Does not follow...

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
Netpackrat

Re: Does not follow...

Post by Netpackrat »

HTRN wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:40 pm Net, if its something straightforward, Dillon mught have replacement parts for your tumbler.
They haven't had replacement motors for the CV-500 for years. They will upgrade it to the CV-750 motor for $105 plus return shipping, but I have to ship it to them. A new CV-750 is $150 (plus shipping). I may see if I can get them to just ship me the motor.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Yeah they won't just ship me the parts. Not sure if it is going to be worth bothering with now.

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Have you considered seeing if the motor is available from the likes of Mcmaster or Manhattan Supply Company? I would put money on something suitable being available.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

HTRN wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:04 pm Have you considered seeing if the motor is available from the likes of Mcmaster or Manhattan Supply Company? I would put money on something suitable being available.
I am going to pursue this eventually. UPS and USPS both wanted a minimum of about $50 to ship the unit to Dillon, so that plus the cost of the upgrade ($105) exceeds the cost of a new 750 before shipping. Then I found the 750 on sale at Scheel's for $120 plus $20 shipping, so kind of a no brainer there.

If I can find a standard motor that will work, I can potentially double my capacity without having to buy and store a CV-2001 and its larger brass separator. I don't usually need that much capacity anyway, and brass cleans faster in a tumbler that is close to full.

I kind of want to be mad at Dillon but the CV-500 did last for 20 years, so....

Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Yeah the motor research so far is not looking good. A bunch of people have evidently been down the same path and not found anything that is like a bolt in replacement. Supposedly there were several variations depending on when a CV-500 was built, and the motors were built for Dillon rather than being a standard unit. And the company that made them offshored their production and didn't make them anymore, which is what caused Dillon to put the motor from the larger unit in and call it a 750.

Took it apart to get a better look at the motor and so far haven't really found anything online. The thing to do might be to wait until the new machine arrives, and see if a name/model number on its motor can be seen without disassembly. Or put it back together, and hang onto it until I can take it down south in luggage sometime and ship from outside AK.

Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

So, I didn't notice it at the time and it didn't get much publicity due to the whole Covid thing, but as near as I can tell, the whole ITAR regulatory scheme that was preventing me from building rifle stocks for sale seems to have changed as of March 9. There was a lawsuit by some states and a preliminary injunction against part of the rule, but that appears to only apply to distribution of files for 3d printing of firearms. Looks like the rest of it went into effect, removing manufacture of regular firearms parts (i.e. not specifically designed for machine guns, silencers, etc) from the US Munitions List, and eliminating the requirement to register with the state department at a cost of thousands per year. I knew they were working on that, but hadn't realized it became a thing. 8^)

I need to get my shit back together with regard to fabrication and tooling.

Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Update on the sand piper nest. They abandoned it after 2 weeks or so and left the eggs. The red tailed hawj that hangs out here scared them off and or might have eaten one of them.

Bummer but life.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

New favorite term for chaz or whaterver theyre calling it now...

Soyviet Union. :lol:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
TheArmsman

Post by TheArmsman »

Heard a new term for ammo:

Looter Pills.
When death is inevitable, style counts.

Survival trumps programming.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

So the new brass tumbler showed up today, and the motor is clearly marked with the model number and new manufacturer's name. It doesn't seem to come up anywhere in a search, so I am assuming it is another bespoke motor that is manufactured for Dillon. The two tumblers definitely use the same molded parts, even though the CV-750's bowl support springs mount to the base differently; it looks like they had to raise the height of the bowl to make room for the new motor, which is considerably larger than the old one (which makes sense if it is the same motor the 2001 uses). Otherwise if I can come up with a compatible motor, I should be able to easily fix the old one myself, so I am going to hang onto it for now. If the 750 dies I will probably replace it with a cheaper tumbler rather than another Dillon next time.

The new one is a little quieter, so at least there is that.