Curio & Relic License circle of death.

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
toad

Re: Curio & Relic License circle of death.

Post by toad »

All I know is what the Feds told me when I started checking out the requirements. The big problem with the AK-47 accuracy is the ammunition as much as anything.. The AK Operator's Union says you need to re-sight every time you get an Easter Block box of ammo 'cause the powder various so much in performance. If you spend the money for the brass cased stuff and polish the extractor so it doesn't cut the rim it does better. Lapua has been mentioned. If you are shooting a 100 meters minute of paint can is probably good enough. Hand loading would probably give better results but I am in a 500 Square foot apartment and my concentration is too shot to reload. I've thought about getting a Lee breach lock hand loader that I could keep in a shoe box but that still leave purchasing and storing the powder and bullet supply.. I think I saw that Ian McCollum of "Forgotten Weapons" running a mud test on the AR. Then there was the every famous video test of stuffing a Twinkie into the ejection port of an AK. I don't know , I'm hoping they'll have a vaccine ready to go by the end of April and then get my behind out this apartment by the end of May.
scipioafricanus

Post by scipioafricanus »

toad wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:47 pm All I know is what the Feds told me when I started checking out the requirements. The big problem with the AK-47 accuracy is the ammunition as much as anything.. The AK Operator's Union says you need to re-sight every time you get an Easter Block box of ammo 'cause the powder various so much in performance. If you spend the money for the brass cased stuff and polish the extractor so it doesn't cut the rim it does better. Lapua has been mentioned. If you are shooting a 100 meters minute of paint can is probably good enough. Hand loading would probably give better results but I am in a 500 Square foot apartment and my concentration is too shot to reload. I've thought about getting a Lee breach lock hand loader that I could keep in a shoe box but that still leave purchasing and storing the powder and bullet supply.. I think I saw that Ian McCollum of "Forgotten Weapons" running a mud test on the AR. Then there was the every famous video test of stuffing a Twinkie into the ejection port of an AK. I don't know , I'm hoping they'll have a vaccine ready to go by the end of April and then get my behind out this apartment by the end of May.
AR test: https://youtu.be/j3sOZV8dfHA

AK with a Samich: https://youtu.be/1xnb8w2zHS4
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka
AggieWalt

Post by AggieWalt »

I've used hornady steel case sst with good results in a 1.5mm build and American barrel so that get a around the brass case issue but it's a bit more expensive that combloc steel.
Apathy rules with an iron fist so we must strike back with steel resolve.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Netpackrat wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:58 amGun Jesus plus Karl.
I dont know why, but this phrasing strikes me as funny
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
scipioafricanus

Post by scipioafricanus »

HTRN wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:42 pm
Some have started to refer to them as Gun Jesus and Gun Lucifer.
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

scipioafricanus wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:45 pm Some have started to refer to them as Gun Jesus and Gun Lucifer.
I think that's just people who have had to run the Kasarda Drill at a match.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Jered

Post by Jered »

evan price wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:25 am
Jered wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:37 am You have to get a hunting license to get a C&R?

That doesn't sound right. It's been a couple of years since my last renewal, but all I did was fill out the application and pay my ducats.
I know of no federal requirement to have a hunting license to get a c&r.
Is this a Texas thing?

Finger print card.
Letter to CLEO.
Check.
Application.

That's it.
I don't think you have to do a fingerprint card. That sounds more like for a Form 1 or Form 4.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
toad

Post by toad »

I'm trying to remember where I saw a comparison between and Armorer's kit for the AR-15 for about $100.00 and the Armorer's kit for the AK-47. I think the later was the but stock kit, a nail, and a brick ? :lol:
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

That's the field repair kit. I can assure you that the tools I need to build an AK are far more extensive than those I need to build an AR. In the time I have spent so far just fitting the selector to the receiver of my latest, I probably could have assembled a complete AR.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

scipioafricanus wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:45 pm
HTRN wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:42 pm
Some have started to refer to them as Gun Jesus and Gun Lucifer.
No, its more like a real life example of "and zoidberg" trope. :ugeek: :mrgreen:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt