Need a Rifle Vise/Bench Rest for Shooting and Maintenance

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
Ben Rumson

Need a Rifle Vise/Bench Rest for Shooting and Maintenance

Post by Ben Rumson »

I had an epiphany the other night that I need a rifle stand/vise for cleaning and very minor repairs/modifications. I would also like to use it as a bench rest.

I've checked Cabella's and Midway, but the offerings seem sparse..

What are yuz guys using? Or what would you buy?
arctictom

Re: Need a Rifle Vise/Bench Rest for Shooting and Maintenance

Post by arctictom »

I use a plastic tool box from Home Cheapo, and have half a dozen pads I use to set firearms in .
Not fancy but it works .
You live and learn.
Or you don't live long.
SeekHer

Post by SeekHer »

Orvis has a lovely wooden one that closes up and has got slots for you to store stuff in, out of wood, perfectly sized to handle a double barrel SxS shotgun, oak or cherry -- they really burn well...Called the Shooter's Box or similar...

Blackpowder Rifle Magazine had advertisements from a couple of guys making wooden ones as well but on a little larger scale (handle Sharps rifles etc.) you could check with them...

MTM -- Case Guard IIRC had a plastic box that had flip up brackets to cradle the gun...really handy at the range and It melts into a lovely multi-colour puddle...

Cabela's had a wooden contraption the squeezed the butt and foregrip and helped in minor repairs and for cleaning called the Shooter's Vise or something like that--worked quite well but doesn't burn as well as the Orvis box did...

There was a couple of guys, IIRC different guys, that advertised in Shoot Magazine from the SASS people and some that were in Guns of the Old West...

Bruno's Shooting Supplies or Sinclair Int or Forster or Champion Shooter's Supply had a nice case/rest...

This is going strictly off memory so I've probably missed a few and it may not be MTM but a Battenfeld...

Hope it's of some use...
There is a certain type of mentality that thinks if you make certain inanimate objects illegal their criminal misuse will disappear!

Damn the TSA and Down with the BATF(u)E!
Support the J P F O to "Give them the Boot"!!
ButchS1066

Post by ButchS1066 »

CTK Precision makes what I'd copy if I had a need for such a thing.
Life is short, ammo is expendable. Empty the mag.
Denis

Post by Denis »

SeekHer wrote:It melts into a lovely multi-colour puddle...
Sad. :(
SeekHer

Post by SeekHer »

Found the Cabela's Vises under Cleaning Supplies

The Cabela's' Gun Vise is a hard plastic now but it was available in wood years ago...

It is MTM Site and Clean Box although mine looked more like the Plano one, size wise, but in Red...

The wooden one I had was kinda like the Gun Master Gun Cleaning Kit they have for $49.99 but the Wood Deluxe Cradle Cleaning Kit for $99.99 looks really nice...

Orvis calls theirs the Solid Maple Gunning Box and I really liked it because you could put a SxS down in the slot or better still turn an O/U on its sides to work on which the older Cabela's didn't do...But I paid nowhere near what they are asking for it now--maybe $30, 20+ years ago...
There is a certain type of mentality that thinks if you make certain inanimate objects illegal their criminal misuse will disappear!

Damn the TSA and Down with the BATF(u)E!
Support the J P F O to "Give them the Boot"!!
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

There are alot of companies making gun vises, mostly the same basic idea with minor variations.

I personally use a M-T-M portable gun maintenance center thats older than dirt, and it has 1 feature I like - COVERS! It's so easy to spill stuff, it's not funny. Wood is nice, but spill solvent on it, and it looks like crap in short order. I still need to eventually get a vise to mount scopes though.

HTRN
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

One of the surplus rifle sites had plans for a build-it-yourself vice/rest that was supposed to be strong enough for shooting from (properly secured to the bench of course). IIRC it was designed for a Mosin Nagant. I'll see if I can find a link.

I personally bought a plastic one from Midway just for cleaning, I wouldn't try shooting from it.

Edited:

Here's the DIY one:

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting200 ... /index.asp