Ben Shapiro solves the gender pay gap

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
blackeagle603

Re: Ben Shapiro solves the gender pay gap

Post by blackeagle603 »

re: soccer

the women's game even at that level is like watching slo-mo. Even for someone used to watching boys U15 and up premier games here in SoCal
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
randy

Post by randy »

Termite wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:41 pm Have you ever watched a U-15 or U-16 boys FC recruit team play?
Don't know about that (I really don't have a clue on the nuances of Metric Football), but for several years I provide ham radio support to a multi-day regional soccer match event held on Memorial Day weekend. All ages from pee-wee to high school, girls and boys teams.

Monday afternoon, when the HS boys looking for scholarships and trying to impress college scouts played their final rounds, we had more calls for transports for injuries (particularly head injuries, usually from mutual head butting) than the other 2 days combined.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

blackeagle603 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:48 pm re: soccer

the women's game even at that level is like watching slo-mo. Even for someone used to watching boys U15 and up premier games here in SoCal
+1 I would rather watch a random HS game than woman's soccer and I love soccer. Same for BB.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Heh, yeah HS metric football here in San Diego is really bad. Except for a few elite schools its total boom-boom straight ahead rec league type stuff. Most are coached by mediocore club coaches who aren't tied into a good enough club to keep them in enough cash. Lot of better club players/parents pull out of HS ball after seeing the dangerous level of coaching and play -- too much at risk for injury and getting sidelined on their "real" team. Certainly was the case for my son he played HS varisty as a freshmen and then said "no mas, no gracias"
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
BDK

Post by BDK »

Termite, I meant the US woman’s team plays a sloppy game. I doubt that the boys do.
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

I thought the same about the early days of MLS after I turned on a game from Mexico one day on Telemundo, back when I had cable (looooong time ago). Dunno what the MLS level of play is now.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

MiddleAgedKen wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:23 am

I thought the same about the early days of MLS after I turned on a game from Mexico one day on Telemundo, back when I had cable (looooong time ago). Dunno what the MLS level of play is now.
The games I've caught were pretty decent. It isn't Bundesliga or Premier League but good stuff for the most part. The main negative to me is the passing and offense play development is not as crisp as the top leagues, but it is entertaining and thriving and having a home league where players can develop is good.
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

Random thought, but I wonder how much Title IX hurts the development of the men's U.S. soccer game?

College sports are a major 'developmental league' for most American sports. Since Title IX has been interpreted to require equal number of athletic scholarships for men and women, a lot of universities have several sports which have only a women's team, in order to balance out the huge number of male scholarships on the football team. (And you can't get rid of the football team - for a lot of schools, the football team revenues fund the rest of the athletic department. I remember hearing numbers from a few years ago that Alabama football netted $45 million, while total net revenue for the athletic department was $15 million.)

I know here at Texas A&M, soccer, volleyball, and equestrian are scholarship sports only for women. I'm sure other schools have similar structures (possibly minus equestrian. Yay for being a state cow college.)
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
scipioafricanus

Post by scipioafricanus »

Langenator wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:31 pm Random thought, but I wonder how much Title IX hurts the development of the men's U.S. soccer game?

College sports are a major 'developmental league' for most American sports. Since Title IX has been interpreted to require equal number of athletic scholarships for men and women, a lot of universities have several sports which have only a women's team, in order to balance out the huge number of male scholarships on the football team. (And you can't get rid of the football team - for a lot of schools, the football team revenues fund the rest of the athletic department. I remember hearing numbers from a few years ago that Alabama football netted $45 million, while total net revenue for the athletic department was $15 million.)

I know here at Texas A&M, soccer, volleyball, and equestrian are scholarship sports only for women. I'm sure other schools have similar structures (possibly minus equestrian. Yay for being a state cow college.)
Part of it is an American thing. All kids grow up playing soccer because it is "easy;" ever watch a group of 4 year old's play soccer? They just swarm the ball in a roving pack all over the field. Once kids get bigger the find out they are better at other sports and take on those. Most don't stay with soccer.
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

I know there are deeper cultural aspects as well - baseball, football, basketball (and hockey in the snow belt states) all have deeper cultural pull in this country than soccer. Most other countries don't have nearly the variety of team sports that America does. (Basketball in Europe is like soccer in America. Cuba, Venezuela, and a few countries in east Asia play baseball. The U.S. is probably the only country with FOUR different major team sports (with soccer trying to be the fifth. England and parts of their former empire probably come closest, with cricket and rugby in addition to soccer.)

(And for the record, I played city youth league soccer until I got to high school. Wasn't near good enough for the HS team, so I refereed youth league games until I went to college.)
Fortuna Fortis Paratus