Luxury Beliefs

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
Precision

Re: Luxury Beliefs

Post by Precision »

Asking for a friend. When does kill a commie for mommie come back in style?
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Weetabix wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:49 pm
Vonz90 wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:50 am
g-man wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:07 pm Reaffirms the concept of 'more money than sense'...
I am not sure I agree. The idea is (as is mentioned in the article) is that the beliefs serve as a signal of status, and thus procure status for the believer at least as long as they have the financial and social resources to transcend them. Status has a lot of value for people (seriously, look how much time and money people will pay for it) and this is probably a low cost means of getting it. Not so low cost for the poor who emulate it, but still.
That's what makes sociology so fascinating. There's room for both of your opinions in here.

More money than sense: the $900 jackets demonstrate that they're not using fiscal sense. The preponderance of North Face fleece a few years ago was the same thing in the midwest.

BUT... that they are also signaling power doesn't disprove the "no sense" issue. Many motivators in human psychology operate subconsciously. Just not always.
I pretty much agree with your points. The thing I firmly believe (and evidence suggests I am right) is that when smart people do things that are (or seem) stupid consistently, then they are likely doing it based on priorities that are either unseen or ar alien enough to go unnoticed in plain sight

This take (of belief as a luxury good) does an excellent job of providing a model to fit the observable data. Why do they believe these things which do not make sense, to gain status. So, does it make sense or not, that depends on how you value status.
Last edited by Vonz90 on Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Termite

Post by Termite »

D5Cav is 95% correct.

The rest is just trimmings.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Weetabix wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:49 pm More money than sense: the $900 jackets demonstrate that they're not using fiscal sense.
When you make millions of dollars a year, spending 900 dollars on a jacket, or say 11 grand on a pair of hand made Lobb boots ( something i would do in a heartbeat if i had that kind of money) is like you buying a 50 cent candy bar.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

HTRN wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:40 pm
Weetabix wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:49 pm More money than sense: the $900 jackets demonstrate that they're not using fiscal sense.
When you make millions of dollars a year, spending 900 dollars on a jacket, or say 11 grand on a pair of hand made Lobb boots ( something i would do in a heartbeat if i had that kind of money) is like you buying a 50 cent candy bar.
Fair enough, but I imagine a lot of it is signalling via the logo.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Well, Lobb is expensive as their the last bespoke shoemakers in the world - theyre literally made to fit you, hence the obscene(by mass market shoes made by unskilled third world peasants earning less than a cup of starbucks a day) price.

Id buy a pair of Wellingtons tomorrow if i could afford them.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

HTRN wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:00 am Well, Lobb is expensive as their the last bespoke shoemakers in the world - theyre literally made to fit you, hence the obscene(by mass market shoes made by unskilled third world peasants earning less than a cup of starbucks a day) price.

Id buy a pair of Wellingtons tomorrow if i could afford them.
We can always count on you! :lol:

I don't know what those shoes cost, but you're venturing over into The Millionaire Mind area, probably. Buying something initially expensive, but with a reasonable life cycle cost is not the same thing as buying something frivolous just to set yourself apart from the serfs.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Its more a case of "I wear 11 eee sized shoes and finding footwear that fits properly is a nightmare".

Seriously, my toenails are all screwed up because while new balance fits halfway decent, its not quite right.

And i think this falls into the Samuel vimes theory of exonomic unfairness.