Does not follow...

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
Vonz90

Re: Does not follow...

Post by Vonz90 »

Looking out the back window and there are like a half dozen deer in an arc eating 50 or so yards on front of my blind. For some reason that kind of made me chuckle.
g-man

Post by g-man »

Weetabix wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:34 pm Thoughts on the Hellcat?
I still need to go shoot it. Plans are in the works. Based on dry-firing: it points quickly, indexes well, and the trigger beats the ever-loving hell out of the long-ass pull on the Bodyguard. The Bodyguard was a deeper-concealable gun, but between the nearly flat safety and the trigger pull, I was never confident that I could get it into action with any reasonable speed. Yes, with practice I could likely have gotten faster... but at this point in my life I just need shit to work right out of the box for a while. I’d like to be Jerry Miculek, but ain’t nobody got time for that these days.

Regarding the “Adaptive Grip Texture”: it’s like Velcro in the hand, but isn’t abrasive against the “spare energy portable containers, side-mounted, 2@” while toting it around in a holster on my hip. Tier1 is backed up through Christmas, so I will probably pick up something on Amazon for AIWB in the interim.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Netpackrat wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:42 am Got the lathe bolted down to the concrete in its spot; still need to shim the bases and get it all leveled. Design of the bases is retarded; no drill access from above, so had to position, mark the holes, lift onto pipe rollers, and roll out of the way, just to drill and set anchors. Then roll it back and get it off the rollers. Anchors had to be trimmed to just under the height of the pipe rollers, so I don't have as much protruding thread as I would prefer, but I can make it work. Was a bit of a miracle that all 8 anchors lined up with the holes when I rolled it back into position. At least now I don't have to worry about it getting tipped over. Had a 5.0 earthquake a few nights ago, supposedly an aftershock from our big quake a couple years ago.
So yeah, this ended up being even more of a PITA than I had expected it to be. I spent basically all Sunday night fighting with this and part of last night too, but I finally got the lathe really quite level (yes HTRN, I bought a machine level), at least to the point where there doesn't seem to be any twist present, and any further adjustments can be made with shims between the machine and its chip tray, which is what the manual actually recommends.

What made it a nightmare was the floor wasn't as flat in that space as I thought it was, which screwed me in a couple of ways. First, I had to adjust the bases with varying heights of spacers at each corner, and it took a whole lot of iterations to get it right. Adjustable leveling feet would definitely have been easier, but then I would have wanted to extend the bases out to keep the machine from getting tipped over, and I don't want them protruding out into the space in front of the lathe where I will be standing. I figure my toes will thank me later.

The other way that screwed me was on the length of the anchors. For clearance, as mentioned I had to cut them to just under the height of the 1" pipe rollers I used to move the lathe out of the way and then back into position after I had installed them. This would have been fine, except the headstock end had to be raised enough that there wasn't enough anchor left protruding for the nuts to catch. Luckily, I had only used 3/8" anchors (mostly to increase my chances of all the holes lining up), so I had some wiggle room to make a few special fasteners out of some 1/2" bolts that I had left over from another project.

Would have been a piece of cake to make them on the lathe... But since I don't yet have the power hooked up to run it, this meant I had to resort to drill press fuckery in order to get them made. Which was even more frustrating than usual, given the purpose of the fasteners and the fact that the lathe was just sitting there the whole time. But they turned out relatively well and I only had to scrap one of them. Also some of the tooling I had bought for use with the lathe ended up being useful, like the center drills and a spring loaded tap guide. Luckily I could use the normal nuts for all the anchors at the other base (4 per base, 8 total).

Last edited by Netpackrat on Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Good to hear all the good points, G-Man. I'm a fan of point and click devices. I didn't grow up with a 1911, and lots of safeties seem too small for me.

A coworker's son has one on layaway, so I may get to try one early next year.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Weetabix wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:31 pm Reason number 438 that I hate plumbing:

Youngest daughter bought an old farm house. Unbeatable deal for some sweat equity.

