Destruction of Liberty

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
D5CAV

Destruction of Liberty

Post by D5CAV »

At best, the US was limited government until 1913.

Good read: https://www.fff.org/explore-freedom/art ... n-liberty/
It is not a coincidence that for the first 125 years of American life, there was no income tax, IRS, Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, farm subsidies, education grants, drug laws, central planning, economic regulation, public schooling, Federal Reserve, or other parts of what can also be labeled the “paternalistic state.” Our American ancestors understood that those things violate the principles of liberty.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Precision

Re: Destruction of Liberty

Post by Precision »

Liberty is not safe.
The further we get away from the land / nature, the more we crave the illusion of safety. Chasing that illusion is the death of liberty. It comes in many forms, Marxism, feminine voting tendencies (notice I did not say giving women the right to vote). (Many who in theory have a pair vote in an efeminite manner.)
I am willing to be happily surprised, but I think this train has at best crested the hill and at worst, the hill is actually a cliff. I just think the car we are on has not noticed the altitude change all that much yet.
Trump and his presidency are either a fragile bridge to the other side of the cliff, or a dead cat bounce. Time and our efforts will show us the truth of the matter.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

If a conservative constitutionalist is not elected in 2024, I'm afraid Trump is just a dead cat bounce.
Except for the federal judges, everything else can be undone by a communist party President within two years.
A golden weekend amid the slide to serfdom.
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
Precision

Post by Precision »

Windy Wilson wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:25 am If a conservative constitutionalist is not elected in 2024, I'm afraid Trump is just a dead cat bounce.
Except for the federal judges, everything else can be undone by a communist party President within two years.
A golden weekend amid the slide to serfdom.
Mark Levin for President 2024?
As if he would take the thankless job even if he could get elected.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
randy

Post by randy »

As I've stated before, the problem with our system is that the people who want the job are usually the last people we want to have the job.

And no I don't have any solution, other than our system sucks less than the rest of the world.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

randy wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:44 pm As I've stated before, the problem with our system is that the people who want the job are usually the last people we want to have the job.

And no I don't have any solution, other than our system sucks less than the rest of the world.
Right on both counts.
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Windy Wilson wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:25 am If a conservative constitutionalist is not elected in 2024, I'm afraid Trump is just a dead cat bounce.
Trump got elected, because Hillary was hated.
Reagan got elected because Carter was a gutless fuckup.

The people who actually elect presidents in this country, not the right or the left, but the ill informed 60% of voters in the center, the socalled "mushy middle" are who gets to decide who sits in the big chair.
Trump got elected, because he was tall, outspoken, well known, and a 7 th dan blackbelt in vebal kungfu. Add in that "the left cant meme", and you can see how he won, and how the current dnc field are a lost cause.

But after that? Middle of the road candidate, if only in appearances. Probably the better speaker, and almost certainly not a manlet.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt