This is not 1979 and Carter is not President

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
D5CAV

This is not 1979 and Carter is not President

Post by D5CAV »

I guess the Iranian revolutionary guard (of which Suliemani was a participant), thought they could relive the glory days of 1979 when us.gov was humiliated for 444 days.

This was written about 12 hours before one of Iran's top generals was killed at Baghdad Airport. Spot on: https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/ ... mmy-carter
Iran has just made a tragic mistake. When Iranian proxies directly attacked the U.S. embassy in Baghdad on Tuesday, it sent shockwaves across the entire planet. Of course it immediately reminded many of us of the Iranian hostage crisis, and that episode turned out great for the Iranians. In November 1979, a group of Iranian militants stormed the U.S. embassy in Tehran, and they took 52 American citizens hostage. For the next 444 days, the United States was absolutely humiliated by the Iranians. President Jimmy Carter looked like a pathetic weakling in the eyes of the rest of the world, and his inability to get the hostages back helped to pave the way for the election of Ronald Reagan in 1980.
But Carter is no longer POTUS
But anyone that knows Trump understands that he never backs down.

Throughout his life, he has had a personal rule that when someone hits him, he hits back even harder.

And even though Iran is attempting to claim that they had nothing to do with the embassy attack, everyone knows that their proxies never do anything like this without permission from Tehran, and President Trump is promising that the Iranians “will be held fully responsible”…
Yeah, when Iran protests that they had nothing to do with the embassy attacks, Trump can say, "So you claim it wasn't General Suliemani at Baghdad airport?": https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/ ... e-targeted

This is going to get real very fast!
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
D5CAV

Re: This is not 1979 and Carter is not President

Post by D5CAV »

Ace of Spades has the best comedic commentary on this, as usual: http://acecomments.mu.nu/?post=385115

My favorite
Not sure who #Soleimani was, but based on Dems' Twitter TLs, he was gonna be their unity candidate at Dem Convention.
Sorry for your loss, guys.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
scipioafricanus

Post by scipioafricanus »

Good thing Obama gave them pallets full of money.
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka
Gunnuts

Post by Gunnuts »

randy

Post by randy »

As long as we're doing nostalgia

https://youtu.be/inQiIkz7J5Y
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

scipioafricanus wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:33 am Good thing Obama gave them pallets full of money.
So they can afford a great big honkin' state funeral for Soleimani.
As any Chinese person will tell you, firecrackers are an important part of any funeral. The Mullahs should thank Trump for helping make Soleimani's send-off such an explosive success .
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

They probably are thanking Trump quietly to themselves. Now the Ayatollah really is the supreme leader again in more than just name.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

Netpackrat wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:23 am They probably are thanking Trump quietly to themselves. Now the Ayatollah really is the supreme leader again in more than just name.
Yeah, that was my take.

A European acquaintance was panicking about impending WW3. I told him, "So this guy travels around war zones in the middle east for 20 years and we just happen to get the intelligence on which flight he is arriving in Baghdad? You don't think someone in Tehran dropped a dime on him?"

The response looked a lot like Rommel's funeral by the 3rd Reich. They were happy to bury him.