The kitchen floor is rotted out from multiple inept repairs by former residents (which we knew when she bought it), so we pulled out all the cabinets and the offending dishwasher. Turns out some of the plumbing when through the base of the old steel base cabinets. A sawzall was in order. Everything out. Looks good for the floor repair guys to get in.

But then, we hear water running under the floor. I got the tomahawk out of my truck. You do have a hawk in your truck, right? Chopped a hole in the rotten floor, and we see a rather lovely Ozarks creek running merrily down there. At 4PM on Sunday.

Two houses on the well, well house adjacent to her house, and no shut off valve going into her house. Ugh. Had a plumber come in and cut in a shut off for her house so the neighbor could have water.

Turns out the old galvanized pipe coming up into the kitchen had rusted so badly that some of the disturbances with the cabinet flaked off the rust holding the water in. I'm pretty sure if we'd tried, we could have broken it off by hand pretty easily.

I still hate plumbing.
Reason #439

More adventures. We had the plumber run a new line into the house from the well house, connecting where the rusted one was. Now, the toilet, cold to the tub, and the yard hydrant don't work. I think those lines were buried below the 8" crawlspace that my fat ass can't squeeze into. I tried digging down to expose some good pipe that I could tee it back into and plug the pipe in the well house. Went outside for a bit and found... a cut piece of galvanized pipe in the yard. I think they cut the line between the well house and house when installing the new line.

So, it will be PEX to the toilet and tub and figure out the yard hydrant later.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Netpackrat wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:48 pm (yes HTRN, I bought a machine level), at least to the point where there doesn't seem to be any twist present, and any further adjustments can be made with shims between the machine and its chip tray, which is what the manual actually recommends.
It sounds like a typical install actually. Alot of work futzing with stuff.. Did you check the level for calibration? It's really easy to do.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

HTRN wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:05 pm It sounds like a typical install actually. Alot of work futzing with stuff.. Did you check the level for calibration? It's really easy to do.
Yeah I had to adjust the level first.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Weetabix wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:30 pm
Weetabix wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:31 pm Reason number 438 that I hate plumbing:

Youngest daughter bought an old farm house. Unbeatable deal for some sweat equity.

The kitchen floor is rotted out from multiple inept repairs by former residents (which we knew when she bought it), so we pulled out all the cabinets and the offending dishwasher. Turns out some of the plumbing when through the base of the old steel base cabinets. A sawzall was in order. Everything out. Looks good for the floor repair guys to get in.

But then, we hear water running under the floor. I got the tomahawk out of my truck. You do have a hawk in your truck, right? Chopped a hole in the rotten floor, and we see a rather lovely Ozarks creek running merrily down there. At 4PM on Sunday.

Two houses on the well, well house adjacent to her house, and no shut off valve going into her house. Ugh. Had a plumber come in and cut in a shut off for her house so the neighbor could have water.

Turns out the old galvanized pipe coming up into the kitchen had rusted so badly that some of the disturbances with the cabinet flaked off the rust holding the water in. I'm pretty sure if we'd tried, we could have broken it off by hand pretty easily.

I still hate plumbing.
Reason #439

More adventures. We had the plumber run a new line into the house from the well house, connecting where the rusted one was. Now, the toilet, cold to the tub, and the yard hydrant don't work. I think those lines were buried below the 8" crawlspace that my fat ass can't squeeze into. I tried digging down to expose some good pipe that I could tee it back into and plug the pipe in the well house. Went outside for a bit and found... a cut piece of galvanized pipe in the yard. I think they cut the line between the well house and house when installing the new line.

So, it will be PEX to the toilet and tub and figure out the yard hydrant later.
Whenever I think I suck at plumbing I look at some jobs done by some pros and figure I am not so bad.
evan price

Post by evan price »

I spent four hours today researching, compiling data and writing a proposal to purchase $150k worth of guns.
Now comes the waiting.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Sitting in the deer blind looking at a whole lot of nothing. Droppped a little buck on opening day and haven't seen anything since (while hunting)

I love it but it is frustrating.
Last edited by Vonz90 on Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.