'm pretty sure it has the story about privately owned nuclear weapons that I read back in the day of everything on dead trees.
I just recently saw a comment that Vinge had written the story so no I've got the bug up my butt to re-read it.
Thanks.

Greg
Probably Unemployed
Posts: 8148
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:15 pm
Location: MO

Re: Whatcha reading redux.

Postby Greg » Fri May 11, 2018 5:53 pm

toad wrote:
Greg wrote:
toad wrote:Does anybody know where I can find a collection of short stories by Verner Vinge?


Looking for this one?

https://www.amazon.com/Collected-Storie ... 0312875843

'The Whirligig of Time' is one of my all-time favorites. Read it while listening to Depeche Mode's 'Stripped'.

Ayup, I'm pretty sure it has the story about privately owned nuclear weapons that I read back in the day of everything on dead trees.
I just recently saw a comment that Vinge had written the story so no I've got the bug up my butt to re-read it.
Thanks.


The one you're looking for is 'The Ungoverned', which is set in the same universe as 'The Peace War' and 'Marooned in Realtime'. (bobble verse, as it were)

It's available for free online on Baen's site as part of the sample chapters of a collection called 'Freedom!. I just read it.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr

User avatar
Weetabix
Good Christ I Need A Life
Posts: 5374
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:04 am
Location: MO
Contact:

Re: Whatcha reading redux.

Postby Weetabix » Fri May 11, 2018 7:58 pm

Ringo's "Dancing with the Devil" or "When the Devil Dances" or "When the Devil went down to Georgia" or whatever. I've kind of slowed down, but I think I'm getting to the SheVa part, and I remember enjoying that part. Grandpa and Cally's sections are fun, too. Don't care for the Urb sections.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D


Return to “Culture Junkies”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests