Guns save lives statistics

The place to talk about personal defense, preparedness, and survival; both armed and unarmed.
Vonz90

Guns save lives statistics

Post by Vonz90 »

Cobar

Re: Guns save lives statistics

Post by Cobar »

Reloading was required in only 3 incidents. One of those involved killing an escaped lion with a .32 caliber revolver, which was eventually successful after 13 shots.
Now that is something you would not expect. :lol:

It would be interesting to see the data involving all the failures and how they happened. I would imagine the majority of didn't work would have been caught of guard situations.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

13 shots at a lion from a REVOLVER.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Used to be a 32 could kill a man.

I've got grandads top break S&W vest pocket pistol. Might have to dust that off.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

blackeagle603 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:55 pm Used to be a 32 could kill a man.

I've got grandads top break S&W vest pocket pistol. Might have to dust that off.
There is always the factor of compared to what. 30-30 will certainly kill a deer, but there are better options these days and of course 30-30 does not fit bolt actions as well, etc. The package and the market comparisons matter.

That said, I think an 8x19 round that sort of mirrored 9mm Luger would make a lot of sense as a base for a double stack micro/pocket auto. Raise the pressure enough and it could get at least 380 ACP or low 9mm ballistics. Bonus would be if it could shoot 32 Auto for practice. (I say this as the guy whose EDC piece is a 40, but still I think there could be a market for it.)
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

blackeagle603 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:55 pm Used to be a 32 could kill a man.
It still will.

It just might not do it fast enough that he doesn't killl you in response :ugeek:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Termite

Post by Termite »

Vonz90 wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:22 pm That said, I think an 8x19 round that sort of mirrored 9mm Luger would make a lot of sense as a base for a double stack micro/pocket auto. Raise the pressure enough and it could get at least 380 ACP or low 9mm ballistics. Bonus would be if it could shoot 32 Auto for practice.
The problem with that is that cartridge length is a major issue in semi-auto pistols that headspace on the case mouth. It's why .380 doesn't work well in 9x19, or 40 S&W in a 10mm.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Termite wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:56 pm
Vonz90 wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:22 pm That said, I think an 8x19 round that sort of mirrored 9mm Luger would make a lot of sense as a base for a double stack micro/pocket auto. Raise the pressure enough and it could get at least 380 ACP or low 9mm ballistics. Bonus would be if it could shoot 32 Auto for practice.
The problem with that is that cartridge length is a major issue in semi-auto pistols that headspace on the case mouth. It's why .380 doesn't work well in 9x19, or 40 S&W in a 10mm.
True, I did say "bonus if" - because I would not expect it.