Termite's .308 lite loads...field tested!

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Termite

Termite's .308 lite loads...field tested!

Post by Termite »

In case anyone is interested, the recipe is:

.308 Winchester pre-primed brass
38.5 grs of Hodgdon H-4895 powder
Remington 150gr RNSP 30-30 bullets, seated to the cannaleur, w/Lee factory crimp

I also broke out the chronograph(that has been sitting in my cabinet unused for 3 yrs). Average velocity was 2331 fps, from the Mod 600's 18.5" barrel.

Sighted in about an inch high at 100 yds, it should be about dead on at 150 yds, and 3" or so low at 200 yds. Pretty much duplicates most factory 150gr 30-30 loads.
Recoil is substantially less than full .308 loads.
Last edited by Termite on Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
PawPaw

Re: Finally got off my dead butt and loaded the .308 lite loads.

Post by PawPaw »

Sounds good. I just picked up a .308 and as soon as hunting season is over, I hope to wring it out. I'm looking at light loads too. I'm thinking about 125 gamekings at 2300 fps and cast bullets at 1500 fps.

4895 is a very versatile powder, isn't it?
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Termite

Post by Termite »

This was Hodgdon 4895. But I also have IMR 4895. Yes, both are pretty versatile.

I was looking for a load slightly more powerful than the 7.62x39 standard load(123-125 gr @ 2300-2350fps). So I loaded the Remington 150gr RN to that velocity. Junior Termite is moving up from the Mini-30 to the M600 for a couple of years. That should give me more time to buy the rifle he really wants: a 6.5x55, probably a CZ 550.

Speaking of 30-30 cast bullets, want to sell me a few of yours, the 170 gr GCs with the wide meplat?
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Termite wrote:Junior Termite is moving up from the Mini-30 to the M600 for a couple of years. That should give me more time to buy the rifle he really wants: a 6.5x55, probably a CZ 550.
Nobody can ever tell you that you're not raising that boy right.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Denis

Post by Denis »

Netpackrat wrote:
Termite wrote:Junior Termite is moving up from the Mini-30 to the M600 for a couple of years. That should give me more time to buy the rifle he really wants: a 6.5x55, probably a CZ 550.
Nobody can ever tell you that you're not raising that boy right.
Amen to that.

About .30-30 bullets and .308 rifles. Is there any particular reason not to use .30-30 bulletss in a .308 rifle, provided the OAL is sufficient to avoid a big jump to the rifling? The gunshop near my in-laws seems to have good value in bulk packs of Privi Partizan .30 calibre projectiles, but the vendor told me they're for .30-30 and not .308. Is he talking nonsense? If they are usable in .308, I could make up some cheap practice ammunition or some light hunting loads with them.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Denis wrote:About .30-30 bullets and .308 rifles. Is there any particular reason not to use .30-30 bulletss in a .308 rifle, provided the OAL is sufficient to avoid a big jump to the rifling? The gunshop near my in-laws seems to have good value in bulk packs of Privi Partizan .30 calibre projectiles, but the vendor told me they're for .30-30 and not .308. Is he talking nonsense? If they are usable in .308, I could make up some cheap practice ammunition or some light hunting loads with them.
Trajectory will suffer somewhat with bullets designed for the .30-30, because they will be either round nose or flat point bullets. Also, if you run them at standard .308 velocities and try to use them on game, you might get fragmentation rather than controlled expansion. The bullet shape could also potentially cause feeding problems, at least in autoloading actions. But for cheap practice with a bolt action rifle, I don't see any issues. I loaded up some .30-30 flat points in .30-06 once and they were fine, although I did not try to hunt with them, nor would I recommend such.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Termite

Post by Termite »

Bullets designed specifically for 30-30 generally have a slightly thinner jacket than those designed for .308 or 30-06, so they will expand at lower velocities. It's why I picked the Remington 150gr RNSP 30-30 bullet for the .308 lite loads. That, and they are usually cheaper.

Just don't load them up to full .308/30-06 velocity, unless you are shooting coyotes or other varmits. They will expand violently on deer at those speeds.
I know a WWII veteran(now deceased) who used to load 150gr 30-30 bullets to max speed in a 30-06. He said they worked great on deer on ideal behind-the-shoulder shots. Would destroy the lungs/heart, usually dropping the deer in its tracks. But he also said the bullets came apart, rarely exited, so you had to pick your shot angle carefully.
Termite

Post by Termite »

Netpackrat wrote: Nobody can ever tell you that you're not raising that boy right.
Thank you, NPR. That is nice of you to say. :)

I'm trying....... :?
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

I have a box of 6.5 Norma Nosler sitting on my safe right now. Not doing much with it as I don't own one.

Yet.

But it will be a few years I am afraid.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

Termite asks: Speaking of 30-30 cast bullets, want to sell me a few of yours, the 170 gr GCs with the wide meplat?
Absolutely not. I don't sell bullets to friends!

However, I just looked and I have several hundred on the bench. I'd be happy to give you some. How many you looking for?

Email me and when we're both free, come and pick them up.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House