Making Splice repairs

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Candyman

Making Splice repairs

Post by Candyman »

Making Splice Repairs are not as hard as you would think. I have seen people replace some very nice stock just because it was missing a chip of wood.
This post will walk you through a repair .

As always, we need a Victim. For this post I will use a M1 Carbine stock.
This type of damage is very common on Carbine stocks. Most of the time it is caused by the improper fitting of the recoil plate.

First you will need to mill out the damaged area. This can be done with a Dremel tool and a highspeed cutting bit or wood files. You will need to square up the damaged area so that a new piece of wood can be fitted.

Then cut a pice of wood to fit the area. Try to match the wood as close as possible, this will help to blend the repair. Try and cut your replacement piece so that it fits sung and test fit it.

I like to use Brownell's Acraglass for my repairs, but a clear epoxy like Devcon 2 Ton Epoxy with the 30 min. set time can be used. Do not use super glue, wood glues or any of the 5 min. epoxys, they will not hold up in the long run.
Once you have applied the resin, clamp the piece in place.

Once the resin has cured, trim the pice of wood down close to where you need it with a dremel tool or file.

Then dress it up using a sanding block and sand paper.

The hardest part of a repair can be blending in the finish. Most offten I use alcohol base stains or dye to blend the finish.

I hope that this helps some of you and as always, if you have any questions, please ask.
Do not relish to feel what the men that used these weapons felt when they saw the elephant. For the elephant has tusk and to see him is to have his tusk dig deep into your soul. You will always have a part of you that will be cold and empty.
DwightG

Re: Making Splice repairs

Post by DwightG »

Thanks Candyman. Nicely done as always. I have a similar repair I need to do on a No.5 Enfield Jungle Carbine. Now all I need to do is figure out where to get some time :o
workinwifdakids

Post by workinwifdakids »

Good grief, Candyman!
:shock:

If you didn't know what you were looking for, you might not even see there was ever a problem!

You, Sir, do brilliant work.
And may I say, from a moral point of view, I think there can be no justification for shoving snack cakes up your action.
--Weetabix
Candyman

Post by Candyman »

:lol: :lol: The repair sticks out like a sore thumb to me, but I have come to live with imperfection. :lol: :lol:
Do not relish to feel what the men that used these weapons felt when they saw the elephant. For the elephant has tusk and to see him is to have his tusk dig deep into your soul. You will always have a part of you that will be cold and empty.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Candyman wrote:I like to use Brownell's Acraglass for my repairs, but a clear epoxy like Devcon 2 Ton Epoxy with the 30 min. set time can be used. Do not use super glue, wood glues or any of the 5 min. epoxys, they will not hold up in the long run.
Repairs like this is the only thing I would use Acraglass for. Out of curiousity, is it regular Acraglass, or the Gel?

HTRN
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Denis

Post by Denis »

Magic, as usual, Candyman. Thanks!

I have a stock with a little chip out at the tang like that. I don't think I'd be able to make a repair vanish like yours did, so what do you think of inletting a little contrasting piece of wood (ebony or somesuch) and "embracing the suck" as Blackeagle suggested?
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Sir, you are truly a wizard!
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

Excellent work!
Candyman

Post by Candyman »

HTRN wrote:
Candyman wrote:I like to use Brownell's Acraglass for my repairs, but a clear epoxy like Devcon 2 Ton Epoxy with the 30 min. set time can be used. Do not use super glue, wood glues or any of the 5 min. epoxys, they will not hold up in the long run.
Repairs like this is the only thing I would use Acraglass for. Out of curiousity, is it regular Acraglass, or the Gel?

HTRN
I use the regular Acraglas for all my repairs. I have used the Gel for bedding.
Candyman

Post by Candyman »

Denis wrote:Magic, as usual, Candyman. Thanks!

I have a stock with a little chip out at the tang like that. I don't think I'd be able to make a repair vanish like yours did, so what do you think of inletting a little contrasting piece of wood (ebony or somesuch) and "embracing the suck" as Blackeagle suggested?
Using contrasting wood can be done. I used a light color hard wood when doing a repair on an old friends shotgun. Sometimes a repair that stands out looks better then one that you try to hide.