Whatcha reading redux.

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
Termite

Re: Whatcha reading redux.

Post by Termite »

Just finished this one:

Over and Back: A Daring Band of American Pilots Flying North to South Into Mexico! The Untold True Stories of Smuggling Electronic Contraband Into Mexico.

Wild Bill Callahan

Entertaining book, even though the writer isn't the most eloquent.

Contacted the author; our EAA chapter is going to try to get him to be the featured speaker at a Fly In.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

Wildfire by Kurt Schlichter - near future semi-distopian fiction

Directorate S by Stephen Coll - the CIA and ISI in Afghanistan, 2001-present
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
Jered

Post by Jered »

Langenator wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:00 pm Wildfire by Kurt Schlichter - near future semi-distopian fiction
Wait until you get to Collapse.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Captain Wheelgun

Post by Captain Wheelgun »

‘Through Fiery Trials’ by David Weber, the newest book in the ‘Safehold’ series.
"What is this, the Congress Avenue Independence Day Parade?" - Capt. Karl von Stahlberg, RTN
Republic of Texas Navy Archives
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

Just finished Crimson Star by Peter Nealan and Grunt by Mary Roach.

Attempting to slog my way through Shadow of Victory, David Weber's most recent Honorverse offering. And it is a slog. Might backburner it and find something else in fiction.

Debating which non-fiction from the stack to start next. I've got Assad or We Burn the Country, Grant's memoirs, 12 Rules for Life, The Auschwitz Volunteer, Liberty's Blueprint, and a 3 volume history of the Crusades.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Tom Clancy's Executive Orders is a looooooong book. It's like he got paid by the pound or something. That said, I'm enjoying it.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Book of Isaiah - lots of messianic prophesy but stuck in the middle of even more "you are all doomed" prophesy. Yeah, do not piss off the Lord.

Not a happy book, but I recommend it none the less.
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

Isaiah is my favorite of the Prophetic Books. Currently reading 2 Samuel and Jeremiah.

Also Conquest's The Great Terror, Maupassant's A Parisian Affair and Other Stories, and SLA Marshall's Ambush and Bird (bound in a single volume).

Reading the latter because a good friend and I have been playing a new boardgame called Front Toward Enemy. It's low-level tactics (units are fire teams, support weapons such as M60s or RPDs and crew, and single-man counters such as leaders, FOs, etc.) in Vietnam, and I'm going through some of the bibliographic references from the rules to better understand the designer's intentions.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

Falling Into Battle by Andrew Wareham. Historical fiction, 4 newly minted RN at the start of WWI.

Debunking Howard Zinn by Mary Grabar.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus