Vz-58 build, a work in progress

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
FelixEstrella

Vz-58 build, a work in progress

Post by FelixEstrella »

By request from Denis, a Vz-58 build.

Step (1) -- press barrel out of receiver stub.
"Luck is where you find it—but to find it you have to look for it" -- Eugene Fluckey.
Blogspot
picsig
FelixEstrella

Re: Vz-58 build, a work in progress

Post by FelixEstrella »

Step 1a -- remove top and lower handguards and piston. Note the pin holding lower handguard in place.
"Luck is where you find it—but to find it you have to look for it" -- Eugene Fluckey.
Blogspot
picsig
FelixEstrella

Post by FelixEstrella »

Step 1b -- for the press arbor, I chose to use a 3/8" extension with suitably sized socket. Unfortunately, the locking lugs get in the way so they have to go.
Blogspot
picsig
FelixEstrella

Post by FelixEstrella »

Step 1c -- interference free path for arbor. Don't forget the barrel pin.
Blogspot
picsig
FelixEstrella

Post by FelixEstrella »

Step 1d -- now we press the barrel out. A 12 ton press did just fine.
Blogspot
picsig
FelixEstrella

Post by FelixEstrella »

Step 2 -- Since barrel is shorter than required 16", we must permanently affix a barrel extension. I chose a Slovakian muzzle brake and silver brazed it on. (photos to follow)
Step 3 -- A friction/interference fit is needed between barrel and receiver ... the recommendation is that the barrel shank is 0.0005" larger in diameter than the ID of the receiver. Unfortunately, mine is the other way. One can extensively stipple the barrel shank to raise the metal surface using a dead-blow hammer against a mill file, or a straight hand knurler on the barrel shank to raise the metal surface. I'll show both (photos to follow)
Step 4 -- when correct interference fit is achieved, pound barrel into receiver about 1/4" using a mallet and correctly time the barrel -- I will use a length of fishing string from front sight post to rear of receiver, passing thru rear sight, and visually aligning. (photos to follow)

Stay tuned.
Blogspot
picsig
Denis

Post by Denis »

Wow! Thanks, Felix.

A silly question - do I understand correctly that you can buy a Vz58 that has been de-milled by chopping the receiver? Is it otherwise complete? Where do you get the replacement receiver - are those US made?
FelixEstrella

Post by FelixEstrella »

Denis wrote:Wow! Thanks, Felix.

A silly question - do I understand correctly that you can buy a Vz58 that has been de-milled by chopping the receiver? Is it otherwise complete? Where do you get the replacement receiver - are those US made?
Yup. Complete parts kits, less receiver. Of course, I/we/Americans have to make it "compliant" by replacing the expected number of parts with US made counterparts.

You can still get ORF (US made) receivers from Assault Weapons of Ohio. Czechpoint-USA also carries D-Technik receivers.
Blogspot
picsig
FelixEstrella

Post by FelixEstrella »

Step 3 -- A friction/interference fit is needed between barrel and receiver ... the recommendation is that the barrel shank is 0.0005" larger in diameter than the ID of the receiver. Unfortunately, mine is the other way. One can extensively stipple the barrel shank to raise the metal surface using a dead-blow hammer against a mill file, or a straight hand knurler on the barrel shank to raise the metal surface. The former yields inconsistent results since it requires consistent turning of the barrel while pounding it. The latter yields better results and is far easier to perform too.

Also, before getting ready to press the barrel into the receiver, make sure you insert (after appropriate fitting for your receiver) the piston stop (the little crescent shaped piece that slips into the crescent shaped slot on the upper side of the barrel hole in the receiver) ... life will be much tougher for you if you forget and find need to press the barrel back out of the receiver.
Blogspot
picsig
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

"Every time HTRN makes a comment, it costs a WECSOGer a c note" :lol: :lol: :lol:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt