Handloading warning:

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
Fivetoes

Handloading warning:

Post by Fivetoes »

Do not accept open cans of powder, it doesn't really matter who you get it from, toss it.

This guy was lucky that he didn't think he knew it all and asked some questions.
Erik

Re: Handloading warning:

Post by Erik »

Yeah, I read that too.
After the accident at my club, it was once again strongly suggested to the newer members that if/when we start reloading, to first talk to the more experienced members.

He was lucky, and good thing he asked before going ahead..
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."
John Wayne
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Good grief, lucky somebody wasn't killed. Sad to say, it doesn't just happen with reloading. I'm aware of one incident where persons unknown evidently had to get rid of contaminated deicing fluid, and the only container available was an empty 5 gallon hydraulic fluid (skydrol) container. Then, they left it sit around rather than transporting it for disposal, with the predictable result that eventually it wound up in the back of a maintenance van. Fortunately for all concerned, the mechanic who was called upon to service the airplane using that can was on his toes, discovered what had happened, and reported it immediately, so the airplane never left the ground until it had been purged.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Dedicated_Dad

Post by Dedicated_Dad »

Wow. Wifey/kids and I had a go-round about this just yesterday. I put tylenol in a small bottle that was marked for something else. I made a new label and taped it on - they laughed at me.

I've yelled at them for similar stuff in the past - wife put windex in my water-squirt-bottle - if it wasn't blue, someone could have lost an eye.

I get stupid FAST over mis-labeled containers...

DD
workinwifdakids wrote:MV Gun Counter: "We're like Blackwater, except without the impulse control."
Random Internet Moron wrote: "High Caliber Magazine Clips are only useful for random slaughter of innocent civilians, so they should only be used by the police."
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Yeah, but the bigger problem is that your wife puts substances in containers meant for other things before they are emptied....

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

Netpackrat wrote:Good grief, lucky somebody wasn't killed. Sad to say, it doesn't just happen with reloading. I'm aware of one incident where persons unknown evidently had to get rid of contaminated deicing fluid, and the only container available was an empty 5 gallon hydraulic fluid (skydrol) container. Then, they left it sit around rather than transporting it for disposal, with the predictable result that eventually it wound up in the back of a maintenance van. Fortunately for all concerned, the mechanic who was called upon to service the airplane using that can was on his toes, discovered what had happened, and reported it immediately, so the airplane never left the ground until it had been purged.
*visible cringe*
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL
BobbyK

Post by BobbyK »

Dedicated_Dad wrote:wife put windex in my water-squirt-bottle - if it wasn't blue, someone could have lost an eye.
DD,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't your wife routinely make low-to-mid-grade chemical weapons that she calls "Cleaners?"

Shouldn't HazMat be called if she gets within 50 feet of a source of Windex?

-Bobby
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Well, if you've never had to drain and purge two out of the four hydraulic systems on a B747, trust me. You do not wanna go there. Skydrol is horrible, beyond nasty stuff. As can be attested to by two former co-workers of mine who were up in the gear well cleaning up the mess from a hydraulic leak, when the customer's rep up in the cockpit decided to pressurize the system. The leak hadn't been fixed yet.

Termite

Post by Termite »

Netpackrat wrote:Well, if you've never had to drain and purge two out of the four hydraulic systems on a B747, trust me. You do not wanna go there. Skydrol is horrible, beyond nasty stuff. As can be attested to by two former co-workers of mine who were up in the gear well cleaning up the mess from a hydraulic leak, when the customer's rep up in the cockpit decided to pressurize the system. The leak hadn't been fixed yet.
Ya'll don't have lock-out/tag-out? :shock:
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

Netpackrat wrote:...when the customer's rep up in the cockpit decided to pressurize the system. The leak hadn't been fixed yet.
Lockout - Tagout - Tryout is a good thing.

Regarding Skydrol, there is an urban legend around the Boeing factory about a woman who received burns on her backside. I seems that some of her coworkers were from cultures where one uses the facilities by crouching over a hole in the ground. When a western style toilet is used in this manner, any residue you track in with your feet will be left behind on the toilet seat. Ouch!

If any of you doubt this could actually happen, remind me to tell you the story of the Mad Shitter sometime.
"If at first you don't succeed, that's one data point." XKCD