Does not follow...

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
Greg

Re: Does not follow...

Post by Greg »

HTRN wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:56 am
Netpackrat wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:46 am Remington 7600 in .35 Whelen off the used rack. :ugeek:
Amish machinegun! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Every time ive been in the Hamburg store, theres been a 7600 for sale in the used rack...
I miss the Hamburg store, despite it being an hour and a half each way to get there (at the time).

The store here is terrible.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Greg

Post by Greg »

Netpackrat wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:44 am
Greg wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:01 am When did it become fashionable to grip your AR as far forward on the handguard as absolutely possible, and why?
AKA the Chris Costa grip. Tends not to work well with the AK for multiple reasons.
Thanks for the pointer.

Did a little more research and it seems to be a general trend, other people seem to be in favor of gripping as far forward as possible with the support hand but this fellow seems to have a 'take it up a notch - bam!' kind of approach to it.

The general theory seems to be, the more forward your support hand grips the more leverage it has on the rifle. So you can swing the rifle around with more speed and precision or something, faster transitions in CQB, etc etc.

The 'bam' seems to be that Costa rotates his arm so his elbow would extend horizontally (if it extended, actually the arm is pretty much locked straight). The argument being that that's what you do with your support hand when firing a handgun, so that's what must be good to do with the support hand when firing a rifle.

My objection to the general theory is, you may have more leverage on the gun but your own body has less leverage the farther away any action you take is from your core. So this shit is going to be awkward and exhausting unless you train for it specifically and even then it'll be tiring. Also it would seem to go against a fundamental maxim - big actions are slow. The farther out you push that arm, the bigger the action you have to take to make any adjustment.

My specific objection is, there's one BIG reason why it's to your advantage to have your arms essentially locked out straight when shooting a pistol, and that's to better transfer recoil, with more control. Is your support hand on a rifle transferring recoil? (I suppose the argument could be made that having the support arm out at max extension would make it better at pulling the rifle in to the body, it's essentially forced to do that.)

And there's a shit ton of arguing over this stuff on the 'nets and 'webs.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
g-man

Post by g-man »

Accuracy. The same way that a longer sight radius makes for more accurate aiming, the hands further apart make for a longer moment arm for fine adjustments in aim. It's not so you can move quicker, it's that you're more accurate when moving quickly due to the physics and proprioceptive feedback. Think about the accuracy advantage when using a vertical forward grip on a rifle vs holding the front of the magwell: the forward grip is more accurate because you have to move that hand further left and right for the same swept arc. The 'support arm straight out' is just the reductio ad absurdum version of that line of thinking. There's diminishing returns past a certain point, which is different for each shooter.

And anybody talking about more leverage is in denial over the physics of the situation: Torque at the shoulder doesn't change, and moving the hand further out actually REDUCES the available torque, since moving your hand out doesn't make you any stronger.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Alaska Ammo currently selling Aero gen 2 lowers for $55 each. Did my part to boost Beto’s sales stats.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Greg wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:13 pmI miss the Hamburg store, despite it being an hour and a half each way to get there (at the time).

The store here is terrible.
The hamburg Cabelas is still their largest store afaik.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Vonz90 wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:07 am https://www.foxnews.com/great-outdoors/ ... otographer

Unbearable
Fuuuuuuuuuck.....
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

So, NYC is now going to start fining people, upwards of 250k, who use the term illegal alien, and threaten to call ICE...

Its like they want to give away millions of dollars via civil rights lawsuits.. :roll:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
randy

Post by randy »

HTRN wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:54 pm So, NYC is now going to start fining people, upwards of 250k, who use the term illegal alien, and threaten to call ICE...

Its like they want to give away millions of dollars via civil rights lawsuits.. :roll:
One can only hope.

In the meantime the new NYFC version of the 3 S's is to never threaten to call ICE, just do so anonymously and then shut up about it.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

randy wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:07 pm
HTRN wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:54 pm So, NYC is now going to start fining people, upwards of 250k, who use the term illegal alien, and threaten to call ICE...

One can only hope.

In the meantime the new NYFC version of the 3 S's is to never threaten to call ICE, just do so anonymously and then shut up about it.
I'd bet there's no shortage of obama/clinton/RINO judges who would be happy to uphold this abomination.