The price of all this crap

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
Vonz90

The price of all this crap

Post by Vonz90 »

https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/ ... omment.php

162,000 people have died in the US in the last three weeks. 150 of those died of COVID-19. Can we get some perspective please.
toad

Re: The price of all this crap

Post by toad »

I've been wondering if UPS is making firearm and ammo deliveries ?
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

The last of my patience for assholes who are trying to downplay the severity of this died with my uncle a couple days ago. But since you asked for perspective, COVID-19 is only just getting started here, and the growth of such things is according to an exponential function. If we don't get a handle on it Right Fucking Now, a lot more people are going to die who should not have to.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
toad

Post by toad »

I was going to switch to another bank for my Social Security Direct Deposit 'cause Direct Express really sucks for me, they are locked into G-Mail. However Soc. Sec. had a rule you had show up in person at the local Soc. Sec. office with I.D. , account number, routing number, and first born child. I tried to get in contact with them to see with the Corona Virus we could do it online.....the sound of crickets.
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Netpackrat wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:00 am The last of my patience for assholes who are trying to downplay the severity of this died with my uncle a couple days ago. But since you asked for perspective, COVID-19 is only just getting started here, and the growth of such things is according to an exponential function. If we don't get a handle on it Right Fucking Now, a lot more people are going to die who should not have to.
My condolences to your uncle.

I am not saying this is not serious, but one can over react to serious things as well. There is a cost to what we are doing, a cost that was also include lives. Many of the things we are doing are good and worthwhile, while others have tremendous cost for marginal benefit. BTW, some of those costs will also end up in people being dead.

There is no reason to ever NOT do a cost/benefit analysis. The more serious the situation, the more important it is.

Also, keep in mind that point of all of this isolation is to "flatten the curve", but the area under the curve stays the same, in other words the same number of people will get it either way. There is value in doing that, but it is not infinitely valuable.
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Vonz90 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:38 am150 of those died of COVID-19.
Try 288. The death count has been doubling every 4 days.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

HTRN wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:56 pm
Vonz90 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:38 am150 of those died of COVID-19.
Try 288. The death count has been doubling every 4 days.
That is how exponential work (until the inflection). It is how the regular flu works too for instance.

Again, my point is not to minimize the issue or say it is not serious, but perspective is needed too.
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/20/opin ... ncing.html

Just to point out, there are experts saying the same thing I am (obviously others are saying other things, as always.)
randy

Post by randy »

Vonz90 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:24 pm https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/20/opin ... ncing.html

Just to point out, there are experts saying the same thing I am (obviously others are saying other things, as always.)
I agree there is probably overkill on the responses. The problem is identifying what is overkill and what is necessary now, not afterwards when everything is tabulated. There's also the possibility that a little overkill now will save lives and decrease the economic effects down the line.

One of the advantages of Federalism is that each state tailors it's response to it's local environment (which includes the political environment. Sates run by statist thugs are going to jump on the opportunity to go full .Gov control in order to not let a crisis go to waste). Afterwards we can look at the various state responses and see what worked and what didn't. The idiots whining that Trump is letting a lot of the burden fall on the Governors don't understand that this is a design feature, not a bug.

The credibility of the linked opinion piece suffers greatly IMHO as he seems to take the CHICOM numbers at face value and ignores the fact that they have been lying about this from day one, and there's evidence that their "no new cases" announcements the past few days might have been massaged a wee bit by the Publicity Department of the Central Committee. Personally, as a gut reaction, I figure adding a zero to the end of any number of cases or deaths to the official PRC numbers would not be too far off. It must have gotten really bad for the CHICOM leadership to admit as much as they have.

He has a point about the possibility of a more measured response, but we won't really know until afterwards.

A phrase I've heard from the local Public Health types is that "in the early stages of a pandemic, we are Chicken Little fear mongers, in the last stages of a pandemic we didn't do enough early enough". They just can't win.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".