California turns up the stupid

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
Vonz90

California turns up the stupid

Post by Vonz90 »

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/califo ... -increases

If you wanted to to destroy California, what would you do differently?
Weetabix

Re: California turns up the stupid

Post by Weetabix »

https://fee.org/articles/rent-control-d ... s-couldnt/

Well, suggesting they bomb themselves is out, since they're topping that?

Maybe they could institute a universal basic income of $150,000/year?
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Termite

Post by Termite »

I wonder what percentage of CA's homeless are mentally ill?

If you guys knew how many thousand "Katrina Trailers" were allowed to rot on storage lots, rather than be sold at discount or given to "homeless people", it would make you angry........ :x
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Termite wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:44 pm I wonder what percentage of CA's homeless are mentally ill?
The percentage is about 10-15 per this piece and others I have read. Higher than that for drug use though, like over 50% per this article but I have seen others with higher estimates.

https://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-men ... story.html
Precision

Post by Precision »

homelessness is the lead in the wine of our civilization.
no good will come of this and the genuflection to the crazy will potentially unravel the slight knots we have built in against collapse to the normal human condition.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I guess rents may go down all by themselves to an extent since power isn't continuously available in many CA homes.

https://borepatch.blogspot.com/2019/10/ ... aw-of.html
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Vonz90 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:46 amThe percentage is about 10-15 per this piece and others I have read. Higher than that for drug use though, like over 50% per this article but I have seen others with higher estimates.
Bullshit, more like a least a third. A huge chunk of the mentally ill are also self medicating with narcotics, so theres a large amount of overlap with drg use percentages.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Yep and just like clockwork my daughter and her roommate received notification of a $200/month rent increase yesterday (on a $1500/month 2bdrm rental in Golden Hill area of San Diego).

Landlord has to move quick and get the next couple or 3 years worth of steps in before the limits take effect.

Law of unintended consequences is lost on the Left. Doesn't matter if they hurt that ones they meant to help -- only that they mean't to help.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
randy

Post by randy »

While I can believe any amount of stupidity from California ( or any state's) "leadership", some poking around shows that this might related to one (1) repeater on a state owned tower and the state is treating the repeater owner as a commercial entity trying to get more money for state coffers.

I've not seen anything on this from any of my usual credible Ham news sites at all. If this was a state wide initiative it would have popped up by now on at least one of them (since the source letter referenced in the linked article is from 23 September ).

So, I'm taking a wait and see attitude on this particular item.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".