Worshiping St. Browning

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
Netpackrat

Re: Worshiping St. Browning

Post by Netpackrat »

Found on another forum, where it had been stolen from yet another and posted:
Leaving aside the tragedy of the two parishioners lost, the Texas incident provided “wins” for almost every group.

Starting big picture with government, Texas politicians felt pretty smart for having passed legislation allowing an armed defense that clearly averted worse tragedy here. Trump likes it because it is consistent with his view on guns, and is supported by his base. Republicans like it because they believe guns are good. Democrats like it because they believe guns are bad. Even Joe Biden, not our brightest thinker, remembers how he was “for shotguns” before the Beretta 1301, and a dedicated sub forum here, made them cool again.

Old shooters love it, because the good guy prevailed using a modified Weaver, showing how the Weaver is a “fighting stance,” and mind set trumps fancy shooting skills every time. They excuse Mr Wilson not having a proper caliber, .45, and a proper pistol, a 1911, but no doubt are setting up a Go Fund Me to solve the 1911 oversight.

Red dot shooters like it, because they know the shoot was at the limit of iron sights, and if it was just three pews further, a red dot would have been necessary to save the day. Does get them thinking about the proper distance for a red dot zero, and BUIS, given the piss poor reliability of optics — it would really suck to draw your gun to save the day and have no dot. No doubt, the Modern Samurai will cover all this in an upcoming class.

USPSA shooters love it, because even though the draw doesn’t matter much in USPSA, their skills shooting PCC and Open guns would have come in darn handy that day. Plus, that first shotgun blast was pretty close to the beep from a Pocket Pro II with a fresh battery. IDPA hasn’t been this excited since the Kenya intervention by an IDPA shooter there. The good guy, Mr Wilson, had a proper IDPA vest, and no doubt this scenario will be done as a stage at the next indoor IDPA Nationals. Even the hero had the right IDPA name — “Wilson.”

Technical Timmies are in heaven. Poor guy got himself killed because he didn’t have even a dark pin draw. A turbo draw from the hero might have gotten the bad guy with no good guy fatalities. If only there was an appendix holster on the security team, a draw from sitting would be cake (of course no sitting reholstering unless SCD equipped). There are probably a half dozen drills of the week possible from this event.

Ammo makers like it, because sales of .357 Sig will likely double, from the 2019 weekly average of 18 boxes of 20 cartridges, all the way to 36 boxes, at least for a few weeks. Sig USA is thrilled, because the last time anyone said anything positive about the P229 — well, it has been so long, not even Sig can remember. Also how nice for Sig to be in the news for their product dropping the bad guy instead of being dropped by the good guy, and then shooting the good guy.

Gun forum owners love it, because it has spawned pages of new discussion, keeping things active until the Glock 44 starts shipping and we can discuss what sights regulate and what rimfire ammo has the fewest misfires.

Evangelicals love it because it proves people still go to church, and church is important enough to shoot up. It probably helps male attendance, as guys that would go to the range on Sunday now kit up and head to church hoping to see the elephant. It also reinforces why the ladies need to look their best at church, since they can end up on national TV when least expected.

Mexico loves it, because it shows crazy stuff happens places other than Mexico. Not even a suggestion a wall would have prevented this event. Muslims appear to have dodged a bullet with this event. Even the FBI looks like they didn’t miss preventing this — unlike that darn last Texas thing or two.

So, as they say, success has many parents, and only failure is an orphan. I hope Mr Wilson drinks, because he won’t be buying a drink for the rest of his days on earth.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Cybrludite

Post by Cybrludite »

Oddly for me, I was at church myself that day here in Louisiana. (Friend was getting dunked after the service, and I was along to provide moral support) Watching the video, I'm not sure if I'd have gotten my sidearm into play before it was over because my priority would have been getting between my friend & the shooter, and the vest of my suit had slipped over the butt of my gun during the drive across the Lake. Not sure if anyone else was carrying there besides the uniformed rent-a-deputy in the lobby. It being the New Orleans area, I'm pretty sure I wasn't the only one. On the other hand, it's one of those modern warm-fuzzy megachurches...
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

Perp identified as poster child for involuntary psychiatric commitment: https://www.foxnews.com/us/texas-church ... s-minister
The Texas Department of Public Safety on Monday identified the attacker as 43-year-old Keith Thomas Kinnunen.
Ironically, he could probably have done more damage with his favorite firestarter kit than the scattergun
Court records obtained by FOX4 showed that the 43-year-old was arrested in 2009 for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and in 2013 for theft of property. In another arrest in 2011 in Oklahoma, Kinnunen faced arson charges when he was arrested after purchasing "lamp oil and tampons" then setting them on fire in a cotton field, according to documents obtained by FOX4.

At the time of his arrest in Oklahoma, a family member told police that Kinnunen also “soaked a football in lamp oil, then lit it on fire and played ‘fire football.’”
Yeah, a real productive member of society.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Brandon Herrara, aka "the AK guy" on youtube, just did a video pertaining to this, hos bi monthly "gun meme review"

Apparently, our boomer hero, Jack Wilson, has become a meme - eveything from jokes about singlehandly saving the 357 Sig from the catridge graveyard, to Chuck Norris losing a bet and having to shave his beard, to somebody actually rewriting "big iron" and actually recording audio for it
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
scipioafricanus

Post by scipioafricanus »

Some of the meme's are really good.
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka
toad

Post by toad »

I'm waiting for the NY Transit Police Stop, with a half dozen rounds to the pelvis and groin. It would be nice if it was done with folding stock AK-47 just to piss off the anti-self defense crowd.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

toad wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:20 am I'm waiting for the NY Transit Police Stop,
There hasn't been a transit police force in 25 years - they got folded into the NYPD in 1995 .
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Apparently, our boomer hero, Jack Wilson, has become a meme - eveything from jokes about singlehandly saving the 357 Sig from the catridge graveyard,
Heh, I'm hoping the next guy uses a .400 Corbon for the same reason.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

He should have used a 10mil, the jokes about scooping the perp up into a sandwich bag would have been endless..

Gunnuts

Post by Gunnuts »

C'mon, 10mm....snack bag. ;)