Why Italy so hard

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
scipioafricanus

Re: Why Italy so hard

Post by scipioafricanus »

Vonz90 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:00 am Interesting factoid about the demographics of Italy's fatalities. Only 4% have been under the age of 60. They have actually had more over the age of 90 than under 60.
Also if you noticed the video from Sky News about a tour through an Italian hospital, all the people with the bubble helmets are male.

Possible demographic link there?
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka
Termite

Post by Termite »

"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

Very interesting. Quoting the original:
What that means is that if you die in an Italian hospital of the measles (that you were never inoculated for), but the autopsy shows the Wuhan Virus, you get entered as a COVID-19 death.

You can be asymptomatic for COVID-19, and die of a heart attack because you ate nothing but baked brie for 58 years, and it's a coronavirus death.

Didn't get a pneumonia shot, and (bloody surprise!) die of pneumonia, but they find coronavirus? It's a coronavirus death.
That reminds me a lot of Cathy Young's excellent reporting (she ended up getting some things wrong but she did a lot of digging) on HIV/AIDS in the 1990s (btw, remember when AIDS was going to "inevitably" explode into the heterosexual population and kill us all?). In much of sub-Saharan Africa anyone who died in hospital of practically anything had "le slim" or "le SIDA" (AIDS) recorded on the death certificate.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

Interestingly, it looks like Spain might end up with a higher death rate than Italy when all is said and done. At 19 days after the identification of the 100th case, Italy's death rate was 2 per 100,000 population. Spain's was 3 - 50% higher than Italy.

The U.S. rate is 0.2.

https://mises.org/wire/uss-covid-19-dea ... -and-spain

No word on how Spain compares to Italy in terms of risk factors mentioned here - age distribution in the population, prevalence of smoking (my recollection from my time in Afghanistan was that pretty much all the Euros smoked like chimneys, except the Brits), and anti-vax idiocy level.

It was also pointed out that number of ICU beds is a critical factor = once those get filled up, the lethality rate rises dramatically.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
Jered

Post by Jered »

Langenator wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:49 pm No word on how Spain compares to Italy in terms of risk factors mentioned here - age distribution in the population, prevalence of smoking (my recollection from my time in Afghanistan was that pretty much all the Euros smoked like chimneys, except the Brits), and anti-vax idiocy level.
Chinese people smoke like chimneys and they have a lot of smoke. Both of those things are bad for lung function and smoking it bad for your immune system.

Also, I saw a post on Powerline where someone mentioned the Diamond Princess (the quarantined plague ship) 20% of people on that boat got infected and cruise ships are basically petri dishes for people.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

Jered wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:39 am
Langenator wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:49 pm No word on how Spain compares to Italy in terms of risk factors mentioned here - age distribution in the population, prevalence of smoking (my recollection from my time in Afghanistan was that pretty much all the Euros smoked like chimneys, except the Brits), and anti-vax idiocy level.
Chinese people smoke like chimneys and they have a lot of smoke. Both of those things are bad for lung function and smoking it bad for your immune system.

Also, I saw a post on Powerline where someone mentioned the Diamond Princess (the quarantined plague ship) 20% of people on that boat got infected and cruise ships are basically petri dishes for people.
Cruise passengers tend to skew older than the general population, as well.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Langenator wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:49 pmThe U.S. rate is 0.2.
Currently, the mortality rate in the US is 1.5%, according to worldometers.info. numbers (85k infected, 1300 deaths)
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Termite

Post by Termite »

Orleans and Jefferson parishes(counties) are hot beds of the Kung Flu outbreak; because Mardi Gras.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

HTRN wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:40 am
Langenator wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:49 pmThe U.S. rate is 0.2.
Currently, the mortality rate in the US is 1.5%, according to worldometers.info. numbers (85k infected, 1300 deaths)
Measuring different things. The rate quoted in the Mises article is deaths per 100,000 overall population, not (tested and known) infected.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus