West Point degrades itself

A place to talk about all things military, paramilitary, tactical, strategic, and logistical.
Vonz90

West Point degrades itself

Post by Vonz90 »

Weetabix

Re: West Point degrades itself

Post by Weetabix »

Does this not give an incentive to other cadets to cheat? People respond to incentives.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

I discussed the issue of cheating with my GF, who's a professor here at A&M when a bunch of students got caught last semester.

The biggest problem is that online tests make cheating a lot easier, and thus a lot more tempting. It's a lot tougher to cheat when it's you, a pen, and a blank blue book.

My undergrad years were a quarter century ago, and even with blue books, some of the professors had some good anti-cheating methods. One required blue books to be turned in the class before the exam, so they could be marked, and then given back at the exam. Failure to turn in a blue book as specified meant you had to use one provided by the prof, at a grade penalty. Unmarked blue books were not accepted. Another would do things like tell you to start your answers on the second page, or halfway down the first page. Prevents pre-written answers.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

That which gets rewarded gets repeated.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Speaking of USNA as an aside, it has long been known that women and minorities get charged and found guilty of honor offenses at roughly the same rate as white males. They are about twice as likely to not be kicked out. The systems are a bit different (particularly -everything except the punishment is run by the Midshipmen while I believe it is all run by the Administration at WP; other things too).

So, to a degree this is not shocker, but amazingly blatant.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I would assume even if a cadet avoids expulsion, that sort of thing would follow them into the service?
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
randy

Post by randy »

Netpackrat wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:18 am I would assume even if a cadet avoids expulsion, that sort of thing would follow them into the service?
Only through rumor. Nothing in their actual record after commissioning. It might affect their initial branch selection as that happens while still a cadet, so they might not get their first choice (or any of their choices). it might also come up during any background investigation for a security clearance above Secret.

Once on active duty though, pretty much anything detrimental from their cadet days is kept within the Ring Banger family.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

randy wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:42 am Once on active duty though, pretty much anything detrimental from their cadet days is kept within the Ring Banger family.
Which means the WPPA knows all about it. And might do a bit less in the way of the second P.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

randy wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:42 am
Netpackrat wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:18 am I would assume even if a cadet avoids expulsion, that sort of thing would follow them into the service?
Only through rumor. Nothing in their actual record after commissioning. It might affect their initial branch selection as that happens while still a cadet, so they might not get their first choice (or any of their choices). it might also come up during any background investigation for a security clearance above Secret.

Once on active duty though, pretty much anything detrimental from their cadet days is kept within the Ring Banger family.
This is true, but done to keep things even. Nothing from college time flows into the record of OCS or ROTC either.
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

I have no WP experience, but I will say from USNA days that everyone knows who got retained when they should not have and it is not unusual for them to be hated out by other means.

The flip side is that it is not uncommon for people to get booted for very flimsy BS reasons via the honor system. By the nature of the system it is imperfect.