tribulations of subsonic 300 BLO reloading

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
Precision

Re: tribulations of subsonic 300 BLO reloading

Post by Precision »

In a bit of further testing. My scale is just fine. The new balance beam scale only weighs to 0.1 grains but the two never measured more than roughly half a grain different from 10 grains up to 250 grains. This was using calibration weights. I don't think it was over or under measure of powder.

I am guessing I am experiencing detonation based on loose powder fill, hot primers or something.

It would seem that I am getting detonation with everything other than CFE Black. I have not rerun the loads and firing to see if I was the screw up, but the seating depth was correct, the loads were just above supersonic down to just below from factory published loads. Not sure where the issue is, but will run them again over the next week or so and see what happens. Will be recovering the brass from each shot and looking, as well as chrony for all shots. More to follow.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

For shits and giggles, I made up a batch of 300blk poverty brass out of a coffee can of Lake City 5.56 range pickups that I have had around for a while. I had bought all of the tooling required (which wasn't much) during the shortages of the Obamalypse.... With power trimmers, power deburr, and a decent primer pocket swager, it wasn't all that bad. The only truly extra step compared to normal brass prep was cutting to length, which went pretty quickly with the chop saw and Von Zep jig. The resizing, final trim to length and case mouth deburr are normal steps, which granted you don't have to do most of the time. Same with pocket swaging; I sometimes have to do that even reloading commercial 300blk brass.

I had bought a package of commercially re-formed 300blk brass mainly as a control, and honestly I think the brass I converted ended up being a little better done. I don't know that I will go to the trouble again given that factory blackout brass is fairly plentiful these days, but it was a good exercise.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Oh by the way, here are some Hornady 208s for only a couple cents more per bullet than the Berrys:

https://www.bluecollarreloading.com/col ... bthp-30733

I received my order from them yesterday short one box of the Hornadys, and when I called them this morning they immediately apologized and promised to get the missing box shipped out Monday. So they seem to be OK, small mom and pop shop I think. Guy in the background was like, " Oh I messed up!"

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I had another thought on the problem Precision was experiencing. Are you SURE what you were using was A1680? Like really, really sure? It would be interesting to pick up a new, sealed jug of it and try again. Of a different lot number, and all that.

BDK

Post by BDK »

What about trail boss for 300 BLK?
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

BDK wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:35 pm What about trail boss for 300 BLK?
I think it's been done. There's probably info about it on 300blktalk.com... I doubt if there is enough case volume there to get anywhere near decent performance with it. I'm getting FPS in the mid 700s with Trail Boss using a 250 grain bullet out of .45 Colt. With a long, heavy 220 grain bullet taking up most of the volume in a 300 Blackout case, not a recipe for good outcome, and probably forget about functioning a semi auto.

Googling..... Here:

http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=88348

Precision

Post by Precision »

Netpackrat wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:02 pm I had another thought on the problem Precision was experiencing. Are you SURE what you were using was A1680? Like really, really sure? It would be interesting to pick up a new, sealed jug of it and try again. Of a different lot number, and all that.
It was a new jug (1#) that I bought just for this.
Could be mislabeled at the factory, but I hope that isn't a thing. Haven't had time to mess with it again, but will after Thanksgiving.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Apparently Accurate has a recall against some powders but not 1680.

Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Netpackrat wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:57 pm Oh by the way, here are some Hornady 208s for only a couple cents more per bullet than the Berrys:

https://www.bluecollarreloading.com/col ... bthp-30733

I received my order from them yesterday short one box of the Hornadys, and when I called them this morning they immediately apologized and promised to get the missing box shipped out Monday. So they seem to be OK, small mom and pop shop I think. Guy in the background was like, " Oh I messed up!"
My missing box of bullets from these guys arrived today along with a hand written apology note.

Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Decent price on 220 grain pulled bullets, about 21 cents each with the 25% off sale they are currently running:

https://americanreloading.com/en/30-cal ... 250ct.html