Used shotguns, Rem 870s or Mossberg 500s

The place for beginners, or anyone else, to talk about gun, gear, and shooting topics with a minimum of jargon and/or geekery. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask that blows up in your face later.
Whirlibird

Re: Used shotguns, Rem 870s or Mossberg 500s

Post by Whirlibird »

Between the two choices? The 870.

I've seen a couple worn out 500's, it took 20+ years of ammo, and a whole lot of it at that but it has happened.

The 870's seem to wear in, get sloppy and stop wearing for the most part.
The ejectors on the express models have an annoying tendency to come loose more often than the same part in the Wingmaster models.
The Wingmasters will be smoother operating so if there's a choice between the WM and the Express model, the WM gets the nod.

However I've got a Mossy/Maverick 8 round scattergun in my patrol car right now, set up as a less lethal scattergun.
Right next to it is an Ithaca 37 loaded with 00, I'm the oddity in the dept. I carry the Ithaca so there's no mistake in which gun I grab, lethal or less-lethal.
The Sgt carries an 590 and the 2 other cars have off-brand 500's that I cut back and put Knoxx stocks on.

I just prefer the Ithaca and it's feel and operation. It confuses everybody else so I get it, not that I'm complaining. Got a stripped 37 receiver at home that I'm gonna rebuild one of these days. However if a good 870 comes along, I'd pick it up also.

I'm a bit of a scattergun (pump) snob for my own uses, I just don't like the Winchester products, they don't feel right and won't pattern for me. Most of the rest fall into the 'eh' category. They work, but not for me.
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

I love my Ithicas, but they stay in the safe while the remingtons stay in the closets and trunks.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

The 500s have kind of a spotty reputation as to reliability and/or build quality. If you get a good one they are great, but if you don't get a good one... I have never heard of anyone getting a bad 870; mine has been dead reliable since my dad gave it to me for Christmas nearly 20 years ago.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
workinwifdakids

Post by workinwifdakids »

I vote for the 870, but wouldn't turn a 500 down at a great price.

If you want dirt cheap on a beater gun that works like a brick, try the H&R/NEF Pardner break-action in 12 gauge. You can get a used one for under $100, if you look hard.
And may I say, from a moral point of view, I think there can be no justification for shoving snack cakes up your action.
--Weetabix
clyde621

Post by clyde621 »

You can also look around the pawn shops and find a really beat up 870 and get a good deal. I found one at the local cop shop for $75. My wife had a fit said I threw money away. I cleaned it up and put a new stock then she wanted to know when I bought that one. :mrgreen:
Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people.
Theodore Roosevelt
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Xavier finds all kinds of deals at pawn shops.
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
clyde621

Post by clyde621 »

Like Mama says, Pawn Shops are like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to find until you get inside. :mrgreen:
Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people.
Theodore Roosevelt
eocoolj

Post by eocoolj »

not to jack, but speaking of pawn shops, is anyone here from PA? I've been into several pawn shops in Pennsylvania and none of them have guns. Is there some law in PA against pawning guns, or is it just such a hassle to be an FFL that not many pawn shops deal with it?
Mud_Dog

Post by Mud_Dog »

eocoolj wrote:not to jack, but speaking of pawn shops, is anyone here from PA? I've been into several pawn shops in Pennsylvania and none of them have guns. Is there some law in PA against pawning guns, or is it just such a hassle to be an FFL that not many pawn shops deal with it?
They have pawn shops in PA? While I was in Pittsburgh I didn't even see one! Maybe it was just that area...
Obamalypse, Part II: The Armening. (-NPR)
eocoolj

Post by eocoolj »

i've only been in a couple of them, in easton. The typical lineup is some beat to hell power tools, a few guitars, and some jewelry. I'm not particularly interested in any of those things.