good, accurate, inexpensive 7.62

The place for beginners, or anyone else, to talk about gun, gear, and shooting topics with a minimum of jargon and/or geekery. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask that blows up in your face later.
Whirlibird

Re: good, accurate, inexpensive 7.62

Post by Whirlibird »

Not a fan of the Saiga's, but that's just me.

The G3 copies are fair to excellent. If you want an excellent one, the PTR-91 is equal or slightly better than the original H&K. Check Atlantic Firearms for them.

In a FAL, right now, DSA is the best manufactured out there. Good QC and service.
It gives me the shakes to think of paying that much for a FAL though. Parts kits are still available reasonably, the latest batch have cut barrels though. There's a couple of vendors (on gunbroker) that are selling the cut barrel kits with 5 compliance parts for just over $200 or so. Using a DSA ($450+ if you can find one) or a current Entreprise Arms receiver ($350) gives you 6 compliance parts and using a US made gas piston (recommended regardless) and a DSA made barrel, you have enough parts to keep the flash hider installed, most places.

My personal choice is the FAL, I've built a number of them and I can build one in an evening, except the re-finish. Minimal tools to build and repair them, they're built to last and then some.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Define accurate. A .308 Saiga will shoot with a run of the mill M1A, FAL, G3, etc. An accurized M1A will have the Saiga for lunch, but it will cost a whole lot more than the $500 or so for the .308 Saiga. If you want to buy a ton of magazines, go with the FAL or G3 clones. Weak point of the Saiga is still the magazine situation; they are all plastic, and 20 rounders are $45-$50 each, but at least they are readily available now. Contrast that with $3-$6 for G3 mags, and $12 FAL mags.
Last edited by Netpackrat on Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

DSA FALs are not cheap.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

M1 Garands can be converted to 7.62x51 relatively easily. You replace the barrel (usually sold slightly short-chambered so a smith will need to finish ream the chamber), and ideally install a spacer inside the well (to keep the shorter cartridges from sliding forward). The gas port is a little bigger, and an adjustable gas plug is well worth considering.

This was a very popular conversion a few years ago when the 7.62x51 ammo was cheap and deep; not so much now that M2 ball from CMP is cheaper. A lot of rack grade CMP rifles with worn out barrels were converted. I almost did it to my parts Garand, but the surplus price hikes convinced me otherwise.
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

Whirlibird can you offer some more information on building a FAL or point me in the direction of some. That sounds like a really interesting project.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

You might see if you can track down KBarrett and pick his brain too; he posted a series of articles about his Imbel FAL build on one of the previous forums. I think the FAL kits have mostly dried up by now though.

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

A search on gunbroker reveals a good number of FAL kits. They are not as cheap as the AK kits, and a few of them are a bit rough, but they are available.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Yeah, I was looking at retailers. You'll probably be able to find them on Gunbroker for a while. Heck, even a Romy AK kit is going for around $200 these days.

Jered

Post by Jered »

uhhh, pick two?
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

How much are you willing to spend? I know $1600 is out, but is $800 in your range? I would not get hung up on mag prices if the difference is $10, look at the gun you are getting and the price.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.