Can We Mount This On The Deck Of The SS Guncounter?

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Dub_James

Re: Can We Mount This On The Deck Of The SS Guncounter?

Post by Dub_James »

According to the Wiki, Mark III Gabriels have Fire and Forget capability.

Good. We can get back to manning the harpoons quicker 8-)
Oh, the heads that turn
Make my back burn
And those heads that turn
Make my back, make my back burn

-She Sells Sanctuary
The Cult
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Hell, I think a bow mounted single Bushmaster III(35mm) and a pair of twin mount 50s on the stern is about the best setup. Add in some heavier weapons on board(Stinger, SMAW, Javelin, 40mm AGL, etc) that can be broken out of the armory as needed.. Remember, we're talking pirates, not a real warship.

What would be a real boon is a small armed helicopter, for fast scouting, like the Little Bird.

HTRN
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Aegis

Post by Aegis »

HTRN wrote:
Aegis wrote:I'm also curious about the 4" thing. I never saw nor heard about any 4-inchers. But if you're dead-set on that size, it's just a hair under 105mm.
OTO Melara is making a "Super Rapid" 76mm (3"), that fires something like 120 rds/min. Perhaps that's what he's referring to. The US navy uses a slower firing "compact" version..

HTRN
All my friends aboard frigates have nothing good to say about the 76mms... No experience with them myself, but if the hearsay is true, then I'd rather not rely on one.
CByrneIV wrote: In this case, I was appealing to the historical precedent, of the 4" British gun being used to arm shipping traveling around Africa.
Ah hah.... Fascinating. I never would have even assumed to think about British weaponry.
Chicks dig fixed bayonets
Dub_James

Post by Dub_James »

The Little Bird would be nice, but how about a nice Lynx?
Oh, the heads that turn
Make my back burn
And those heads that turn
Make my back, make my back burn

-She Sells Sanctuary
The Cult
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Too big - the bigger the copter, the bigger the landing pad has to be.

HTRN
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
randy

Post by randy »

HTRN wrote:Too big - the bigger the copter, the bigger the landing pad has to be.

HTRN
Not to mention hangar space (even if all you use is a temporary cover), maintenance area, etc.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Hmm, Dillon M134DT(42lbs), a 3000 round little bird magazine(207lbs full).. Total weight for a gun system is 249lbs. Add in another 50lbs for mounting hardware, etc. call it 300lbs even.

Hmm, a M260 70mm rocket launcher weighs only 315 pounds with the heaviest rockets..

HTRN

workinwifdakids

Post by workinwifdakids »

CByrneIV wrote:
HTRN wrote:Too big - the bigger the copter, the bigger the landing pad has to be.

HTRN
We could basically custom build them from the ground up to carry whatever weapons systems we wanted.
What preparations would we have to make to drop hand grenades on them while making high-speed passes?
:twisted:
And may I say, from a moral point of view, I think there can be no justification for shoving snack cakes up your action.
--Weetabix
AZMARK

Post by AZMARK »

workinwifdakids wrote: What preparations would we have to make to drop hand grenades on them while making high-speed passes?
Just a couple of quart mason jars, pull the pins before the run and let'em go.
My favorite story of his ended with "...and so he went out the back door in his bathrobe, flipped the AK to 'Afrikaner', and started hosing the baboons off his tennis court." - Tam
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

AZMARK wrote:
workinwifdakids wrote: What preparations would we have to make to drop hand grenades on them while making high-speed passes?
Just a couple of quart mason jars, pull the pins before the run and let'em go.
They wouldn't be effective. Might scare them, but that is it.