Can We Mount This On The Deck Of The SS Guncounter?

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
randy

Re: Can We Mount This On The Deck Of The SS Guncounter?

Post by randy »

Sunk by demolition charges planted by the DSGE while it was in port in New Zealand, killed one of the Green Peacers IIRC.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Forget the harpoon, can it be rigged to fire grape shot?
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Why the heck would we want that unless we are going wale hunting. How about one of these.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Highspeed

Post by Highspeed »

randy wrote:Sunk by demolition charges planted by the DSGE while it was in port in New Zealand, killed one of the Green Peacers IIRC.
Another proud moment in the annals ( anals ? ) of French military history. I don't like stupid hippies any more than any other sane person, but there isn't any need to kill them. A good hard smack in the mouth should be enough, then make them wash and get a job. That's actually worse than death to them.
The same nation were happy to resupply our Argentinean enemies with Exocet anti-ship missiles during the Falklands War ( although the missiles wouldn't have arrived because the SAS were standing by to sink the boat carrying them as soon as it left port ).
By contrast Ronnie Raygun ( bless his soul ) said " Our mates over the pond are fighting a war a long way from home with limited air power, let's waive that not-for-export tag on our new AIM-9L all aspect heat seekers and send their pilots some missile goodness, so they can light up their enemies "
All my life I been in the dog house
I guess that just where I belong
That just the way the dice roll
Do my dog house song
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

CByrneIV wrote:I was thinking a couple of dual mount 4" rapid firing.
4"?

United Defense is going to be building new 5" rapid fire guns for the Cruiser Modernization program.. They're not very heavy either - under 2 tons.

Or we could do what the Germans did - rip a turret off of an SP gun, and put it on a frigate.

HTRN
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Aegis

Post by Aegis »

HTRN wrote:
CByrneIV wrote:I was thinking a couple of dual mount 4" rapid firing.
4"?

United Defense is going to be building new 5" rapid fire guns for the Cruiser Modernization program.. They're not very heavy either - under 2 tons.

Or we could do what the Germans did - rip a turret off of an SP gun, and put it on a frigate.

HTRN
I'm also curious about the 4" thing. I never saw nor heard about any 4-inchers. But if you're dead-set on that size, it's just a hair under 105mm.
Chicks dig fixed bayonets
sam

Post by sam »

Can we have TOT capability, please?
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Aegis wrote:I'm also curious about the 4" thing. I never saw nor heard about any 4-inchers. But if you're dead-set on that size, it's just a hair under 105mm.
OTO Melara is making a "Super Rapid" 76mm (3"), that fires something like 120 rds/min. Perhaps that's what he's referring to. The US navy uses a slower firing "compact" version..

HTRN
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
FelixEstrella

Post by FelixEstrella »

Highspeed wrote: Another proud moment in the annals ( anals ? ) of French military history. I don't like stupid hippies any more than any other sane person, but there isn't any need to kill them.
I wonder if tree-spikers of yore harbored the same scruples knowing full well what happens when a sawmill blade hits a steel spike buried in a log.
"Luck is where you find it—but to find it you have to look for it" -- Eugene Fluckey.
Blogspot
picsig
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

I don't know that a big deck gun would be very useful for the proposed mission. If one is absolutely wanted, probably an OTO Melara lightweight 76 would be the way to go.

I think light weight fast firing would be the way to go. If we want more punch, stick some surface to surface missiles on there. I would go with these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabriel_missile but Penguin or Kormorant would be good choices as well. If the ship is smaller, maybe sea-hellfire.