Ye Olde Rifle Picture Thread

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Langenator

Re: Ye Olde Rifle Picture Thread

Post by Langenator »

If I were to paint the black parts, it would either be white, for the Hello Kitty look, or lavender. Maybe a pink chrome metallic shiny...
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
Durham68

Post by Durham68 »

Langenator wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:19 pm If I were to paint the black parts, it would either be white, for the Hello Kitty look, or lavender. Maybe a pink chrome metallic shiny...
I’ve got a set of the sand colored Magpul furniture that needs to be dyed. Some of the blues and purples are pretty tempting.
"Unattended children will be given an espresso and a puppy"
Durham68

Post by Durham68 »

Just traded for this today. My favorite shop started having lower receivers made with their logo and manufacturing “others”. Bought my first receivers from the owner when he was operating out of his living room. Seemed only fitting to own one. Doesn’t break my heart to have a way around coughing up the money for a stamp.
6626FEDF-1B53-43B0-BED5-3B91240DEF60.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Unattended children will be given an espresso and a puppy"
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

Yesterday was budget AR day for me at the range.

Both rifles are built with PSA kits on TN Arms lowers. Not including the rear irons and the red dot, both cost lest than $325. (If built with the PSA kit parts, which the pink one obviously wasn't.)

Pink rifle is a PSA 16" carbine length Freedom rifle kit, with a Midwest Industries fixed rear sight. I replaced the PSA stock and grip with the Exos Defense stock and the grip that came with it (I won them off a prize table years ago - a gift certificate was taped to the box and covered up the sticker that told you the stuff inside was pink.) and the forearm grip with a MagPul to complete the pink rifle. I also replaced the standard carbine buffer with an H2.

The FDE rifle is a PSA mid-length blem kit, all stock PSA parts except the anti-walk pins. Rear sight came out of my parts box, GI type.

Both rifles functioned just fine. Zeroing was a bit of a challenge, because the range owner is rebuilding the dedicated rifle lane, so no rifle type benches were available. But it got done.

The spread on the dot I think is mainly due to the fact that the dot covered the who bullseye at 25m. Interestingly, the carbine's slightly shorter sight radius didn't seem to comprise the group size compared to the middy.

Both rifles functioned just fine burning through a 30 round magazine doing failure to stop drills.

I've got 2 more TN Arms lowers still naked. Not sure what I'm going to build on them.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Finally finished setting up the 7600 in .35 Whelen I bought a couple months back... I went full Fudd on this rifle. I removed the wood and installed factory plastic furniture because it was by far the easiest way to solve a couple of problems (loose wood forend and no recoil pad, just the hard plastic factory butt plate). The new stock included a super absorbent recoil pad. Then I removed the barrel band sling mount and installed one that attaches to the forend screw, so the barrel is completely free floated. Had to drill the new stock for a sling mount, and installed a Brownell's Latigo Sling in matte black.

Installed NOS Redfield scope base and low rings courtesy of Numrich, then mounted what was very likely the world's last remaining NIB 3-9X Redfield Widefield Illuminator scope (which is not actually an "illuminated" scope as we know them today). Removed the iron sights and installed plug screws in the mounting holes. One of the screws for the front sight sheared off as I was trying to drift the blade out of the base (screw head was under the blade), but it backed right out of its hole as soon as I got on it with a left handed drill. I was also able to get a spare factory magazine from Numrich, and my LGS had a set of flip up scope covers, which Butler Creek still offers for the Widefields.

Need to get some .35 Whelen ammo and zero, but I will probably wait for warmer weather to do that.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
randy

Post by randy »

Nice!
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Precision

Post by Precision »

ImageShe was mine for a little while, but only as a T&E.
shot more than one sub 0.200" groups at 100 yards and I shot one 3 shot group at 8". Shooter / wind / who knows what opened up the 5 shot group ALOT. :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

Nice!
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
Frankingun

Post by Frankingun »

9B2C51D0-2E04-4B8B-87E0-379ABA085EAB.jpeg
I made, er, assembuilt it myself.
Buy ammunition and magazines.

You'll shoot your eye out!

Another blog.
Frankingun

Post by Frankingun »

Is AK. Is shoots. Actually a WASR-10. Cat not included.
Buy ammunition and magazines.

You'll shoot your eye out!

Another blog.