Rifle scopes?

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
Sindianip

Rifle scopes?

Post by Sindianip »

I am considering an OTC rifle hunt in CO this year. It would be my first rifle hunt for elk, we have done archery and muzzleloader the last 5 years.
I have a rem 700 30.06 topped with a late 90s flip over mount tasco golden antler scope.
My questions are:
- is it worth upgrading to a new scope? How much better are today's scopes then my current?
-any recommendations on brands? I would only be comfortable shooting out to 300 yds or so and want to get bad credit loans online for it.
Thanks for any advice!
Last edited by Sindianip on Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Netpackrat

Re: Rifle scopes?

Post by Netpackrat »

I don't think Tasco has ever been particularly well thought of as far as optics are concerned. Were it mine, I would be looking to upgrade it to a decent quality variable (Leupold, Nikon, Vortex, etc) in a more standard type of mounting system.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
BDK

Post by BDK »

Optics improve, dramatically, from year to year.
Jered

Post by Jered »

Get rid of that scope and put literally anything else on there.

I've used a friend's Tasco scope. Even my Bushnell Banner that's not exactly a high end scope was better than the Tasco.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I had a 90's Tasco as my first scope. Everything else I've ever bought - even modern cheapies - has been better. Newer really is better.

Hard to go wrong with the brands mentioned above. I've read and heard that Primary Arms are pretty good on a budget, but I have no hands on experience with them.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

It would help if op gave us a budget for recommendations - I doubt he wants to spend 1500 dollars on a nightforce...

In the under a hundred category, the Bushnell Banner 3-9 is probably the best option..
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Jered

Post by Jered »

I put a Bushnell Banner on my 10/22. For the money, it's a great scope. The one I got was marked as made in Korea, too.

I also just put a Tract Toric on my Howa 1500 in 6.5 CM.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

Try Meopta, they are the supplier of the Ziess Conquest but at a much better price point.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
Precision

Post by Precision »

as mentioned by many, that very old tasco is well old and very poor quality glass.

Vortex, Swampfox Optics, Sun optics, Meopta are all MUCH better than what you have and have budget friendly options. I would look into the LVPO options A low power variable in 1-8 or 1-10 power would give you the best of both worlds if you are hunting at under say 500 yards. True 1x for close stalk hunting and very usable distance for shots up to the max range you are likely capable of shooting.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/